Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Edsel Teletouch conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gatz, Jun 21, 2020.

1. gatz

gatz

Anyone ever converted an Edsel Teletouch to a manual control ?
    Beings the steering column is specific to the Teletouch, would a floor shift be the easiest ?

2. squirrel

squirrel

is it a junior (Ranger, Pacer) or senior (Corsair, Citation)? Junior is like a Ford, senior is like a Merc.

3. I have seen one done with a shift lever mounted under the dash. It was not a conventional auto floor shifter, more like a pull-handle type under dash handbrake lever.

4. gatz

gatz

Teletouch came standard on the Corsair and Citation models.

squirrel likes this.

5. I think @squirrel may be suggesting you look at same year Mercury for an alternative to the Edsel setup.

Phil

squirrel likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

That, and I forgot most of what I knew about Edsels a few years ago.

7. gatz

gatz

Not really wanting to replace the column if it can be avoided....... but, that's an alternative.

8. I don't remember much about these either other than they are electric controll with a lot of things that can give your Grief. As I remember biggest issue was dirty contacts or frayed wires. Might help if you told us what it is or isn't doing that makes you want to dig into it. Most often it's understand how it works that get's you back to it doing it's job.

9. If I remember correctly, if you want to go to conventional column shift lever that change over takes you all the way inside the trans.

10. RmK57

RmK57

I found the main problem with the Teletouch is heat. Driving on a hot day with the exhaust nearby the shift motor tends to slow down or not work at all. Kind of like a heat soaked starter motor. What makes it worse is 95% of the time the heat shield is discarded by the mechanic trying to service the transmission. A regular automatic column shift was available on them and I'm sure a 58-59 Ford column would be close to a bolt-in.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Fords and Mercurys were different in 58, and this edsel is like the merc, not the ford. So the ford column probably won't be close to a bolt in.

pprather likes this.
  12. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I don't know what goes on inside one but I remember that my dad had one and on a hot summer day while driving across the desert in Utah it shifted into low and stayed there. When you are 7 years old it is hard to understand why we are only going 15 MPH while everyone else is passing you by. Naturally the kids in the back seat weren't allowed to say anything for fear of getting smacked.

squirrel likes this.
  13. RmK57

RmK57

Didnt know what series he has. just assumed it was a Pacer / Ranger / wagon.