Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Key fob programming for poppers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 210superair, Jun 23, 2020.

1. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I'm a newb guys, so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong spot or something like that. I searched a lot on here and couldn't find an answer, so:

I have a 51 shoebox that's shaved, popper on the driver's door. I have two key fobs, on one the popper works fine. The other died and I replaced the battery, but now it doesn't pop the door.

Can anyone help me out with how to program it? I looked around the web and can't seem to find an answer.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I'd venture to more the popper fob is bad than a reprogram.
    To reprogram youll have to know brand and such

210superair likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: No regular door handles? :rolleyes:

No problem :D
    The emergency guys will just take the roof off when they can’t open the doors.

4. I think it's traditional to use an axe. ;)

ottoman and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Probably so but in these days I have seen them remove a roof in seconds with the hydraulic jaws they carry.

Even if the accident is really minor, if they find people in the vehicle and they can’t get the doors open, no hesitation off comes the roof.

It’s happened plenty of times.

6. I don’t know much about the remotes or how to re-program...but since you are a newbie, wanted to tell you to not let the negative comments get to you. :D Your question had nothing to do with adding door handles back. ;)

And, if a wreck is bad enough that you can’t get yourself out of the car, worrying about how much damage someone does to the car to get you out is likely of very little concern...at least that is my thinking.

LOST ANGEL, 210superair and blowby like this.
  7. Stooge

Stooge

Do you know where the stuff for the door poppers came from? i have this style of remote for the door poppers on my truck, the kit came from AVS, but i would imagine most set ups are relatively similar. I had to replace one of the remotes, and it was just holding down a button on the receiver with the power on and will flash to signify it found the signal for the new remote. i found the instructions on their site, but may not be of use if its a different style.

Attached Files:

LOST ANGEL and 210superair like this.
  8. For starters you need to locate the receiver and show a photo of it. Stogy showed us his receiver and programming instructions, which are typical for these products.

Then it is a process to see if we can get the remote reprogrammed to talk to the receiver.

Phil

210superair likes this.
  9. X-cpe

X-cpe

On my wife's OT, the fob battery went bad. I replaced it twice with known good batteries. No result, so I traded fobs with her. A week later I tried it again and it started working and has been working for the last couple of years.

210superair likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stooge nailed it, find the brand of the unit/receiver and hunt down the instructions .That may mean an email or phone call if they don't have a link posted on line.

A shoe box with vent wings is about the easiest ride to get into that there is anyhow. You can pop the wing and reach the inside door handle before the guy going after the Jaws even gets to the rescue truck. Only bullshit throw out the nonsense about no door handles. I've had mouthbreathers at shows try to tell me how unsafe my shaved handles are since 1980 when I first did them.
    If you are trapped in side and can't get out on your own you probably aren't too worried about how they open the car anyhow.

11. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If the first thing that came to someones mind is what happens in an emergency they're probably on the wrong forum. Perhaps camryforums.com would feel more at home?

210superair and Ned Ludd like this.
  12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all due respect, "stud", that's about the most juvenile comment I think I've ever read in this forum. Perhaps you're suicidal ? I love cars in general sand hot rods in particular, but I'd rather not die in one.

13. Please stay on topic. The guy needs help with his door popper. All other comments should be posted elsewhere.

Phil

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Thanks for the helpful comments fellas. Here's a Pic of the fob. I have two and the other fob works fine. This one lights red when I press the button, it just doesn't hit the solenoid, so I'm thinking the fob is OK and just needs freshened up. Hopefully.

I'm watching my kid but asap I'll go locate the receiver and see what's up.

And just for those with safety concerns, it's a 51 box with no seat belts, power steering, etc. I didn't really pick it out for the safety aspect. But you're concern for my safety is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help! And the warm welcome for a newb....

Attached Files:

Stooge likes this.
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I very much appreciate that, but it's not much different in my upright bassist forum either. Wood boat forum as well. Lol. Standard forum, brings all kinds. That can be what makes them interesting, eh?!?!?

I found the receiver 'well installed' under the dash. It'll take some doing to get at it enough to see if there's any id on it, but there's nothing discernable showing as it sits. I'll dig into it when I have more time I guess...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Seen a few,that don't work after replacing bat. as they think thats what was wrong
    . What did find,is that a bat contact strip had broke,so new bat didn't help. Had to fix contact,very tiny solder job.

guthriesmith and 210superair like this.
  17. On your key fob, is the lock button for driver door and unlock button for passenger door?

Phil

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

No. The only button that does anything is the red button, and it pops drivers door only.

I'm thinking this fall I'll dig out the receiver and Id it, hit Google for some instructions, and I'd imagine I can program them after that. I do have one working fob for now, and there's a button in the gas door too.