Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 61 Ford f100 Unibody

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Twinkeel, May 21, 2020.

1. Twinkeel

Twinkeel

I love that!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Nostrebor and loudbang like this.
  2. Twinkeel

Twinkeel

Well that didn’t last long haha!

[​IMG]

The heater core blew as I was pulling into the parking lot of my local coffee spot this morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I called AAA and had it towed it back to the shop. We bypassed the heater for now while I hunt for a replacement. I don’t think anyone makes a stock style replacement. So if anyone has a lead on a used one, I’d appreciate it.

I found this badass factory dash cluster with a tach and a switch for emergency flashers. I couldn’t resist.

[​IMG]

I’m going to hook the emergency flasher switch up to this badass pair of Dietz for lamps I just bought on eBay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    guthriesmith, loudbang and waxhead like this.
  3. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

IMO, have that core fixed if you can. Mine leaked and I went to buy a new one but decided to have the original one recored. That was prolly 2k miles ago. Nice looking truck. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Twinkeel and loudbang like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sweet truck .:)

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Great score. Around my area a big window short box is really rare. Mine was already molested and buckets of bondo loaded into the box sides before I got ahold of it. Nothing like a clean slate

6. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

We had to recore the one in my friend's Uni also. It puked almost as soon as we got it running again... they don't like sitting. The recore has been fine now for 5 years of summertime cruising and a bit of heater weather.

7. Twinkeel

Twinkeel

That’s good to hear! I’ll look into getting it rebuilt. What should I expect to pay for that? 200-300ish?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I had a friends and family discount I’m sure since I had done a lot of work with my radiator shop so mine was $75 I think so I’m sure that’s lower than you will get. I did remember ordering in a new aftermarket one (for my ‘64 GTO) and laughed when I pulled it out of the box. It was maybe 30-40% the size and obviously not built like the oem one. I sent it back and waited for mine to get recored. Lol. Good luck with yours. Good time to clean and paint the heater box and do any maintenance. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I don't know exactly what he paid, but his complain-o-meter really started to peg at $100, so I assume it was somewhere under that, as he only winged a little.:D

loudbang likes this.
  10. Only if you're paying them to pull, and re-install after the repair. Bench repair of the core, shouldn't take more than an hour.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Twinkeel

Twinkeel

Hey gang, I have a question that I’m sure tons of folks here can answer. What is the best method of getting off crusty old weather stripping left overs? I’m pulling off the stripping around the door skins. And it came off alright, but there’s like this gooey tar in some places and a bit of foam left over from pulling it off. Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

How clean and perfect does it need to be before replacing? This is my first time doing weather stripping and I’m a bit lost.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_2835.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  12. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Heat gun to heat it up, then it should come off by wiping with old rags and then some Goo Gone for what is left.

13. Lacquer thinner will cut it off clean after the heat gun and getting as much as you can off. It will need to be clean to adhere the new weatherstrip, really clean.

14. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

3M trim adhesive remover

15. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

your clothes pin on the fuel line is to prevent vapor lock. I had a flathead 40 that would vapor lock bad. once I put a few clothes pins on the line it wouldn't vapor lock anymore

Twinkeel likes this.
  16. Great truck. I really like the Uni's. Wish mine was that clean.

loudbang and Twinkeel like this.
  17. Yes, this stuff works great. I actually salvaged some really well preserved unobtanium weather stripping from a car in a wrecking yard with it.

loudbang, Twinkeel and warhorseracing like this.
  18. finn

finn

The heat transfer coefficient (k) of wood is between .12 and .15, about the same as asbestos.

Wood clothespins aren’t going to transfer a measurable amount of heat from a steel has line filled with hot fuel.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Callmaker

Callmaker

"Wood clothespins aren’t going to transfer a measurable amount of heat from a steel has line filled with hot fuel."

Guess that is kinda like the guys who tie knots in the coil wire....Old wives tails...

loudbang likes this.
  20. Okay... First off, that's one bitchin' Uni. Congrats!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Secondly, add my name to the "3M trim adhesive remover really works" roster. ;)

Thirdly... all of this talk of clothespins...

Wood has a .12 and .15 heat transfer coefficient?!? Really? Interesting.

Okay, jack... wanna impress me? What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? :D:D:D

Just kidding around. :p Nice truck!!!

21. Twinkeel

Twinkeel

Great recommendations, gang. I’m gonna try the 3M since I don’t own a proper heat gun, and i guess I’ll just have to buy one if I need more fire power — pun definitely intended

Thanks again!!!

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  22. Callmaker

Callmaker

ZZ Top Chop and loudbang like this.
  23. hath

hath