Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Fenton cast iron headers for 289 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert Strac, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

I posted this in the classified section, but I wanted this to reach out to anyone that could help....
    Does anyone out there have a set of Fenton exhaust manifolds for a 289 Ford they'd like to sell? (Or any kind of information on them...part numbers etc.?) Would love to take em off your hands! Need 'em to restore an old George Barris Custom that's near and dear to everyone's hearts! The previous owners took em off...whereabouts unknown :-( ...screwed the valve covers and induction to a wooden box to hang it from a ceiling! We have the original engine...no exhaust manifolds (the original custom had the Fentons chromed). Please help!

F-ONE and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I've never seen or even heard that Fenton made cast iron headers for a small block Ford. That's gotta be a hard item to find. I've seen them for flatheads, Chevy and GMC sixes, Y-blocks, and even Olds and SBC's. Good luck. You'd probably get a better response if you told us the car you are restoring.

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They existed?

4. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

Dragula!

Snicklefritz65 and F-ONE like this.

5. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

Yes...have a pic.

6. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Man! Those are cool! Never seen them before!

Bones

8. Found one of the Dragula coffin cars it appears...

9. If I remember correctly, you will find them on the early cobra roadster. I ran across that info years ago. I've only seen pics on ebay and the price was substantial.

Elcohaulic and sunbeam like this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

Isn't there another 60's sporty car that used a SBF? I seem to remember reading about something that was a tight fit into a small car and it had special cast headers. I'm not saying what you search isn't really a Fenton product, but maybe the other car would be a source without the Fenton name.

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Shelby cobra 289 cars ran those. I think you may be able to buy reproductions from a Shelby site, can't imagine they will be cheap though.

12. Those in the Photo are not Cobra's they are Sunbeam Tiger V-8 manifolds. Today your talking Hen's teeth.

13. alchemy

alchemy

That's the car I thought I was thinking of. Still gotta be more Sunbeam Tigers around than Dragulas.

14. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The repro ones are copied from the Hipo 289, which are kind of swoopy stock units, not at all like the earlier pictured (Fenton?) ones. I'm pretty sure the Tigers used them.

15. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

Hey guys...Thanks for all the input! Called Billy Belmont from Belmont's Rod And Custom. He knew the car and knew that George Barris used AC Cobra parts on it. They are in fact AC Cobra Slab Manifolds. I found a guy, Mike McCluskey of McCluskey Ltd, who reproduces these! Fresh set coming! BTW...that is THE Dragula...not just one of em. George Barris autographed her while he was still alive. Super cool car! This was a record for me....only took 3 hours to run em down! Usually it's 3 days/weeks/years/ decades ....or not in 3 lifetimes! You know the drill. Seriously, thanks for all of your help

16. Robert Strac

Robert Strac

Yeah! Wish they made em for a Nailhead! Lol!

kidcampbell71 and seb fontana like this.
  17. flatford39

flatford39

Maybe Sunbeam Tigers.....but finding one is about as hard as an early cobra.

loudbang likes this.
  18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sunbeam Tiger
    117fxw3.jpg

aauadu.jpg

[​IMG]

19. What's the cost for these reproduction ones?

20. mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's going on with the bottom manifold? It seems to have a Ford casting number, but the head bolt holes are not all in the same line like a small block Ford head (and manifold).

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  22. Not real sure if it is the angle that the manifold is in the picture but it could be the different length bolt bosses. One short and one longer on some manifolds but I do not remember what they were on.

23. Yes, a lot of Ford manifolds had a long and short bolt pairing per port. This could cause an optical illusion in the pic?
    Here's another set from the head side:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It must be as you fellows have pointed out, an illusion due to the alternating height of the bolt bosses. But a pretty good illusion!
    The left manifold seems to be the one from the early Falcon/Comet that was designed to clear the steering box.
    Even thirty years ago it was a tough one to find when swapping a V8 into an early Falcon.

And the right side one is a special Tiger piece no doubt. Can you post a picture of the casting number on it?

25. rr64

rr64
    from Montana

[​IMG]
    The cast iron Y exhaust manifolds used on 260 and 289 powered Cobras 1962-65 were made in England for AC Cars. AC Cars provided most the exhaust system parts except some clamps, some fasteners, tail pipes, and optional chrome plated tail pipe tips. Exhaust components were shipped along with rolling chassis. The early Cobra Y manifolds had the AC Cars engineering number cast into them. The 1966-67 427 Cobra street exhaust log manifolds in cast iron were also supplied by AC Cars. The pictures Lynn Park sent me show an AC Cars engineering number cast into the 427/428 engine manifolds.

I have no idea who made the optional Sunbeam Tiger Y manifold but they are easy to spot different than Cobra ones. Tiger, two stud outlet flange and TIGER lettering. Cobra, three stud outlet flange.

Original Cobra Y

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  26. Looking at the Barris pic, you actually see TIGER on the manifold (now that I know what to look for:rolleyes:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Not mine, I found the pic via the power of Google images. ;)

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I knew it was Dragula when mentioned parts displayed on the wall.
    Kudos!

The Coach and Dragula have to be the 2 most famous SBF powered rods.

loudbang likes this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Congrats on getting yours. Be nice to have some for my 250 Chevy.