Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1939 Mercury Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by swissmike, Jun 28, 2015.

1. swissmike

swissmike

Chassis assembly. Starting with the front end. Posies reversed eye spring and dropped axle and spindles from Kohler Kustom, and P&J shock mount kit.

Spindles needed the upper edge ground off the clear the Lincoln style repro backing plates.

IMG_1246.JPG

P&J bolt on shocks for 40 Ford. Had to switch track bar and shock mount position in order not to interfere.
    IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. swissmike

swissmike

Found a pair of 46-48 rear shock mounts but without spacers a and the special bolts. Had to figure out and machine the missing parts:

Adjustments.JPG

Also fabricated an adapter for a GM master cylinder. Frame is upside down

IMG_0993.JPG

Stainless actuator rod extension and insert for the rubber dust cap
    IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

The GM m/c will require another access panel in the floor pan with a domed cover to clear the m/c cover.
    IMG_1402.JPG

Could have saved me some work if I had known this before I made the floor pan and hole for stock m/c.
    IMG_1404.JPG

3. swissmike

swissmike

Rear suspension with stock height Posies replacement spring, 5” raised crossmember and 1” spring spacer (instead of 2” stock spacer) for a 6” drop. I will probably exchange the 1” spacer for the stock unit.

IMG_1377.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Tires are rollers only. Fronts are 7.60-15 and rears are 7.10-15 which are 3/8” bigger in diameter. Have new 6.70 for front and back.

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Axle to bumper clearance is 3” currently.

Rear shocks are on order. Still need a bunch of small parts for the brakes. A flywheel for the 331 Cad is also on order. So much for today!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  4. Thanks for the update, one of my favorite builds.

kidcampbell71 and swissmike like this.
  5. Go Man Go!
    C u soon

swissmike likes this.
  6. swissmike

swissmike

Rear shock mounts fabricated out of thick wall DOM tubing. Grade 8 bolts go all the way through crossmember.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plumbed the brakes using Cunifer (copper nickel iron) tubing. First time working with the stuff and got some fake mystery metal tubing from Amazon. It was copper coated on the outside but silvery on inside. It was softer than steel and turned out real nice, but started to flash rust immediately just from touching. Ripped the whole deal out again and redid everything with the real stuff. Very nice to work with,but didn’t work with the Eastwood flaring tool which I love for steel tubing. “Traditional” Hand flaring tool gave nice results.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am using residual pressure valves for drums, they proved necessary with the same brake setup in my roadster.

7. swissmike

swissmike

Received the flywheel for the 331 from Wilcap. They didn’t drill the hole for the dowel but was able to drill it in my shop at work. Made some dowels for two of the existing holes to help align the flywheel, then indicate from one of the neighboring holes. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Modified the engine stand to be able to remove the lower bell housing and mount the flywheel.

The motor was rebuilt when I got it 10 plus years ago, but I wanted to check by removing the valve covers. I found one of the pushrods was broken and when I pulled the pushrod it pulled the lifter out of its bore. Time to dig a little deeper...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Overall super clean
    [​IMG]

I couldn’t determine a reason for the pushrod failure. The valve is free and the lifter was pristine. The break was at the boundary between the shaft and the separate tapered tip. Maybe a bad joint.
    NAPA still carries pushrods, lifters and gaskets. I will clean and paint the motor and exhaust manifolds. Not sure about the carb. Probably needs rebuild or a replacement. Anybody know any options? Want to keep the stock intake for now.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Kage, OzMerc39, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  8. swissmike

swissmike

Inspected all lifters and found 2 cam lobes are toast and so are the lifters. Pushrods were installed upside down ( tapered end goes in lifter). Pushrod lengths were all over the place and varied by .020”.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cam is early, one year only with spring loaded button in snout. Pushrod length is different from later models.
    [​IMG]
    Timing chain has 1/8” deflection from taut. Probably ok but will have to research.

Engine was rebuilt but crank has wear and needs regroups by another .010”. Bores and pistons are .030” and look good with the hone pattern still showing. No ridge at top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. swissmike

swissmike

There it is...

[​IMG]

I’m glad this can be done for $0!
    [​IMG]

10. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job!

swissmike likes this.
  11. swissmike

swissmike

Machine shop should be done next week. Spent the weekend cleaning up some parts for the motor assembly. Still have to order the parts from Terrill Machine in TX. The guy knows his stuff and has most parts in stock for early Old and Cad. Very knowledgeable.

IMG_1242.JPG

Exhaust and intake manifold, pulleys and such will get sand blasted before refinishing.

I also stripped the running boards using a butane torch from the underside and scraping 10” sections at a time with the air scraper. Still trying to clean some more of the residue before giving it to the sandblaster.
    I can have them powder coated at the same time. Anybody know if contact cement will stick to powder coating?

IMG_1241.JPG

Kage, OzMerc39, Peanut 1959 and 6 others like this.
  12. belair

belair

Very nice.

13. kidcampbell71 and swissmike like this.
  14. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

Mercury with a Caddy . What away to go.

15. CadMad

CadMad

This is such an inspiring build. Is it a 49 331? Contact will stick to powder coating but I would scuff it up with 120 grit to give it some bite.

16. Just checking in on the progress. Well done.

swissmike likes this.
  17. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Awesome job you are doing.

18. swissmike

swissmike

Thanks for confirming!
    Yes it is a 49 with spring loaded cam.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

well done, good craftmanship. i will follow

swissmike likes this.
  20. swissmike

swissmike

Used a soy based paint stripper to remove the rubber residue which worked fairly well.

One of the boards needed quite a bit of straightening as the edge was pushed in. There were also a couple of corners which needed cracks welded up. Next stop sandblaster and powder coating.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kage, Okie Pete, Peanut 1959 and 5 others like this.
  21. swissmike

swissmike

Caddy heads, block and crank came back from machine shop. Time to get the spray gun out.

IMG_1356.JPG

I used OMNi epoxy primer and single stage urethane. IMG_1357.JPG

The small HF detail fun works great for small stuff with nooks and crannies IMG_1359.JPG

Should have the new cam, lifters and pushrods by next weekend. Maybe time to start assembly?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Okie Pete, Grandadeo, brEad and 7 others like this.
  22. swissmike

swissmike

I didn’t like the Wilcap pilot bearing adapter with only 3/8” press fit engagement in the crank hole and more then 1” unsupported length. I machined a new adapter which is held by four bolts and registers on the ring feature into which the new bolt pattern is drilled. I used the unfinished adapter as a drill guide. The crank is steel, not cast so this was somewhat of a delicate procedure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the new stock replace my cam and machined crank. Clearances check out fine @.002” on main bearings. BestGasket includes a two piece rubber rear main seal to replace the rope seal.

Pistons are cleaned up and re-ringed and ready for installation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  23. swissmike

swissmike

New cam installed. Note one year only spring loaded cam button on cam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Checking lifter preload. Necessary with surfaced heads and uncertain rebuild history. Cam on heel, mark push rod, then completely loosen rocker arm assembly and mark again. Should fall within .025 to .060”. Ended up at .110 and needed to shim the rocker arm mounts with .048” shims which brought it in spec around .040” preload.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. swissmike

swissmike

[​IMG]

New crossover pipe to replace the rotted and crushed original.
    Motor mounts are “hurst style” off eBay. Nicely made.

Dropped the engine in place to check clearance with axle and tie rod. It looks good!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Problem is exhaust routing. Rod draft tube also has to fit in space between block and x-member. Either notch the x-member and snake exhaust over x-member, or block off rear exit and use a 2-into 1 collector on the passenger side at the height of the opening in the x-member to connect the two crossover pipes and direct them to the rear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    Kage, Okie Pete, OzMerc39 and 8 others like this.
  25. Great build. I know some Wagner master cylinders came with a bolt on cap (if you can still find them). I did the same thing a few years ago on my '47 but I used a Mopar master as it was lower.

swissmike likes this.
  26. Did you have to fabricate those shims? And, oil pressure is fed through at least one of the rocker shaft stands. Correct??
    So you had to make provisions for that, as well?
    Good Job !!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. swissmike

swissmike

They are just Aluminum 6061 T6. The hole size is the same as in the head. I used Shellac sealer to position them so they line up in order not to impede oil flow.

28. 37plymouthcoupe

37plymouthcoupe

Great build !! I know it was quite a while ago but did not see an answer -You asked a question about the nuts on the rockers I believe they may be for bolts that go in the running boards in between the support rails ....

Hopefully I can post some pics of my build - being a woodworker I too use wood as templates as well.
    Your work is admirable !!!

29. Just checking in again on a great build. Keep the updates coming.

30. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Looking great!

Chris