Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drake's 40 Ford hood ornament ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, Jul 21, 2014.

1. metalman

metalman

Hey guys, who's used one of Drake's 40 Ford deluxe hood ornament and did you have any issues? I'm trying to put on one but it's way/ way off, sticking up in the back a good inch, the curves don't match at all. I'm trying to figure out if it's my hood that is off or the ornament. FWIW the hood didn't have any obvious damage to the front, we didn't do any bodywork to the crown or anything which make's me lean to a bad ornament. Never had any issues with Bob's stuff before so that too is hard to believe.
    I have a fitment issue with the grill as well but it's Vintique's so that's to be expected.
    DSC_0196.JPG Suggestions?

2. metalman

metalman

Here's a shot from the front, it fits good and all the screw holes line up. DSC_0198.JPG

3. The only thing I can think of is maybe that is for a standard or a 40 pickup.

Edit: I googled it an that looks like a deluxe trim to me. Time to call Drake.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would call Drake on this one, He and his company are stand-up people and will take care of their problems

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. metalman

metalman

Definitely deluxe trim, I have a 40 standard and a 40 truck parked next to this one. The truck has a Drake ornament as well, fit perfect.
    Just got off the phone with Drake's. No help at all, all the guy would say is they never had a problem. I got the ornament at a swap (still in it's original unopened packaging) but I don't have a recite from them on it so they won't help me.

6. Wow, that is way off. I can't imagine what went wrong there. Do you have any way of comparing your hood to another one? Not saying it's not the piece itself but, Drakes stuff is usually on the money, especially '40 parts. Good luck. I'm eager to see how this turns out.

7. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I recently went through the same thing. I believe you are installing it wrong. Once I figured out I had started wrong, then it fell right into place. Im pretty sure its the installation not the product.

8. Bummer about Drake. I would see if anyone local has an original one you can borrow for comparison.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Pic of mine after the wresteling match.

Attached Files:

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

My standard one was the same way (only not as bad) I assumed it was my hood because old one was bent to to fit the contour of the hood. You could see where it was spread out wider where it bent in the curved area. So against my better judgement I carefully used a flapper sander and removed material from the emblem and made it fit better. But I was not happy about it and will redo it again sometime in the future.

11. Before I got the dreaded Deuce Disease I was obsessed with the 40 Fords and have owned more than my far share of DeLuxe Fortys.

I bought 4 Drake ornament/hood handles and never saw anything like that.

Did you get the part from a Drake vendor or from a guy just selling odds & ends parts? HRP

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    olscrounger likes this.
  12. metalman

metalman

Trailer Ed, not the installation, I've done several and know how they go on.
    Hotrodprimer, can't remember the name but the owner of Bitchen products bought this piece as well of lots of other trim and parts from Drake for a 40 he was building, he sold the car before they were put on to a local guy here and he decided to shave all the trim off of it (yuk). I bought all of it luckily for 25 cents on the dollar so at least I won't take too bad a hit if it's junk.
    My delima is I don't want to order another to find out it's the hood but then I don't want to cut and rework the hood either without knowing. 40 Deluxes are rare around here, I can't think of anyone with one right off to compare.

13. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

I used a Drake deluxe , and had good luck with mine.

Tom T

14. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Might see if you could send it back to Drake and have them check it against one of their new ones. I know you didn't buy it from them, but they might be willing to just check it. Another option would be to have someone who has the same Drake part to make a cardboard pattern of the part and/or hood line it is installed on and mail it to you. Third option would be to order one from Drake and check it against the one you have before you unpackage it. That way you could return it if they match.

olscrounger likes this.
  15. fortynut

fortynut

Sometimes you eat the Drake, and sometimes the Drake eats you. I wouldn't be so flip but I read some comments on another post about Bob Drake parts that didn't fit. It makes we wonder if they're being made offshore and not sorted through for quality control, before they're sold. In defense of Bob Drake, whose name I have always associated with top of the line replacement Early Ford parts, there is a possibility what you have on your hands is a counterfeit part. Nonetheless, I agree with the other posters, check it against a known, so you cam verify if it's the part, and not the hood. Otherwise, it's just supposition and postulation as to why it won't fit.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Does the part say "Drake" on it anywhere? I've read that Drake puts their name on everything they manufacture.

Maybe you bought the cheapo part that got replaced by the Drake part. They threw the cheapo in the Drake box and into the swap meet bin it went.

Atwater Mike and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Gee, fits just like my running board covers from Bob Drake, one side is only 1 inch too long.
    I suppose they are made to fit their metal boards instead of Fords.

18. Trying to use a little common sense here. First of all, the part, shown, will not fit, no matter how it's manipulated or fiddled with. The forward portion fits pretty well, so any monkeying with it to get the top to fit will upset the whole shitaree. I have to, correctly, assume that Drake's part is die cast in a permanent mold. Every one of these parts that he makes will either fit nicely or look like the one picture. Ergo, the part, in question, is bogus. I realize common sense isn't very common anymore, so I could be all wet:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike likes this.
  19. metalman

metalman

Actually Carl, you are making sense. I never thought maybe it's a counterfeit. It does say Bob Drake on the inside as well as "made in the USA".
    This morning I found the original piece to the car. Even though it's broken in two it does fit the hood but like the hood, it's not even close to the same curve as the new part.
    Think I'll just order a new one, hopefully it'll fit, I'd sure rather toss my swap meet "find" then tear into the hood. If it's the same then I'll have to rework the hood, that would suck since it's already painted:(.

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Mine came straight from Drake and had the same fitment issues. Maybe not as severe but they were significant. I had to remove a good amount of material from the bottom of the emblem to let the contour work with my hood. My car was a pretty original unrestored running and driving car when I bought it.

21. fatkoop

fatkoop

I used a Drake on my '40 and I had to sand the inside radius a bit to make it fit right, but it eventually did. I also found that on the very front nose of the hood, it makes a big difference if the area where the screw goes is bent in or out as needed to make the ornament fit right. Small changes at the front end made mine work.

22. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

fatkoop that is almost exactly what I had to do to mine. Then it fit like a glove.

23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I had similar problem. I bought a hood ornament and handle at the Portland swap meet a few years ago. it was a Vintique unit so I thought it would fit ok. When I tried it on my hood recently it fit just like your first unit. So I tried it on another hood and it fit about the same.

So I ordered a Drake unit and tried it on. it fit better but not perfect. I had to do a little body work to the hood to make it fit a little better. It still sits about 1/2" off of the hood at the tail of the unit but can be easily pressed down to fit flush with the hood.I may try what Fatkoop did and see if I can get it to fit tight to the hood without the added pressure.

I found that even with Drake stuff every part needs a little or a lot of fine tuning to make it fit just right. Swap meet stuff is such a gamble most of the time. I know that I will not be passing this Vintique unit on to another unsuspecting builder. I just can't do that to people. Oh and I had put some green frog tape on the ornament to protect the chrome while I test fit the Vintique unit. When I pulled the tape off after only a couple of days the first layer of chrome peeled off. Great quality (not)!

24. It's the heat over there that makes the chrome come off.

25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

LOL rramjet! It had been in the climate controlled shop the whole time! But if you tape something up over here and leave it out in the sun you can definitely bake the tape on and ruin a good part.

26. 100% Matt

100% Matt

My frustration level with this is at an all time high... looks like I’ll be busting out the grinder

61473824692__7B343932-17DF-4AEB-9F4D-59AA406ABAC5.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

ChefMike likes this.
  27. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Geez, you guys are making me want to change my 40 deluxe project to a standard since the one on my coupe fits so good.

Kan Kustom and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. That's not a ballpark fit, that's two cities over.:eek:

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have done a lot of 40's sometimes the fit needs help but I have never seen one that far off.

warbird1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Looks like that was caused by heat during the polishing process and not checked in the jig. They aren't even being made anymore.Last mint one sold for over $400 on EBAY a couple weeks ago.I have heard of putting die cast parts in the oven (make sure wife is gone) to heat the part to soften and then fitting it to a pre-made buck

Kan Kustom and olscrounger like this.