Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Burnishing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jun 23, 2020.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Last night an ad popped up for free stuff, cleaning out an estate a couple miles away. So I drug my bad back over there and came home with a bead blaster and this 'burnisher' (the orange thing), as the son of the deceased called it. It looked to me like I could pop some parts into it, along with the media, and fire it up.

Anyone played with one of these?

0623200808_Burst01.jpg

Nostrebor, wraymen and scotty t like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

also known as a tumbler?

blowby, rockable and Sporty45 like this.
  3. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a vibrating tumbler. Depending on the medium you put in it you can polish a number of things. Corn cob or walnut media is used on brass. Lots of info out there.

blowby likes this.
  4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I would think there should be a lid for it somewhere too.

blowby likes this.

5. Definitely will need a cover. Eastwood sells the medium last I knew. Hope you did not lift those 5 gal buckets of blasting medium with that back of yours:rolleyes::rolleyes:

blowby, lothiandon1940 and scotty t like this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to use those in one of the shops I worked in. Use to load it up with small steel or aluminum parts and ceramic media and let it run. Deburred and polished stuff up nicely.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    blowby and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Media can come in many different forms.
    There are ceramic stones, Needles, Ball bearings.
    There is also Vibratory liquid cleaners you can run with the media.

They deburr parts or bring parts back to looking new as they burnish the material -
    steel, stainless , brass , copper you name it.

Looks like just the right size for a work shop.

A client of mine a long time ago was Clevite Bearing and they had dozens of huge 15 foot in diameter Tub Deburring Tumblers that ran thousands and thousnads of parts per day.

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Didn't see a cover, going back today to get a sewing machine, hope it's there. He loaded my truck, I just have to figure out how to unload it before I return...open tailgate hole shot..

There is media in those buckets, and more still there. I did see a box of steel BBs.

9. That one doesn't look very big, so it would be great for smaller, cast parts, to polish before chroming. Or to just give aluminum a great finish.

10. You can clean up old nuts and bolts in them. We had one we used at the shop I worked at.

blowby likes this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

A lot of small castings/parts are tumbled to remove sharp edges, pretty common in manufacturing, the buckets you show were vibrating with a media and the parts would come out and line up like little soldiers to move onto next step in assembly. I always enjoyed getting tours in shops especially with automated manufacturing saw, many trick items that I wondered who and how long did it take to trial and error that to make it happen, all this before computer aided design, the Tool & Die Maker ( my trade )with train driver's ideas made all this stuff, so different from today's world.

blowby likes this.
  12. cleaned about 500,000 45 cal. rounds over the years using one of those. worked great.

13. Looks like a combination cake mixer - bunt cake pan. If it runs on 220v, then it bakes as well.

loudbang and blowby like this.
  14. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, that was all free? Nice find! :cool:

loudbang, Nostrebor and blowby like this.
  15. GTS225

GTS225

Hmmmm. If he was using the vibrating tumbler as a "burnisher", might he have been using the blast cabinet as a shot blaster, using the steel BB's as media? You might want to take a good look at the blasting gun.

Roger

16. earlymopar

earlymopar

"Tumblers" are on a horizontal axis. This looks more like a standard vibratory bowl as car nut has stated.

- EM

17. Nice score, that’ll be nice in the new shop. I like your sticker on the back window!

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use mine for small carb parts and the like. I bought real fine sand from a pet store used for reptile enclosures

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Went back last night, got more abrasives, and a 100lb. box of steel balls. Maybe some is for the blaster The son said his dad was into rocks and jewelry. Doesn't look like he got far with it. Didn't find a lid, may have to sacrifice the top to my Webber. :)

Looking forward to testing it out, stay tuned..

20200624_064225.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  20. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Great score!

loudbang likes this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had a bit of time to play with this today. Dumped the grey abrasive and an old Amal leaker in there, check it out. Funny how it swallows it up. Coming out clean so far.. more to follow.
    Before
    20200627_091206.jpg

rusty valley and loudbang like this.
  22. 1320 Fan

1320 Fan

Great score on the vib bowl. There may be a drain on the bowl, and you can screen the drain with some stainless of some sort and run a small liquid pump with flow regulator with water and a soap or antirust to help clean and polish. Some parts do better dry than wet and there are many different forms and sizes of media. Works best with constant clean solution drained to waste. You can cover bowl to reduce noise or keep dust/dirt out if you like. Popular with rock hounds (lapidary), and shell reloaders. Your nuts, bolts, fastners and small tools will take on a new life. Might want to add an programable timer to power line.

loudbang likes this.
  23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks, 1320, good info. Yes there is a drain hole, haven't checked it out yet. And I have at least two other abrasives, the white ones I think said plastic, they don't feel like plastic. Maybe they are for plastic? Also some finer stuff, including glass beads and that big 20 gallon barrel above, but I think they are for the blast cabinet. And a 100 pound box of steel balls that I keep having to move.

I'll be playing with it more soon. It's actually pretty quiet and doesn't seem to need a top while it's going. Nice to finally have something working for me while I work, and likely getting more done. :)

IMG_20200628_073317.jpg

Nostrebor likes this.