Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs copper oil pressure line vs plastic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ned5049, Aug 1, 2018.

1. D9CCBD70-6539-43AE-BEDB-5CFD1EB6B38C.jpeg I’ve used copper tubing in several cars with no problems for quite a few years. I put a couple loops in it to soak up the vibration (yeah, I probably over do it), and run it through a grommet in the firewall.

I had a plastic one once, but I wasn’t comfortable with it. I replaced it before it failed.

Elcohaulic and coolhandponcho54 like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Hard to bend over and pinch plastic tubing so you can get home like you can with copper tubing.

3. Fordors

Fordors

I have had and still do have plastic line on my cars and never had a problem. I wonder if the guys that had a line break off got too heavy handed cinching down the ferrule, if it bites too much into the line whether plastic or copper you run the risk of breakage. Tighten it a bit, run the engine, check and if necessary then a touch more until the leak stops.

54vicky likes this.
  4. X-cpe

X-cpe

One of the most un-fun jobs I ever had. Oil line broke behind the dash of a new Corvette and the owner ran it until he soaked the back of the dash and the carpets. Then with the car still apart we had to swap buildings with the body shop because they tore down 2/3 of ours due to Metro system construction.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Stuff breaks, happened to me, luckily I was on my way to a job an had some 50/50 solder on board. Nipped a little piece of and put it in the pipe to comp. fitting snugged up the comp. nut and off I went. Always keep about an inch on board just for that. 1/8 inch comp is a little weak

6. deucemac

deucemac

I had plastic tube and it hardened and broke. So, I used copper tube, coiled and it hardened at the fitting and broke. I went to braided line with Teflon liner, an fittings, a bulkhead fitting for an and adapters at the block and gauge. That was in 1990 on my 1968 El Camino. Now 28 years later, 3 engines since and nearly a half million miles driven, the original lines and fittings are working like the day I installed it. I have done the same on every mechanical oil gauge setup on every engine of every car that I have built for me or my customers and NEVER had any problem. Just remember to engineer some slack for the line going from the engine to the bulkhead fitting and life can be good.

Deuces and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I just run -3AN or -4AN (doesn't really matter) line from engine to firewall, bulkhead fitting at firewall and -3AN or -4AN from bulkhead to gauge. Simple and never have to mess with it. If you change gauges or pull the engine, the bulkhead at the firewall simplifies things. Did that for many years on race cars.
    SPark

seb fontana, deucemac and Deuces like this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like to use 3- or4-AN also. Just don't trust either the copper or the plastic.

9. I use the steel line from the square cab pickups. it has a couple of coils in it. Im not worried about having a guage to tell the oil pressure any how. I learned long ago high oil pressure doesnt necessarly mean long engine life. The idiot light works just fine on my daily driver beater work truck. A 66 GMC. A working temp guage is more importiant to me. It will let me know that the engines getting hot before it overheats. I like the mechanical bourdon tube temp guage.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. egads

egads

Bourdon tube ;)

Old wolf likes this.
  11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

McMaster Carr has 1/8" stainless steel tubing in 6 ft lengths. I have used it in several cars with no problems yet.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Thanks guys.... now you have me concerned about the plastic line on mine :D I went out and made sure Dad routed his with no strain, angles or near a heat source and it looks good with no leaks. I've run the plastic line for years on several vehicles with no problems.
    However, I've decided to throw a brass plug into my tool kit in case it ruptures on the road. Easy to get to the port on the block and remove the fitting and put in the plug. Now that I have a plug, I'll never have an issue ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    41 GMC K-18, seb fontana and Deuces like this.
  13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have used a light for years , easy install, Never seems to screw up, Hell I even use a light for the charging system also.

Montana1 likes this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the way you think, AND you have great taste in rides ! My roadster is red. LOL

15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I think you and I shared a few classes.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Reviving this old thread because I just went through a plastic line failure last night. A two week old plastic line! I recently got my '39 Chev coupe on the road and was headed out to get together with some car buddies for dinner. Got about 5 miles from home when suddenly smoke was pouring into the passenger compartment through the cowl vent. Smoke also pouring out the open hood sides on my car. I fortunately was right by an apartment complex, so killed the engine and turned into the lot.
    I got out to see what went wrong, and found oil all over the engine bay, plus all over the front fenders! The oil on my headers was on fire, but fortunately not much oil, as it quickly extinguished itself. I did a quick look around, and found the oil pressure gauge line had pulled out of the fitting at the engine! It simply slipped out of the compression fitting! The plastic line was extremely soft and pliable from engine heat, and it seems that's what made it let go. Engine was running 175-180 degrees, but ambient temp was around 92 degrees.
    Had the car towed home, and used my pressure washer and degreaser to wash down the body and engine bay. Then bought a copper tubing gauge kit, and replaced the plastic line with copper. I have 10 year old plastic lines on two other hotrods, and I ordered copper line kits for them also. They may eventually crack, or leak, but they damn sure wont simply pull out because they got soft and wimpy like plastic can.

17. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

That could have been catastrophic! I am not a fan of the translucent plastic line that is supplied with most gauges either, but I am also not fond of copper. I recently found some hydraulic spec “plastic” tubing that is used for industrial applications, it is black and is rated at 500lbs. I installed it in my project car being careful how it is routed and making sure there will be no chance of abrasion. The black color makes the tubing almost invisible on my engine.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Fogger

Fogger

On two of my cars I had a local hose shop make up high pressure lines between the engine blocks and the S&W gauges. On my Roadster I used copper with loops. Like anything any material can fail and spray hot oil. IMG_0906.jpg

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ah, so familiar! In the '80s when I had my shop, younger brother hung around, his stoner friends would drop by. I'd run 'em off, almost daily!
    One late night, brother comes driving in the door with his '50 Merc.
    "Mike! I broke an oil line! To the gauge..." I knew what to believe...the little accessory gauges (amps/oil pressure) he installed was an oily mess.
    He had 'fixed' it with a pair of my stainless surgical locking needle holders!
    (did I suspect where they went? Oh my, the ends were 'resin-stained', I hadn't seen them in 2 months...) What a genius...easy pinch. Genius: Easily 'purloined'. Plenty more where those came from... (Grrrrrr.....)
    He had started a 'tool collection'. At my unknown expense...

dirty old man likes this.
  20. I haven't tried it with plastic oil line but I've done it many times with plastic drip irrigation tubing. In fact, it's a standard way that irrigation hose is terminated. Just bend it 180 onto itself and hold it there with a nylon tie, string, tape, or whatever. The irrigation kits supply plastic rings to do the job.

loudbang likes this.
  21. I had a plastic line fail years ago when I was driving down the road- I’m sure it was likely my fault with a poor installation. The hot oil spraying onto the floor and my leg was reason enough to use electric gauges exclusively in anything I built after that.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  22. adam401

adam401

I have a braided line going from my flathead to the oil guage. I was worried about a copper line splitting with all the shakes and rattles of an old jalopy. Its silver and looks like shit on a early type hot rod so I wrapped it in black cloth tape. Much better and I feel confident about it. Copper woulda probably been fine but whatever.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  23. bobscogin

bobscogin

About 55 years ago, I had an old car with a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the dash and copper tubing. The dash lost its ground and guess what the next best ground path was? Yup, the copper tube between the gauge and the engine. Lots of smoke.

Bob

loudbang likes this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've been using AN4 braided line for oil pressure gauges since the 50s, and I don't give a rat's ass who thinks it looks like shit. It works and it's safe and secure.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  25. 5window

5window

There is a chronic shortage of rat asses on the HAMB. over the years, very few people will give one.

26. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^ Just remember, lot's of folks like a little ass, but very few like a smart ass.

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like has been said use copper with a couple of loops to absorb vibrations and you won’t have a problem.

28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I sleeve my copper tubing with clear plastic hose from Lowes, then put a clamp at each endin case it springs a hole.. The clear hose also makes the tubing look nice and keeps it shiny..

29. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Has anybody found 1/8 cunefer tubing I looked all over Google no luck I do like the idea of stainless though

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have never seen copper fail because it was to close the exhaust.