Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do with your car today? * NEW*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by j hansen, May 3, 2020.

1. squirrel

squirrel

More progress on the T. Engine back in, body back on frame. Should get some parts in the mail tomorrow, so I can get the suspension back together, gas tank back in, etc.

progress09.jpg

2. Well, not actually today, but yesterday, Father's Day weekend. I just wanted to get out and cruise so I gassed up my 32 coupe and just drove around for a while. It was hot outside but with all the windows down and a good cruise speed, it was pleasant. This town is not a "car people" town. I only got one thumbs up, no one else much noticed a bright red 32 Ford coupe tooling around. Mostly young boys playing in their yards noticed and checked it out. I hope their interest was piqued so that they desire to have one someday.

3. j hansen

j hansen

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I cleaned it up again......

chryslerfan55, el Roach, X38 and 6 others like this.
  5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Picked up parts from the local parts place. Removed some parts. Started planning how to modify and un-modify the parts I have to fit the new parts so it’ll all go back together. I’d like to have brakes again by this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pprather likes this.
  6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Got the speedometer calibration dialed in for Joe on his 1953 Chrysler Windsor before he took off for Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020. https://rockymountainraceweek.com/
    He is running an Off topic late model Supercharged Hemi motor mated to a 727 transmission.
    Arellanes 53 .jpg

7. j hansen

j hansen

Thanks!

8. High test 63

High test 63

IMG_20200623_081120.jpg changed a flat on my AA that i got on the wat to work. Luckily i had just pulled of I-80 and into the driveway...

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's actually some friends of mine, local So Cal guys. The lead guitar player is a long time friend and a mentor of mine.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. That dog has a look that says, I can’t remember if I bit you 5 times or 6. Why don’t you come over here and make yourself a nice easy target, go ahead, make my day.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since I only got my '39 Chev coupe on the road a couple weeks ago, my daily work is tying up details. Today I installed a pair of '53 Chevy armrests, after painting the bases and recovering the pads. That was next to the last thing needed to finish the interior. Still have to recover the sun visors, and then the interior is complete.

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  12. Had to modify the rear lowering blocks for the 56 wagon. DSCF5218.JPG DSCF5217.JPG DSCF5216.JPG

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Looked through the trunk on my newly purchased Mercury to see what parts and brackets are missing,it looks like only the crank pulley,dipstick and tube and most of the bolts for the front of the engine. I should have the bolts in stock but would be easier to get off the engine that will donate the pulley at the junkyard.

bobss396 likes this.
  14. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Measuring and trial fitting things. I think I have a plan for how it all goes together. Need to run to the hardware store for some fender washers, and OReillys for a gasket. Then some cutting and grinding, and reassembly can get underway.

Cut off the extension somebody welded on:

[​IMG]

And ground off the remains:

[​IMG]

Belt grinder works really well for this. Glad I finally got one.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  15. The Ford was running crappy so I checked the wires this morning before it got too hot and changed the plugs. They were all wet with gas, too much driving around town and not enough highway. I have some smaller primary jets and the gaskets, that is up next. But difficult to work during the peak heat hours, today is a bit overcast.

EDIT: Good news, the car is back in form, running well. Went out for a quick spin and after dark when it cooled off. It hit 95 by me in the afternoon.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and 210superair like this.
  16. olds vroom

olds vroom

IMG_1680.JPG Today I worked on my father-in-law’s 64 Malibu ss . It broke a rocker stud in the 283 . Of coarse the worst possible one , the exhaust valve on the number 7 cylinder right next to the brake booster .

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Putting the hemi together to go into the 32.

20200624_163716.jpg
    20200517_161419.jpg

Tim, chryslerfan55, catdad49 and 18 others like this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Stopped to see my cousin, he has a 39 Ford coupe that he told me he has decided to sell. Pretty nice car, stock flathead with dual exhaust, nice interior done a few years ago. He drove it a lot until his health problems grounded him. It is more money than I would want to put in it but it is a very decent car, I am going to get some pictures and list it on here if he doesn't sell it before that.

Lil32 likes this.
  19. Finished shortening the drive shaft for the 56 wagon, got it within .005" run out, good enough. installed it and started on wheels and front suspension rebuild.
    DSCF5219.JPG DSCF5221.JPG DSCF5223.JPG

20. 34Larry

34Larry

Finished up on my brakes. Bled and working like new. (One new caliper piston, and caliper, new seals, new pistons cleaned and cleaned up the caliper bore on the one that was good, new bearings and races and packed hubs, and new fluid, new lines from the frame to the calipers are much better than what I put on years back and longer also. I gained almost an inch in pedal.
    Also put the finishing touches on the plug wires. Then...……………. worked on the dist. hold down.
    This proved to be just a little frustrating in that it is close to impossible to get to, let alone seeing the bolt that holds it down because of the MSD dist. and rear carb being so close together. This hold down piece is from Hot Heads, a nice machined piece, and it must be from 7075 aluminum, or it is heat treated. I'm in the process of modifying it so that I can install it with out the dist. in by machining a portion away in a radius centered on the bolt so it possible to loosely bolt it in then install the dist. and pivot it on the bolt over the dist. and tighten it down after finding the best vacuum stetting. The machining will still will leave 3/4's of the recess for the dist. to nest in and it will be a damned site easer to work with.
    The friend who wired the car originally wants to wire in the new MSD Dist. so a call to him is in the cards soon as I get the hold down to work.
    No hot rod work the rest of the week though, fences need power washing, painting and some gate work. Week end comes some showers and I think I'll get back at it then.
    So @ 81 and 3 months I'm thankful that I'm still get'en-er-done.
    I'm not as good as I once was,.....but I'm as good once, as I ever was.:D

21. topher5150

topher5150

The guy at the welding supply store advised me to secure my tank. IMG_20200626_093358735.jpeg

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Started building a vintage single axle trailer from 2-7/8” well drilling pipe with wwII aircraft landing mat for the deck and a vintage dropped trailer axle with six lug hubs and old Chevy rims. I know no one will believe it until there’s pictures.

catdad49, Blues4U and i.rant like this.
  23. 59elcaminodave

59elcaminodave
    from Md.-De.

been rebuilding my latest project for a year and a half.
    made wheel & tire change today (before & after)
    new wheels are black cherry
    IMG_4296.JPG IMG_4620.JPG

24. patrick20

patrick20

Today, I installed the restored original starter on my 63 Impala, and continued to see if I could get it running after sitting for 30 years. Thank you guys for watching! Please remember to hit the subscribe button on YouTube. I really appreciate everyone's support, and kind words!

chryslerfan55 and 61Cruiser like this.
  25. WTF really

WTF really

Of course wouldn't have it any other way lol

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. More progress on demo'n the 32 BB frame...had to get the uncle's big wrenches out....think he helped on a few bolts. Some were really easy. Getting the axle off then cutting the frame back behind the trans mount bout all I need. Funny shim on the steering shaft and that washer was up on the axle. 20200628_191935.jpg 20200628_173945.jpg 20200628_175027.jpg 20200628_174953.jpg

27. Figured it was time to tackle the roof on the 39 Chevy. Apparently it's been on its top somewhere down the line. Bodywork is almost done on this beast, getting close to paint ;) 20200628_132545.jpg 20200628_153320.jpg 20200628_153329.jpg 20200628_182407.jpg

28. Disassembled the front suspension, getting ready for new bushings and installing the lowering spacers on the lower control arms.
    DSCF5229.JPG DSCF5231.JPG DSCF5233.JPG

29. X-cpe

X-cpe

Made a bolt shortening jig. Drilled a hole the diameter of the bolt + 1/64 in a scrap of 2x.. Counter bored the back side for the Tee Nut. (Make sure you seat the Tee Nut all the way because snugging the bolt will draw it in.) Washers and lock washer for spacers. Used a socket on my cordless drill, set on low. 16 of them. 5/16-18 x 1 3/4". No time at all with a saws-all. Good square cut. Belt sander to chamfer them.
    DSC00231.JPG
    DSC00232.JPG
    DSC00233.JPG