Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 351 Windsor/ Clevor problem!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’m having a problem with a 351 Clevor we are turning about 6800 rpm! We spun the 3,4,7 and 8 rod bearings and the 3,4,and 5 main bearings. Four barrel,headers, HEI, not sure which oil pump, 60 psi. 10 quart pan. Any ideas?

No sure what all our engine builder did to the engine, just wonder what “ should” have been done!

Bones

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Make sure he restricted oil to the top end.

SPark

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How much? And where? Thanks

Bones

4. birdman1

birdman1

Clevor is a 351 Windsor block and 351 Cleveland heads. The Windsor block does not need oil restrictors. Since it wiped out the rear 4 rod bearings and the last 3 mains, I would say since the oil pump is at the front of the engine and those bearings are the last to get oil in the oiling system, it was starved for oil. I suggest a high volume oil pump and a 100# spring in the relief valve. IF it is a drag car with a front sump, it could have forced the oil to the rear of the pan and starved the pump. If the engine was built with too tight bearing clearance, all the bearings would have been damaged.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Windage tray is your friend here Bones . Sounds to me like you sucked the pan dry during hard take offs one time too many .

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  6. One issue with the 351W is the 3" main bearings. While this is good for a relatively low-rpm grocery getter, they don't like extended high rpm work as bearing speed can get too high, and you are circle-track racing this I believe. That's why all the Ford race blocks feature the smaller Cleveland main size.

I believe they make bearings/bearing spacers to drop to the Cleveland size, which means another crankshaft, although I don't know if those are particularly favored. Or maybe a combo of a bit more mains clearance along with high volume/pressure oiling. It might also pay to talk to a bearing rep...

loudbang likes this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Might just talk to the engine builder , seems like the obvious choice ....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

We only used a single restrictor on Windsor blocks. We just drove a roll pin in the back valley from the top of the block at the very rear where the 3/4: or so frost plug is under the back of the intake/rear of the lifter valley. Roll pin sits between the 2 galleys, look at it from the back of the block and it should be clear to you. Think they went to the right side galley if I remember correctly.

What pan are you using and how far off the floor was the pickup. Might have the pickup too close to the bottom of the pan.

We never ran special pumps, never spun bearings after the restrictor thing. Not a fan of the 351W to 351C bearing spacers, they tend to be one time use and they move.

What kind of filter system are you using?

With that many bearings spinning, I would have a serious sit down with the engine builder.

SPark

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

You might want to Jimmy Huff about your Ford issues. He will talk you through your Ford oiling issues.

Boneyard51, bobss396 and loudbang like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks guys! Sorry I don’t know much about the specs on this engine, it was built for us by a supposed to be “ good” Ford engine builder. But we have found some short cuts. Thinking of changing builders. It is a circle track engine, I was scared to mention this, thinking it’s OT, but I know there is a wealth of knowledge here on the HAMB and was trying to tap into this! I am trying to determine was “ should” be done to make a Clevor live at high rpm as we are planning on going up in rpm ! So we need to know what to do to make it live! The pan is a 10 quart circle track pan built by Ford motor sports. How do I get in touch with Jimmy Huff? Thanks

Bones

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Losing faith in that engine builder, that is why I am trying to gather information from guys that have been there! Not trying to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

Bones

12. birdman1

birdman1

The 302 is a good engine to consider. Small mains and rod bearings. Are you limited to a cubic inch ? You can build a 347 with Cleveland heads if you have a 360 inch limit. We raced a 351 Cleveland on a half mile dirt track. 4 v heads

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can find Jimmy Huff on Facebook or contact Quain Stott from the Southeast Gassers. He has his phone number.
    Cody Welch from the Moonbeam SEGA Ranchero uses a Dart block with a 4.125 bore and 3.25 stroke to make 354 inches with 3v heads.

14. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks guys! Yes we are limited to 351 cubic inches . USRA B mod rules. But we have been known to bend a few rules.... not really break them..... just bend them quite a bit!
    We are changing to higher compression and a new cam, but need to make the engine live, first!

Bones