Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Trying to find these mirrors, any ideas? **FOUND**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Jun 23, 2020.

1. So, I'm wanting the change out the dumb little, round, clamp on mirrors that are currently on my '60 F-100. You can't fully see the passenger mirror from inside the truck and what you can see can't adjust in far enough to be usefull.

My current little round mirrors would be good on a coupe or something, but they just look... I dunno... not so truck-like and kinda small on the old Crushinator.

I want to try and find mirrors like the ones on one of my favorite Fridge Effies. I love this truck. I have a few pics of it in various incarnations. All I know about it is that the owner was from British Columbia
    (although, in the color picture from '66, the truck looks almost like it has California plates.) and it was in some shows in the early 60's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any idea where I can source THESE mirrors or something very similar? They put me in mind of those old universal, telescoping mirrors, but from the picture quality, I can't be certain.

[​IMG]

Here's why I think they're telescoping. That nut just below where the mirror attaches to the arm.

[​IMG]

And also, as you can see, they have an adjustable base.

I've found similar mirrors on that dumbass auction site, and elsewhere, but the bases don't swivel.

[​IMG]

This next pic looks more along the mines of what I want, but so far I can only find one.

[​IMG]

So. Anybody have any ideas? I'm also looking for poultry molars, and snake hair, so... :p

Thanks!

Thor1, mgtstumpy and 41rodderz like this.
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look closely at your new mirrors, the base might be clockable. I have a set of swan necks with a similar base and it is splined into the stalk so you can clock them any way you want. Yours might too. Or, they might not.

Good luck, -Abone.

Thor1 and ccain like this.
  3. osut362

osut362
    from East Texas
    1. Upholstery

The military parts places sell a mirror that functions like what you want. They are not chrome however.
    Google an M715 (I have one) images. Swivel base, telescoping arm, swivel mirror. The mirror head can be
    changed if you want smaller. The G.I. mirror is about 5 x 7 in size......Al

Thor1 likes this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So buy the one like the style you want. Then you will only need to find one more. I have one just like it but it has a round mirror on it.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I swear I've seen the ones like the single one you found, and it was part of a larger clamp-on front fender towing mirror set for pulling campers. It had the telescoping arm and the small-ish rectangle mirrors, but where yours has a clamp for the door, these had 3 posts coming out, two that hook into the hood gap and one under the front fender. You might search around for some vintage clamp-on camper/towing mirrors, you wouldn't be using the whole assembly, just the head and telescoping arm.

6. The ones from the dumbass auction site have a screw up the inside, which will let you turn the base. They use the same base on many cheap mirrors.

7. If I said I had one.....finding it would be the score - BUT - if I remember the mirror part was missing......

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The 1953-‘66 stock mirrors are hard to beat, as far as looks.
    For real vision,
    West Coast Jrs.
    The WCJs were a factory/dealer option,

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

10. GUYS!!! I think I found them... well I bought 'em, so either way. :D

Two separate auctions, bought them both. One is NOS while the other one needs a little love, but not too bad.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mirror shape looks a little more rounded maybe, but if you look close in the color pic, you can see traces of what look like the horizontal lines moulded into the housing. (Same pic as before, ignore the arrow)

[​IMG]

But anyway, we'll see when they get here.

One more note, and not related to the topic, Looking at that first pic again, d'you guys reckon that the "bed rails" on this truck could possibly be repurposed lake pipes or even custom exhaust that came up through the forward stake holes?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Elcohaulic and Max Gearhead like this.
  11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great. Nice when it all comes to you.

12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Glad you found it..

For mirrors or lights I always look under Yankee on e-Bay...

ccain likes this.
  13. One of the mirrors came today. Looks like I found the right ones. Or, at least they're REAL close. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

The bed rail exhaust aka belly burners was real exhaust and functional. That was a hemi powered truck in the black and white pics you’ve posted. From what I know anyways :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ccain likes this.