Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jessi Coombs awarded LSR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Jun 24, 2020.

1. 5window

5window

pitman, Thor1, warbird1 and 2 others like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God bless her!

Thor1, j hansen and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Very , very nice . :):(

Thor1 likes this.

4. I suspect that somewhere she’s smiling. Possibly even crying tears of joy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and warhorseracing like this.
  5. trollst

trollst

Man, I was just thinking about her earlier today, thinking what her future would have held, you had to respect her, she did it all in her short life.

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. I just don't have words.....:(

The37Kid and Thor1 like this.
  7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I loved to watch her on her TV shows. She had a passion and knowledge that she shared. It is too bad that she was killed, but that was in her blood. She died doing what she loved. RIP Jesse!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  8. chargin03

chargin03

9. catdad49

catdad49

Quite an Honor, but..........

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Bittersweet ......

Jalopy Joker, Thor1, MMM1693 and 3 others like this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Happy to see that she got recognition for her final ride. Met her at TROG 2015 I think, she was very personable and fun to talk with. She will be missed.

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and OLDSMAN like this.
  12. A beautiful lady that followed her beautiful heart. Godspeed Jessie.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed, Bittersweet but well deserved.
    Somewhere along the way I'd hope that those outfits that record those records come out with a Jessi Coombs ruling that any land speed vehicle that attempts a record has to pass specified safety provisions to be able to run for any record.

41 GMC K-18, chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  14. Since I know friends and family I see how mush she is missed. She grew up here and was a pretty cool lady.

pitman, Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Sorry if this offends,,
    It is a slap in the face of real women land speed drivers.

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Another bittersweet. Also enjoyed watching her on the different programs. Beautiful person all around it sure seems.

Thor1 likes this.
  17. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As cool as Jessie was, she should have never gotten into that cockpit of that retired, modified Lockheed F-104 Starfighter. That air frame was never tested or certified for that purpose. All old news at this point indeed. What a shame to loose such a talented lady. But she did what she loved. She will always be missed !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

SCTA would have NEVER allowed Jessie to make any attempt in that airplane at their events, and Jessie had training by SCTA on the salt,,, but sometimes publicity overcomes safety.

19. 34Larry

34Larry

I also think this is bittersweet. Such a major tragedy at the time, but oh so deserving a 1000 times over.
    I live near where this idea originated and while picking up some polished parts once in Auburn Wash. met the originator of the project at that facility. The car???????, was next door and he offered to show it to me and I did go next door to do that. Of course he was looking for donations, which I did do with a $25 check.
    I also saw a test run at Toledo Washington airport while visiting my then in-laws who lived near there. Scary as hell it was, and so damned loud. I followed them for a while on line while still working but after retiring I stopped. It was more than obvious from my beginning knowing the car and following the progress it had that it was incapable of setting a record on the male side of the equation. Having Jessie accomplish it for the ladies of racing is again so, so bitter sweet.
    My sincere condolences once again to the family.

20. You do understand that this is a Guiness record right? The same people who have records for heaviest human, longest fingernails etc.

21. saltracer219

saltracer219

This was a private record attempt, it was not sanctioned by any land speed racing body. The rules you speak of are already in place, this car would have never been allowed to run had an official sanctioning body been involved. If you want to go commit suicide on a dry lake bed in a modified jet with the wings cut off chances are no one will stop you!

chryslerfan55 and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. Not to start up any more crap here, Jessie made a decision. May She RIP.
    But, who was there to record all of this video of the attempt? Surely, NAE didn't pay someone to record it.
    Just asking, J

23. It was testing. No real attempt but they do have video I am sure. When I had a beer with her BIL last winter I did not ask for details. I was fine with his statement that she was doing everything she could to get it stopped until the end. Lets let it rest.

24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am very familiar with the airstrip at Toledo Washington, its a skydiving drop zone as well. The length of the runway is 4479 feet. I have flown in there many times. As you can see in the picture, it isn't the ideal place to be testing a jet powered vehicle. At that test, that you were at, they were very fortunate that there wasn't a mishap that day as well !
    toledo washington airstrip (2).jpg

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Hey guys, let Jesse Rest In Peace. I would have never tried to do what she did in equipment like that, but she had that dream, so I can’t say anything bad about her decision

427 sleeper and Tman like this.
  26. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. 5window

5window

It is a slap in the face. Are you saying she wasn't a real woman? Perhaps not a real driver? Perhaps not driving on land? Maybe not the best idea in hindsight, but she was the person in control of that car at over 500 mph. Your slight is a bit like saying Danica Patrick couldn't drive because she didn't win a lot. I'd say anyone who can drive at NASCAR speeds around a track banked like Charlotte with other cars 6" away is a race car diver.

How many 500+mph runs have you done? Now,lt her rest.

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

AMEN to that

29. Tonys comments are echoed by many in the LSR community. Thrust powered was a huge deal in the 60s. In this day and age, his beliefs mirror a large percentage of the LSR racers. Thrust is still a sideshow, not sanctioned nor regulated. This was less about Jesse being a woman than the fact that they were racing to not a lower safety standard but to NO safety standard except their own. Our SCTA rules were written in blood, the blood of friends and family. Thrust has ALWAYS operated outside these parameters. It is hard for me to say this since I know the family, freinds and even former boyfriends of hers. She was a local gal that achieved a lot. The few brief times we crossed paths at Sturgis or the local pubs she lit up the room. Her choice in the end. I am sure her and Kitty (another Sodak gal) are swapping tales in Heaven.