Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***June 2020 Banger Meet Thread - So Four So Good***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jun 1, 2020.

1. railcarmover

railcarmover

Yes,it came to me balanced with an A pressure plate found a true late 31 flywheel housing,works fine

Dustyp489 likes this.
  2. Which Ranger diaphragm clutch is that? Just wondered if I can get it in the UK.

3. I need to look it up, 3.6? ltr V6? something like that. This is a different bolt pattern than the 9in.
    Also, will probably have to change out the throwout bearing as diaphragm requires a rounded face bearing.

John

hotrodfil likes this.
  4. 97

if not available in UK order from rockauto.com , they deliver worldwide , great prices, accept cards, excellent service. choose the cheaper freight option, takes the same time as the expensive ones which are supposed to be faster.

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Went with crimped connections in areas not exposed,crimp and shrink tube 'outside' will fab up a cover. Halogen reflectors in 30/31 buckets with modern focused LED's..the bulbs are a trip,they have little fans on them..

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    Old Dawg and barrnone50 like this.
  6. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Good to see your electrical panel. I was wondering about your progress on that.
    Hope your LEDs work better than the ones I put in my Stepvan motorhome that look the about the same. Lots of nice white light, but very little difference between high and low as far as aim.

7. railcarmover

railcarmover

I figured Id give them a try,30 bucks or so from amazon,there is enough ampacity in the circuit to go halogen If I don't like them.I was impressed by 6000 lumens,kind of like a hand grenade,just gotta get it close don't have to aim. Progress is constant,whats in question is how much..

Old Dawg likes this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i want to thank all , railcarmover for the help

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    waxhead likes this.
  9. railcarmover

railcarmover

Hard to tell whats been done to the lower end without tearing it apart.One thing to keep in mind is workmanship is a constant,if its cheap and hack in one way it usually cheap and hacked in all ways.

Caveat Emptor..'let the buyer beware' in latin..even in roman times people were swindling each other

Old Dawg likes this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

LOL only thing home made is interior .......... pro cost to much .

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  11. So are you selling or looking for insurance value?

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

defiantly not looking for ins. it is insured .
    trying to figure value to sell / trade . thanks ... steve

13. railcarmover

railcarmover

Hell,I didnt know you were selling :)...14 low 18 high the engine and the trans/ QC is your money shot..money is funny right now,if you can hold till next year do it

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i agree . i have no problem holding . trade would be better as it is my daily transportation .
    thank you .................... steve

15. Steve,

Lamborghini and Ferrari require too much maintenance.
    Stay with the coupe.

J

Old Dawg and Jet96 like this.
  16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i know your right john ................

17. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Took the stinger out for a joy ride today after work.got up to 58 not really trying,was cruzing about 50 most of the time.it got the nickname stinger because of the bee keychain that came with the old keys when I got it 20200618_173605.jpg 20200618_173636.jpg

Old Dawg, Dannerr, burl and 7 others like this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nice roadster & Key chain .............. good 4 u

19. railcarmover

railcarmover

Roadster? nah its a cut down Sport Coupe

"that aint no prom date son,that's a cocktail waitress in a Dolly Parton wig"

If she is a '31 thats a low production car too,19k sport coupes in '31..hottest car on the market 1928,134k made in '29,6k in '32,done..a flash in the pan,people didnt want a soft top that doesn't go down..

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Old Dawg likes this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

bummer , one less ........ steve

21. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

It's a cabriolet.missing the top when I got it.the roadster is in the background

Jet96 likes this.
  22. railcarmover

railcarmover

Love cabriolet hotrods,drives the purists nuts

Old Dawg and Shutter Speed like this.
  23. BeaverMatt

BeaverMatt

Model B folks that run the original fuel pump - I have a question. Some background - I'm running the stock pump that I put a rebuild kit in. My engine is a little warmed up with has a Lions head, Winfield cam, and a dual carb Thomas intake running a pair of 81's. It's running very rich. I've checked the float settings on the carbs several times. Using both the wet and dry method. I've tried the recommend setting of 15/32" for fuel level as well as dropping a little. Ignition appears to be performing fine. I've tried advancing and retarding the timing. Continues to be very rich. Can the B pump be pushing fuel past the needle/seat and cause my rich condition? My understanding is that these pumps should be making 1 1/2 - 3 lbs of pressure, which a Stromberg needle and seat should be able to handle. Do these pumps really make more pressure?

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not familiar with "B" pump , but i would test fuel pressure with a Good gauge .............

Old Dawg and BeaverMatt like this.
  25. railcarmover

railcarmover

Believe the 81 flows at about 130CFM,two would make 260 CFM flow rate.Model A engine flows at 160 CFM.Fuel pressure most likely not the issue,float level could be.setting up a progressive linkage can stage the roll on of the second carb,negating the effect of both accel pumps dumping fuel at the same rate

Old Dawg likes this.
  26. Well - I've checked the clutch cover on the 12 valve 2.5 diesel Ranger PU that my neighbour has and that's nowhere near the height of a three finger 9" clutch. Guess I'll keep looking.

27. Thanks for posting, you are right, a diaphram will typically not be as tall as a coil spring PP.
    I'll keep asking around, I have seen a few in the past.

J

28. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Why 9" clutch, is there not room for a 10"? Should be a much more common size.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  29. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im running 9 " & have for like 10 yrs ............ no trouble