Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration New Garage Build **FINAL UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37hotrod, Jun 25, 2020.

1. B31BF2CE-2588-42EF-A4DA-3687BCD57C9A.jpeg 0E4670DD-671F-4D8D-BE6D-5201184CE52F.jpeg 1B1784C1-51D5-4828-9BA4-2C2FC60B3901.jpeg Well, yesterday was a big day here on the farm. Finally got the slab poured and finished for the new garage. Construction of the garage starts on Monday, weather permitting. They claim that they can build it in a week, so move in day is scheduled for early July. Been in the planning stages for a couple years now, can’t believe that it is so close to being done. Stay tuned for more updates as the new World Headquarters for The Bridge City Speed Shop progresses. Here’s a few shots of how she looks right now.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

congratulations

nunattax and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Why no sill plate anchor studs? Are you going pole barn style construction?

I've visited Baraboo. Nice area.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Same question here.Also is that scooter mustang or cushman?

5. Amish building it? If so they will be done in a week and it will be good. Hard workers and quality along with dependability.

5window and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Yes to all the questions. Amish built pole barn style. Have a stack of lumber and some pre-built trusses waiting. Out of that, they will craft a garage that will stand for 100 years...just like the other barns on the property have.

My avatar is a picture of my uncle on his Cushman scooter, back in the early 60s. I do have both a Cushman and a Mustang scooter crammed in the current garage...patiently waiting for some room to breathe.

nunattax, 48fordnut, kiwijeff and 9 others like this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks good. Not sure about the elevation and possible drainage issues based on the photos but I'm sure you've got that all worked out. And finally now that you've got the slab poured I'll tell you what everyone told me when I built my 24x32 shop, you'll wish you made it bigger.:cool:

alanp561, catdad49, MO54Frank and 3 others like this.
  8. Country Joe

Country Joe

Don't forget some type of leaf guard on the drip rails/gutters. Looks leafy there.

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

I was going to suggest leaving the gutters off completely and putting a couple of inches of river rock 6" past the drip line so mud wouldn't splash on the side of the building.

Driver50x and 5window like this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

That statement is so true 9 out of 10 times.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am jealous. :D Congrats

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Well, the garage is 24x70...and it probably is too small already. I already had them increase the size of the apron while they were setting the forms to pour it. :)

catdad49, kiwijeff, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  13. Whenever Dad and I see some lucky duck getting a new building, we look at each other and say at the same time, “it’s not big enough”! Our shop is 24x48, our tractor shed is 36x40, and (don’t tell Mom), we need another building.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, triumph 1, kiwijeff and 7 others like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I remember when my pals helped pour the slab for the garage back at my mom's house. Measured it diagonally corner to corner; right on the money - for a trapezoid! One foot longer on one end.

catdad49, Budget36 and Shutter Speed like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Damn everyone is a builder, with all there in-sites. Congrats on your new shop!

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Yep congrats! All I’ve done for the last year is finish the inside of mine...mine was also Amish built in about a week or two. Enjoy! Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and warhorseracing like this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pour first and then drink beer!:cool:

18. Here's a quick thought. If there is ever a choice between two 8 foot roll-up doors or one 16 foot roll-up door, always go with the 16 foot door. Amazing how inconvenient that divider between two 8 foot doors is when moving vehicles and/or equipment in or out of the building. JMHO...............Don.

19. spanners

spanners

My old shed had two 8' roller doors with a removable mullion between them. Put both doors up, unclip the mullion and remove and you have a 16' opening.

20. Looks great. Did mine last year, started in November. Two young carpenters put it up and dried it in within a week. Didn't think that was bad for a 26x34 that had to be interfaced with a 18x18 carriage barn and there not Amish:rolleyes::)

21. Agreed on the doors. Have 3 16’ doors across the front, plus a man door on the front as well.

22. I was supposed to be building this last October, but ran into winter trying to get all the permits lined up. What a pain.

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Always a great day when construction starts, Congratulations!!!

SO True Andy! When I moved into this place 15 years ago the building was bigger than my old shop & it looked really big. (40x88) . Some years later, I added on 16 ft out the back so it is 56x88! Plans for another 12 or 16 x 40 on the south side are in the works. On this I may go another direction (still researching) & use two new 40 ft containers next to each other, add an angled roof & put the matching Fabral metal on the outside to match the rest of the building, so you can't see they are containers.

Our hobby is a great addiction!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

24. Really nice, you might have enough space... I plan to go out the back of mine by another 12' possibly next spring, 24' x 25' does not cut it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. brady1929

brady1929

Great news. Enjoy.

26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha...mine’s 16’x20’, with a 4x16 shed for workbench room!...timber framed.
    Spent $200 on a local raffle (30 tickets...less than 500 sold).
    Turned out to be my lucky day!

Good thing my Banger is small, and my only project.

Years ago, I screwed up and built my 2-bay garage with the doors under the eaves...
    BIG mistake in snow country! It’s now my wood shop.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. indyjps

indyjps

Congratulations, its a always a big day when the concrete truck comes, means the plan is actually happening.

After working for a builder for a while, my Dad and I doing his 5 garages around town, heres a couple things I did to my latest building. If it helps you or anyone else when planning.

Visqueen under the slab, wish I woulda put in radiant heat tubing, even if i never used it.
    Rebar with fiber mesh concrete, 15 years not a single crack. If youre doing a floating slab, add a footer in front of the overhead door. I prefer a footer all around for movement and frost.
    Spray and stick insulation, worth the money to me. Guys shoot an insulation foam first then use rolls over it, seals it up tight.
    Vent the building WELL, helps with musty garage smell and mold growth.
    14' wall with 12' door. 2x6 walls. Seems excessive, but I can put any workvan or panel truck thru the door, pallet racking fits great, lift if I had one.
    Overwire it, outlet every few feet. All on 20amp circuits, dont max out the electrical runs.
    Lights, theres a lot of threads, so many new options.
    Sheet the inside with osb. Or at least the bottom 4 feet. Drywall seams pop when they freeze, osb takes a beating.
    Paint interior as bright as possible. I did white walls with pink baseboards, when i get questions on the pink. I explain that pink is the perfect color for "trim".
    Baseboards are just osb ripped with caulk bead at the slab.
    Dont forget an outlet for the garage door opener, even if you dont have one planned, quick to add now.
    Driveway. scrape out the drive area and load it with large stone, visqueen under the stone. Then top with C6. Having your stone continue to sink due to no base sucks, the dirt fills in and you continue to add stone and raise the drive above the slab, all is preventable with a good base.
    Building tear down bricks are awesome for driveway base.
    Plan a lean to with stone floor.
    Heat, youre on your own, depends highly in your site, I used gas downdraft house furnace. The site had gas service already.
    My brother is a contractor and has lots of wood scrap by winter, weve build a few double wall wood burners, with different vent and fan options.
    Ceiling fans very nice, add outlets and frame in heavy ceiling supports.
    Ceiling truss area, you can get a lot of storage in there. But you need to plan your bottom beam to accomodate.

I do this cantilever style shelf in home garages, set height so a truck or SUV door opens under it, build a 2x4 rectangle the length of the shelf, set it on ladders at height, anchor to studs. Set my support at 30 degrees or so sitting on the front of the stud and cross brace goes in last. This allows me to build it by myself. If you build them 2' wide the sheeting works, and rubbermaid tubs fit well. Frees up floor space doesnt block vehicles. I put my snow blower and pushmower on them depending on season. Put it in the truck bed, and pull under the shelf, easy 2 person lift.
    20200626_065623.jpg

Hope that helps someone,

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  28. X-cpe

X-cpe

I would be a dead man if my wife had done the math and found out my garage was bigger than the house when I built it. House is now bigger than the garage, so I am safe.

Irish Mike, 37hotrod and stillrunners like this.
  29. ...my first thot was "where's the rest of it?"...it should be about twice as deep,...maybe build a lean-to roof over the apron for more covered work area? good luck with the build.

chryslerfan55 likes this.