Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ford 260

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fisher400, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Hypothetical question for the SBF guys. If you were presented the opportunity to buy a low mileage 260 ford full engine that was fully rebuilt and put out about 270-280 hp on the dyno. You know, hot cam, 4 barrel etc. what kind of price range would move your hand? You don’t need to remind me why a 289 or 302 is better lol. I just am trying to be educated and I have seen very little on 260s. Hopped up 260s might be good deals considering they are black sheep of the SBF family...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

The oddball motor mount pads and the 5 bolt bell housing are 2 counts against it, unless it was going into a period correct cobra clone, I can't think of any car that I would put it in.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Not all of them have the odd motor mounts, and the 5-bolt bell can be either a plus or minus depending what you're doing. If looking for a low-buck swap into a '49-64 ford with a manual trans, it'll bolt up to the early trans with no drama. And the 260 won't make so much power that you'll have to worry about breaking stuff. And with the exception of pistons, you still have nearly the full gamut of replacement and aftermarket 289/302 bits that fit the motor. The biggest performance limit on them is the small bore size limits how big a valve you can fit which limits breathing.

As to price, well that would depend. How many miles, what sort of documentation does it have, and I guess how bad do you want it? My guess is the upper limit would be about $2K, with most in the $1K to 1.5K range as described assuming a complete turnkey motor.

Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks, not sure yet on all the details. Less than 500 miles on the motor, no more than 3 years since build. The provenience is solid too. I have a totally stock 260 that needs a few things now. Nothing major but the little things add up lol. Something fresh and a little hotter has me thinking. A 260 would be a drop in replacement and still be correct for the car too. Just need to talk it out and get a feel for the market value. Thanks!

Hnstray likes this.

5. The 5-bolt motors don't get any love these days because of the difficulty of connecting a later trans to them and finding a replacement if needed. But it's still a SBF, and the 260 is a peppy motor if not the powerhouse the 289/302 became. If you're replacing one, it will save all the hassle of changing over to 6-bolt stuff, so it will save you money.

Deuces, Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The price would depend on a lot of details we don't know, like if it is an early 260 with the lighter connecting rods, retains its cast pistons, what intake and carb it has etc.

The details will determine if it will last at that high power output.

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It might be a great little motor but the size and five bolt bellhousing make it a white elephant and hard to sell. $1500 at the most.

Fisher400 likes this.
  8. Are you buying from a friend you know,and trust,or is it a craigs list find? Buying from a unknown person is a crap shoot as to whats in it.You would be a head rebuilding yours with the same money.

9. If your swapping it for another 260 it’s a bolt in, plus you get the extra parts and hardware from your engine as spares etc.
    So the odd bell is of no concern.

mid you know the guy selling it or the “ provenance “ is solid that it’s built and not run long.

1500-2000 is a great buy.

Your not building one for that money.

mans even if your engine needs a freshen up, you will be hard pressed to do it for that kinda money.

I sold a fully rebuilt inline 6 261 a while ago and the guy buying it was a bit Leary.
    I told him I would pull the pan and valve cover, if he did not but the engine he owed me $50 bucks for the head gasket as I would pop the head off for him as well..... I had nothing to hide and he walked away with a fantastic engine for under $4 grand.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Not sure of the date, I can id them quickly though. It was a full rebuild. Connecting rods, street pistons, hot cam, 600 cfm carb aluminum intake. Need to get the details of course...

11. bathcollector

bathcollector

What do you mean by oddball mounts ? I have a '64 260 that runs standard sbf mounts. A good little engine.

Cooon likes this.
  12. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Early 260s have a smaller distance between the mounting bolts on the block. You have to drill out the engine mounts to fit. Not a big deal. If your block has two freeze plugs per side, then it’s the small bolt width (early) if you have 3 freeze plugs per side it is the wider mounting hole (later) that I think is standard for SBF 288-302. My current engine is a nov. 62 and the 2 freeze plug. Appearance wise early 260s can be mistaken for 221s...

bathcollector likes this.
  13. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The difference is that the early engine mount bolt holes are 6" apart, the later ones 7".
    Only one of the engine mount holes on each side moved, one side went forward an inch and the other side, backward.

bathcollector likes this.
  14. bathcollector

bathcollector

Didn't know that. Something to remember.

62rebel likes this.
  15. 62rebel

62rebel

Might not have been an issue for Oz small block