Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical electric fans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Jun 22, 2020.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i know there not traditional but my motor sits to high to use the stock fan. my problem is a piece of the fan is broke off and wanted to know if anybody knows what they are made of? it's the outer ring between the blades. would it take epoxy glue or what?

2. theboss20

theboss20

Once a blade breaks you can’t fix it successfully...there is a lot more flex to the blade then most people realize and what you don’t want is having it come off again and injure somebody or damage the radiator or hood...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Don't bother trying to fix it. Not worth the effort.
    Replace it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Flathead Dave, quit being cheap and replace it with a better quality one. Even though you could probably glue it back together you may throw it out of balance and then the real problems begin.

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As has been said you can’t fix it properly. Throw it away and replace it with a good quality electric fan. You don’t need overheating problems.

6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Kinda glad no pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

Lets expand what the others are saying on repairing your electric fan...
    If its just the body of the fan that broke because it wasn't mounted square and flat, then you can repair that with a plastic adhesive and reinforce it with a piece of plastic glued to the outside of the repair (like you would "Fish Plate" a frame when you "z" it).

However, if part of the blades broke off, you wont have success repairing the blades because of how much they flex when the blades spin up to speed. Also, consider why it broke. Was it material fatigue due to the plastic blade flexing and returning back to normal after years of use? If that's the case, the rest of the blade will also be fatigued and they will possibly eventually let go also. If it was because something got into the blades while they were spinning, well you still should not attempt to repair them because the repair will likely fail because of how much they flex. If you can find a replacement fan blade that is the same size and style (pusher vs puller) as yours, then you can change that out. But the possible damage you risk to the radiator isn't worth trying to repair a plastic fan blade.

8. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

it's not the blade it's the outside ring.i don't see how the outside ring gets much abuse to worry about it coming off. i don't know how it got broke. just one i had laying around. i made a shroud for it to bolt into. it seems to run alright with no real wobble. i will just run it like it is until i can get another one, which i will probably get one before i ever get the car running. again, thanks for the replies