Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bad Banana Resurrection - 55 Chevy Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Banana, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Not yet. Its about 8 hours from me one way. I was hoping to find one closer. I think they would sell it based on the ad. I'm not in a real hurry yet. I am still taking stuff apart. Just getting the word out and I'll pull the trigger when the time is right.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  2. What part of Texas are you in? I can keep an eye out in DFW.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Weatherford

Dan Hay, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  4. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    from Illinois

Sorry about the crash Rusty. One of my favorite cars. Looking forward to you bringing it back.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Thor1, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Sorry to hear about your bent Banana . You will get it back to better than it ever was.

Thor1, Hang'emHigh and loudbang like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Rusty,
    Give Sid a call, he may be able to help on you axle.
    His website: https://droppedaxles.com/
    Nostalgia Sid's
    5910 East Prairie Grove Lane
    Guthrie, OK. 73044
    Phone/Text 405-416-3080
    [email protected]

Glenn Hayes

Thor1, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  7. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

loudbang, Thor1 and AHotRod like this.
  8. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I've looked at a few pictures. Looks like I really need a '61 model. While other years are similar, they are much heavier and there are other slight differences. For this project it will be important that it is the same. Let me know if anyone runs across one. Springs, u-bolts, and tie rod would be nice too. The factory u-bolts are kind of unique. I'd like to use them. The springs have to be shortened. I can get them new if push comes to shove. They are pretty pricey though. With the Covid thing, I took a big pay cut this year but at least I'm still working. However, this was not a good time for this to happen. May have to wait on some of the stuff. I have plenty of things to do that is "free"...lol

delray57, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Post pictures of what we should be looking for (axle). I know of some, but need help identifying specifically. What makes a ‘61 a ‘61? You work on the car, we will surf the net.;)

loudbang, Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Butch M

Butch M

sorry about the Banana but most of all glad your ok

11. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

http://www.econoline.org/axle_front.php

C1UU - 3010 20200624_092818.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, Chucky and Thor1 like this.
  12. Well, howdy neighbor, I'm on the SW side of Fort Worth, not too far from you.

13. Just now catching up on this and sorry to hear about the crash. Never fun, but glad you are ok most importantly. As far as the axle, I wouldn't be afraid at all to just straighten the one you have. I am guessing that will be your best and most economical way to keep it the way it was with the same axle. I have seen way worse bends in axles straightened with no issues. Sid is definitely your guy not too far away to make it happen. And, I might even be able to help with getting the axle back and forth if needed since I go down there every now and then and happen to be neighbors and good friends with Sid.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  14. Also, not sure if you are considering fixing the fiberglass front end, but that should be fixable too if you wanted to save it. I might be able to help with that unless you wanted to do it yourself. Strangely enough, I enjoy working on fiberglass and would love to see this go back together with as many of the same parts as possible.

Edit: added pic of why I likely enjoy working on broken fiberglass. I have been around it most of my life and learned it from my dad. Even watched him fix a couple mid-year roadsters that had been through fires back when they probably shouldn’t have been fixed since they weren’t worth anything...

B381A396-F2DE-489B-AE4F-614D79B7CCAE.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  15. jim snow

jim snow

That right there is a hell of an offer. Good on you.jmho. Snowman

16. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

As far as the axle goes, I am on the fence about fixing it. It was bent before when my dad got it from the junkyard and its bent and twisted this time. The right kingpin is bent and the right spindle won't turn without major effort. I may have found a replacement already pretty reasonable and not far from me with most everything I need and that would be easier. That would make this one a wall hanger. If this one doesn't pan out, I will probably keep looking. They are out there. At this point, I would feel more comfortable with one that hasn't been thru a couple wrecks already.

The fiberglass front is the part that worries me the most. I do NOT have much body work experience and not really much desire to learn. I did evaluate the pieces and I do have probably 95% of the front in probably 10-12 pieces. I would love to have someone help save it.

17. I understand your thoughts on the axle. And, sounds like you have plenty of the front clip to make it fairly easy to put back together. From looking at the pics, I assumed you had most of it. I’m serious about the offer to put it back together for you if you want to save it. As long as you aren’t in a big hurry, I should be able to help while also maybe trying to teach my kids how to do fiberglass repair. I don’t do bodywork full time anymore, but like doing stuff like this.

18. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Sent you a private message on here.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can't beat a deal like that . I had a big truck bodyman show me how to fix a 41 Willys front end after I smacked the guard rail . It was in 8 pieces and much worse than yours . You could not tell it after he got it done and I learned a new thing to add to my bank of knowledge.

20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

21. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

22. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I am humbled by the outpouring of support for the old Bad Banana. There are a lot of parts headed my way and also offers of help to fix it. You people are great! It will be a while but it will be back!!

23. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I don't know if this is against forum rules or not. If not allowed, I can delete this post.

There have been people asking for t-shirts to help with the rebuild. I do have all sizes from child XS to adult 5X (but only a few of the extreme sizes) mostly L, XL and 2XL. It costs about $4 to ship one. I can ship up to 3 shirts for the same $4 in the same package. I can take Pay Pal or Facebook Marketplace for payment but I don't have a way to pay by credit card. I'm asking $20 for the sizes up to XL. 2XL and above I need $25. You can message me here or on Facebook or my email is my last name first name at gmail dot com (name all one word) Thanks again for your support.

By the way, If you help with parts or labor, you don't buy t-shirts. You get them free. :D

Tshirt 1.jpg tshirt 2.jpg

Countn'Carbs, -Brent-, Hren59 and 9 others like this.
  24. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Hated to hear this, glad things are starting to go in the right direction. I fixed it but I wouldn't wish that on any body but I'm not crazy about body work. Good luck, if I was closer I'd help you out, I've seen the car run, pretty cool ride with history to back it up.

-Brent-, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  26. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Just an update. Things are slowly headed in the right direction. I have pretty much inspected most of the components that were involved in the damage. Made most of my decisions as to whether to replace vs repair. It's been hot here and my shop is hot but I do have a small room that has A/C so I have been trying to work on stuff that will fit in that room. The fuel pump, filter, and bracket took a hard blow. It broke both the pump and the filter off the mounting. I was pretty much able to save both the pump (even the pulleys) and the filter but since I had the material to make a new bracket I just did that. I was able to pretty much copy what was on there.

The engine mount on the engine and the frame were original C1 Corvette pieces that are stamped steel. That stuff is hard to straighten and it is important to have that straight. I got lucky and a guy had both the engine and frame mounts on Ebay and was willing to discount them to me for this project. It will make it much easier to get the engine mounted back where it was.

I have been pushing the frame of the car around and it is getting there. No pics of that as it still looks bad but I have a plan to save as much of the original frame as possible. The steering box mounting is way off and that will probably take the most time to correct as I really want to restore that back the way it was. It looks like I can get it pretty close but time will tell. It will take a lot of time to slowly iron it out but based on what I was able to do so far, I feel pretty good I can get it where I want it. That will definitely be the most time consuming part of the repair.

This rebuild I am not under the pressure of a time constraint like I was 10 years ago. I will eat this project like you eat an elephant. One bite at a time. I have no deadline looming. It will be right before I climb back in it again. No matter how long it takes.

20200703_212611[1].jpg 20200703_212550[1].jpg 20200703_160608[1].jpg 20200703_141050[1].jpg 20200703_141003[1].jpg 20200703_140947[1].jpg

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

Ray's Champion Spring in Ft. Worth can make the u-bolts and probably the springs also. They have been around a long time and have been good to deal with in the past.

28. I’ll take a 2x....... PM me with details

BigMike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

I called them and the guy who does the springs is off this week and will be back on Monday. Sounds like they can fix me up. Thanks!

30. Like putting a puzzle back together... Hoping to turn it back into one piece fairly soon now that I found time to get started.

C2EE3146-AB20-4831-B7B6-C2200540D670.jpeg 6B49619A-B276-4576-8D9A-50A7884676D1.jpeg