Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Restored verses Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I guess that I am sort of a restorer in the case of the Car Craft dream rod. Here are the pics of the condition that I got it in

E7C62AA7-5929-423D-9EA7-0C7862F0612E.jpeg 7FA86865-D53A-4E87-BD7B-276E0802D2E1.jpeg

Below are some mid restoration pics
    323C813C-6E1F-402E-896C-F1DAF97B92AD.jpeg BC5A7611-3F4C-48B6-A615-318829818D6A.jpeg 9E8CDC44-6CE4-470E-A0F5-21DE72CF2E47.jpeg 3A09FF28-B353-4BFE-B749-B5B869C2398A.jpeg 80132EC5-5B9B-4224-8B39-C8EA62ECC43F.jpeg

Below are the finished shots of the exact 1963 restoration. The guy I bought it from was going to modify it and make it his own. He even had a flaming river steering column and billet steering wheel in it. In my opinion a historic custom or hot rod can be restored but never ever modified... maybe that makes me worse than the other restoration people. But these cars were one of one so in my book that justifies it
    FE927720-9ECA-4EDD-93D6-F8B6FF314F87.jpeg 8177825E-747B-4C03-98AC-DA16108BFC56.jpeg 06B49786-CA8B-40EA-AC41-AA08302F3D76.jpeg 6F4B1895-F238-4691-B689-7773EFDF44F9.jpeg D6E53553-0FF4-4A50-93F2-9DA64B96AF3A.jpeg 08637105-A1A2-4951-AC33-2AE4803EEC7F.jpeg

2. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I consider this to be a wide open but necessary subject in this hobby/sport. When I bought my coupe in 1997 I descided to keep it as built in the early 80's. I have only made minor changes and upgrades and it's still a headturner today...…….

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It can go both ways. As evidenced by some of the responses above, some people think every car needs to be hot rodded and will tell you so.

There's nothing wrong with restored cars, and there's nothing wrong with modified cars. Whatever you like is all that matters.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Somehow my current T coupe project is more like a restored car than my old Plymouth. It has a beam axle in front, drum brakes, manual choke, points ignition, buggy springs, and until the armature died; a generator. Now if I went crazy and put a Mustang II front end on, I would get ragged on by you "purists". We are no different than the restorers.

5. catdad49

catdad49

I/we used to go to Vermont to the show at Hilldene farm. There really was Nothing but restored or original vehicles, but it really was Cool to see them as manufactured. Did I want to purchase one? No. Did I enjoy seeing them? You Bet. Those are my thoughts on the matter.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There was a reason for inventing the "fast lane"!

7. gene-koning

gene-koning

It doesn't take me very long to become bored with vehicles restored back to when they left the factory, but I don't mind looking at them for a short time.

Then, there are those that were restored to a specific time period (read that HAMB stuff) and I can look at at those a bit longer.

Personally, I have little desire to restore anything, I much prefer looking at peoples effort to build something they like, though that can be a bit scary sometimes.
    Around here, I'm lucky to keep stuff functioning. Gene

8. At Goodguys in Charlotte I won a best restored award for my hot rod. I guess looks can be deceptive HRP
    [​IMG]

9. As hardcore purists go, I figure they’re just upset because a hot rod attracts a little more attention than a “factory fresh” stocker ( or is it stalker?)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like Hot Rods , Purist Restored or a un-restored surviving drivers.
    All of em'.

What's funny now is cars that were restored 40 years ago ( 80's - I know hard to believe ) sometimes are now mistaken with un- restored survivors when in fact they were restored 40 years ago.

I like em' truly un-restored.
    Everything about them smells old..... original history.
    Old gas smell, old oil smell, old musty interior smell, old - old smell

Example one I had some time back.
    Wish I still had it - but oh well..... P1010056.JPG P1010079.JPG 48 Merc RR.jpg P1010073.JPG P1010054.JPG

11. I certainty appreciate nice workmanship in any form. I think the purist are a bit closed minded. They should realize that if it was not for the hot rod guys demand for reproduction parts, they would not have the source opportunities that they also enjoy. My feeling is "A man should do what he thinks best" The Duke!
    The other thing is we do not live forever, so do what makes you happy. Just do it well.

12. Nice!:cool:

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The HAMB has a 1965 cut off, like it or not we are all RESTORERS. My '30 Roadster will be the car I could have built in 1962. I quit reading The Ford Barn because the Hard Core guys just could not accept the fact that there are people that don't care to own a 400 point $100,000.00+ Model A Ford. Bob

14. Who did the fade paint on the Dream Rod Mark?

15. Some good information on the barn. I see more and more guys on there modifying their cars for better performance etc..

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I did it myself

17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ask me the same question on my 48 Merc. ( use to own )

Mother Nature did it herself.

Bwahahhahahha :D

P1010079.JPG P1010068.JPG P1010056.JPG

18. No matter what,,,I think Dana is a great guy,,,,he drives an old hot rod that he built 50 -60 years ago,,,and has the guts to stand up for the others guys too .

Also,,,,,,his avatar is completely Cool,,,,,how can you not like Arthur Fonzarelli .
    #1 in my book,,,,,AAayyyyyyy !

Tommy

AHotRod, alanp561 and Just Gary like this.
  19. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s a 2-way street, as we all seem to know.

I have a great neighbor that restores cars to like-original - not a 100-point car, but basically like it was. He groaned when I brought over a decent ‘31 Model A that I was going to build as a hot rod. In his mind all hot rods are rat rods, etc. Anyway, they made roughly 4 million Model As, so I don’t feel any remorse. He’ll like it when it’s done, and just think of how much I helped the restorers by selling the original parts.

Not to bad mouth rat rods either, they’re just not my thing.
    F317418D-7055-4C34-A974-7DB86EAF8C15.jpeg 5ED992D9-C629-4C14-9338-A63A5D32D1C5.jpeg 5D0C648B-8DC3-4C06-81E6-24331F861659.jpeg 15464AB4-2E02-454A-93CE-E68CE59DA01E.jpeg

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have been involved with several 100 point restorations on Italian sports car when I worked for Tom Finley's Custom Automotive down in Miami right after I got out of the Army in the mid 70's .
    I can appreciate the research that goes into making sure that every hose clamp and paint mark is in the correct spot , but no room for creativity.
    I don't like being trapped in a box that if I go left or right of the line you get points deducted . Maybe that's why I can't really stand car shows. Sitting out in the hot sun for hours hoping you win a 2 dollar trophy.
    Then getting pissed because the car that got the trophy was a buddy of the judge. I watched a guy take his 150 mile original O/T ElCamino SS to Super Chevy and not win his class because the judge's did not believe his car was legit. Hell the car was 10 years old and still had the original air in the tires.
    It was the last year they were being made and he went to the Chevrolet dealer in Savannah, Ga. and bought 2 identical El Camino SS. One to drive and one to put away for a collection. He drove it straight to his shop and stored it. 10 years later I helped him get it up and running just to take to the Super Chevy show at Gainesville Raceway to enter the car show. He hauled it down in an enclosed trailer
    so he wouldn't put anymore miles on it. He got passed over for first place in the original class for a 1973 ElCamino that was far from original.
    I like to buy restored cars to hot rod because there is no body work or interior work. Just pop the body off the frame and do the mods and put the body back on and you have a really nice hot rod.

21. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

I pretty much like all cars and trucks and have had quiet a few. My favorite is the one I am driving at the time. I can find something to appreciate on almost all types, brands and builds. When I can't I practice what my Mom told me from little up, "if you can't say something nice say nothing at all". That advice works pretty good everywhere.

little red 50, Montana1 and TagMan like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

I've got another story about a restorer in the same area as the first one. This one's also into 32's, and he fully restored a five-window in the 80's, and then drove it every day as his daily. Summer and winter. He plain wore it out again. So much so that it looks like a well worn survivor.

But this guy also has a hot rodder's heart. He is a body man by trade and has probably done more hot rod bodywork than restored cars. He has his own period style hot rod projects, but I think they are in line after his vintage Harley and airplane projects.

Desoto291Hemi and Lil32 like this.
  23. The Portland/Vancouver Corvette club came through my little town on a trip they were taking. I was cruising the "gut" in my 64 Corvette and they invited me to accompany them back to Portland. A few of the members wandered over to check out my car. I had deleted the front bumpers and grill and the car had an incorrect radiator [4 core from an olds] no shroud, Cragar wheels and a Hurst shifter. Also had a 350 HP engine from a 66 'vette. A couple guys turned their noses up and walked away but most of them had some kinda modification to their own Corvettes. I went with them for about 70 miles...was fun! 64vette1972.jpg

AHotRod, alanp561, Tim and 4 others like this.
  24. This is irritating for a bigger reason than the hobby... it's common decency to keep your criticisms to yourself unless solicited, and even then tread carefully. It can be bad at cars shows, but it's even worse on the internet now.

On another note, I've been around Rods and Customs since birth, so now in my 40's the idea of having a stock Model A or T around to tinker with is intriguing. Grass is always greener...?

One story: My first kitbashed model car I built when I was 5 was an 80 Corvette with a Flathead and 3x2s, aluminum heads. I wasn't trying to make a statement, rather I had a corvette without an engine and I found an engine in the parts box and it looked cool. I remember my dad let out a great laugh when he saw it, and now I know why...

47ragtop and guthriesmith like this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I have always had a "bone to pick" with those stupid restorers. First of all, through the '60s, '70s and even the '80s, they wouldn't even let us rodders into their precious car shows...we had to have our own Rod Runs. They mostly hated us because we were cutting up THIER cars.
    Now they still hate us because our cars are worth 2 or 3 times more than their slow poke, rattle traps are worth. Screw them all I say:D

26. When having a historic hot rod/custom/race car it does kind of become a challenge though of what version or year to restore the car to. I look at cars like the Ron Dunn Ford, Moonglow, Grapevine, The Dream Truck or The McMullen roadster, all very very well known cars but all of them had multiple well known versions of the car. So the challenge with the restoration is of the version of the car. It was something my grandfather and I went back and forth on with Taboo for over a year as we were taking the car apart.

27. Cymro

Cymro

Let's put it this way, many a hot rod has been constructed from a base vehicle that restorers have passed over as "Too far Gone" or "Fit only for Parts".

28. I have no problem altering or changing any vehicle. Historic, original, stock, custom, hotrod, no problem. Previous owner did what he did to the car because that's the way he wanted it. I figure that since it's my name on the title now, I'm entitled to do the same. Anybody who gives me shit about it is welcome to cross my palm with cash to get their name on the title, so they can do whatever they want with their new car.

R A Wrench and hotrodjack33 like this.
  29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Orthodox vs Reform, same old argument for thousands of years

30. 49coupe

49coupe

I have run into many restorers and some refused to sell me parts because I butchered the car in their minds. From what I see, these pre-1955 purists are finding out there are less buyers for their stock stuff (generally). I guy near me, Don, is known as Mr. 51 because all he restores is 1951 Fords. These are 100% original and he has many Dearborn awards from his restorations. Now that he's thining the fleet, he's finding few takers. i.e. He had a flawless '51 Victoria for sale and he had a hard time getting $20K CAD. The same car with a 350/350 with disk brakes and radials would sold for more $$, with vintage air, electric wipers and cool stero, even more. People want driveability today. I understand some of their distain. I have seen so many poorly chopped and poorly built '49-51 Merc coupes, its nice to see an original one once in a while.

King ford likes this.