Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drill for brake line clamps prior to powder coat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bantam, Jun 23, 2020.

1. bantam

bantam

Hi guys

My chassis is almost ready for powder coat. Have brake and fuel lines run but only drilled for self tappers and clamped in a few spots. Just enough to hold the lines for engine break in and tune, and to hold brake lines in intended spots to make sure fitment is good.

Question: should I drill for ALL of the clamps prior to powder coating or is it no problem to drill for the remainder once back from powder coat? Won’t allow rust to form underneath if I drill later?

First time getting a chassis powder coated and want to do it once and do it right.

If I am nitpicking and it’s no big deal please share your experience so I can go and obsess on the next topic:)

Thanks in advance.

Bantam

Just Gary likes this.
  2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I do everything before powder coat and then all you have to do is chase all the threads afterwards

3. Drill first and then have it coated. Any threaded holes just chase the threads and you good.

4. I agree with the two replies above.

But on mine I wanted to change the hood hold down clamp after the powercoated frame was long finished. Used center punch, drilled holes, tapped holes, used never seize on fasteners, done. Looks like it was always there.

Phil

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I drill and tap the holes 10/32, install 1" long, hex head screws with 3/4" sticking out. That way threads stay clean, and the powder coat, gets full coverage. I do the same with paint.

chop job, 41rodderz and lippy like this.
  6. When I first started powdercoating, I put silicone plugs in all the holes. I quit doing that as it leaves a ridge around the holes. Now I just coat then chase the threads, gives a much better job. The only things I plug now are bearing/shaft bores or something I don't have a tap for.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, that.

8. bantam

bantam

Thanks for sharing your collective experience. Will drill in advance. Good advice. Much appreciated.

9. This is exactly what I was going to say ^^^
    I have seen powder coat chip when being drilled. Its funny stuff if you want to remove it gawd help ya and if you don't the same. ;)