Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Favorite Shoot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

My Favorite Shoot

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I just like cars. Old, new, traditional, Italian, etc etc. I'm the type of person who if won the lottery would have a 60's Ferrari sitting next to a pre-war Deuce. Variety is the spice of life.

36 ROKIT, HEMI32, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. "I’ve always wanted to do another juxtaposition shoot. I think an ideal pairing would be a ’32 roadster and a Porsche 911 of a very distinct generation. I’ve already gotten a bulk of the feature written in my head and again, it’s all about intent. You guys are gonna hate it."
    Not me, I'm in.

63fdsnr and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Loved it when you first posted, especially the shots with the old control tower, and I still think it's cool today.

I mean come on; it's not like you posed the cars next to a 4 door Hyundai.

Dan Hay likes this.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fuck that guy seconded

-Brent- likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I've always admired any car with Enzo's name on it...I've wanted one since Miami Vice came on the air. I want a street legal racecar...And if I ever have one, it'll have a vintage Ford of some type parked next to it. I love that Journal entry. Always have, always will.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I drove a 458 Spider last week. It was a fun car to bomb around the city in for a little while but honestly it's not a car that's meant to drive in a city. Harsh ride, stiff seat bolsters, weird transmission that comes out of gear at a stop... for a price of more than the average home in the USA, I expected better. Great exhaust note though.

tractorguy likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is still one of the best looking Ferrari's around in my book. Sounds like a great day.

9. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

its only cars but given what is going on right now in our country we need examples of two different worlds coming together with common interests.

Baumi and wbrw32 like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ferraris need the engine mid-ship not out front. Like I can afford to be picky when it comes to the Italian stallion. Always wanted one, likely never own one unless I sell all my toys, lose 70 pounds and buy a new wardrobe.

I get the whole juxtaposition thing but I would rather see a GT 250 California Spyder next to the hot rod to keep the vintage vibe and still be from two different schools of thought and design.

Neat idea though Ryan. It has given me a couple of ideas.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Almost none of the taste in cars that I had 20 years ago is still present in my system... things change as you age. I have never lost my zeal for "car people" though. I can bench race just as easily with an old hot rodder as I can with a guy that is into drift cars. We all have that same genetic flaw that causes us to love all things "car".

I enjoyed the feature, love all three cars for what they are, and truly believe that hanging out for a little bench racing with a Ferrari guy would be pretty cool. Neat feature Ryan!

Thor1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. I like some cars and dislike others and my opinion doesn't matter to anyone but myself, I could give a rats rear end about a Ferrari but I secretly love the early 356 Porsche Speedsters along with Shelby 350's but can't afford them.

Nether one is hamb friendly, I'm a old school kind of guy and usually like a car that's a old war horse.

Ryan, post away, being the Boss you have the freedom to color outside the lines, had I posted the title thread I'm sure the delete button couldn't be clicked fast enough. ;)

I'll read what you and others have to say, will I agree? probably not. HRP

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love ya Ryan, and love the HAMB...but let me be the first to say I WOULD HATE IT. I understand it (sort of) from a journalistic view, but would still hate it for several reasons.

Just too far a stretch comparing a traditional '32 to a Porsche 911. Let see, one is built in a home garage with buddies and beer on a carefully monitored budget...the other is built in an industrial complex with an army of engineers and designers and unlimited capital. One is built to drive and enjoy...the other is built for profit.

Not to mention, we have been taught (conditioned) to NOT post anything Off Topic. We can't even show/mention anything street roddy or rat roddy (let alone a Porsche or Ferrari) without the Mods axing our post. Our more modern innovations like M11 or Jag rears, gone.

Lastly, I hate anything that doesn't use SAE bolts.

JMHO

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think one of neat reasons for doing it with the specific generation 911 I have in mind is to show guys that don't know much about the car that this isn't the case. The parallels between an early 911 (and even some later examples) is actually kind of crazy.

Plus, the comparison would be done more to highlight certain aspects of the '32 relative to the rest of the world than it would be to "feature" a Porsche. Like, I don't think the "Ferrari shoot" was done at all to show off a Ferrari... It was more about showing off two traditional cars with the Ferrari as a sort of backdrop and comparison point.

Yeah, this bothers me a bit... Fun brain exercise for me could easily be construed as hypocrisy. And no one like to be labeled a hypocrite. Those emails piss me off. :)

Me too... Man... I've been doing a lot of nerd tech projects lately. I hate the metric system. :)

Nostrebor and dana barlow like this.
  15. Deadender60

Deadender60

Did something similar in 2015. We brought out a low rider, coupe, lambo & a chevy truck for a project that never happened or technically has happened yet (there's still hope haha) I'll be the first o admit I'm not the biggest fan of exotic cars but I still can appreciate them. I also admit the photography isn't all that great.

Attached Files:

16. As a car enthusiast, I get it completely. My taste, interest and appreciation for all things mechanical is typically a bit broader than the confines of the HAMB and like many others, I've made a couple posts that were deemed off topic. But, I understand that this your place Ryan and you (and your band of fellow adminstrators) have done a fantastic job of keeping the site interesting, relevant and relatively free from internet type drama.

I would like to add a further comment about the Ferarri owning lawyer...it sounds like he too was a "car guy"...and I appreciate that. I don't however care for the type of late model exotic car owner that shows nothing but distain for those lesser cars and/or owners that don't meet their standard of exotic car ownership. Some Corvette owners have been known to have similar reputations. I tend to walk away when I experience these type of owners. Sadly, that seems to be more often than not.

Baumi and Rolleiflex like this.
  17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

One of my favorite drives in my Shoebox Ford was a trip to the cabin. I'm going north on I75 at a pretty good clip when I see an orange blur really coming up fast. An orange Lamborghini pulls up nest to me with 2 guys taking pics of my beater and giving thumbs up like mad...THOSE are car guys. They get it....they can afford to 'get it' at a more expensive point than I. It was cool...

18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I liked it. Liking or being dedicated to one genre of auto doesn't mean you can't appreciate or recognize others. Hell isn't it that appreciation for the others that got us started into incorporating different manufacturers tips and tricks into our own hot rods?

19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Ryan, Thanks for the reply...not necessary…but I'm honored.

I certainly meant you no disrespect and I hope you took most of my post as "tongue in cheek" blathering, except maybe the part about @Moriarity whacking my posts all the time (usually well deserved though);)

It must just be my distaste for them damn "furrin cars":p

20. @Ryan -

Your "My Favorite Shoot" reminds me allot of my "My Favorite Shoot".

In the mid '80s, I tagged along with my father ("Deuce Bruce" Olson) & Gary "Goodguy" Meadors to shoot the final installment of a 3-part feature article they did for HOT ROD magazine.

The (off topic for the H.A.M.B.) car was a mid-engined roadster called "BLACK FOG" ... based on a concept drawing by Art Voorhees:

Black Fog - Concept Drawings (by Art Voorhees).jpg

... built by Fresno Hot Rodders (Ronnie) White & (Pepper) Snow for Don VanVranken ... to compete for the 1985 AMBR award ... and then to be driven hard!

The first installment of the "A ROADSTER for OAKLAND" article appeared in the January 1985 issue, the second installment appeared in the February 1985 issue, & the third installment (a road test of the car) was supposed to appear in the March 1985 issue.

It was the photo session for that third part of the article that was "My Favorite Shoot."

The "road test" photos were taken on the the Sears Point International Raceway (now Sonoma Raceway) road course.

We "juxtaposed" the Black Fog roadster with some contemporary mid-engined supercars:

Black Fog (@ Sears Pt. Raceway - 2).jpg Black Fog (@ Sears Pt. Raceway - 1).jpg Black Fog (@ Sears Pt. Raceway - 3).jpg

Side-note: The Lamborghini Miura was by far my favorite "supercar" in the group.

Rolleiflex, BrerHair and Tman like this.
  21. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I had to reply to agree that this is a really cool story. I've been in the same boat, and it really justifies the effort you have put into a car when someone from a completely different genre almost runs you over just to snap photos of you doing your thing in your car. My wife daily drove a really nice Corvair convertible for several years that was lowered and hot rodded in the sense that you would hot rod a Corvair. It was resto-modded in today's terms. We were chased down on more than one occasion on the highway by something way out of our league only to be photographed. It was always a surreal experience.

flatheadpete likes this.
  22. That was a cool shoot.

23. I think the contrast was just right. If not in black and white it would have failed IMO.

24. My favorite hot rod sports car shoot

upload_2020-6-24_18-9-35.png

36 ROKIT, El Hueso and Jalopy Joker like this.
  25. adam401

adam401

I love early Fords and I love aircooled Porsches so go ahead... I dare you.

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

different strokes for different folks - on this terrific site have had pics deleted for a post-'65 in the distant background - have been ridiculed for not recognizing the year and model of a front axle under a ride - I admire, and desire, a wide range of many makes, models & years - SEMA is a great place to soak in creativity of the automotive world - but, for this site to open up beyond the existing parameters I don't know - you are the main man here and can do as you like - maybe start another site that accepts the blends and contrasts of old and new American & foreign bred -

27. longhorizon

longhorizon

28. longhorizon

longhorizon

My post seems to have inadvertently been included in Ryan's quote. Apologies.

29. 66gmc

66gmc

A while ago I did a bunch of work on an early 911 for a customer. It didnt take long to realize just how closely related the Porsche and traditional hot rod world is...and it goes deeper than just making a small lightweight car perform with obsolete technology. There is the same obsession over having all the correct details and parts, and while certain body modifications are acceptable, anything that detracts from the character of the original design is frowned upon (like fitting the bumpers without the big clunky rubber seals is the equivalent of flush fitting doors on a model A)

30. Awwww, and I thought this was your favorite photo shoot. mahonybest.jpg

Tim, Blakmerk, 36 ROKIT and 2 others like this.