Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Restored verses Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 22, 2020.

1. I thought the closed minded attitudes of the hard core restorers was a thing of the past, the local Early Ford V8 Club of America members are a assortment of restorers and hot rodders and they are pretty open minded.

Even the Founder and past president of the '54 Ford Club of America, Tom Hoskins (rip) was a hard liner but after meeting him in Novi,Michigan at the convention he was talking about building a hot rod '54.

The old, "I don't like hot rods and why did you screw up a good car" snips is something I have heard in a long time, but they seem to be some still out there and I was reintroduced to that attitude again today, I let the remarks go without causing a ruckus but I was kind of shocked that there are still purist out there. HRP

2. We even see it from some folks on this board.

Roothawg, Elcohaulic, -Brent- and 8 others like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I thought the corvette people were the worst... they would hate me

DE585B2F-C1A3-48B6-9647-ACACD3A9F91F.jpeg 3D4F0A36-8A4C-45F2-9AA9-C6AD56932C01.jpeg AE8C1A43-4A65-4F5E-BCA9-BA0CB86A7320.jpeg A7F836A1-837B-4ADD-A230-34D14C745995.jpeg FDD2D9CF-AD3A-4CD1-B1F5-181CCD10D4F3.jpeg C25350B7-80BF-4128-8723-29404D789484.jpeg 36712D94-A738-45C2-B059-07BEB841A382.jpeg

IronFord, dan c, don colaps and 42 others like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

Many in the AACA around here still have that attitude but I let their objections roll off my back like water off a duck. The disciplines are different and both have their pros and cons. I've done a bit of both and I think there is a lot of skilled work in both. They are both history and, in the end, adherents are all car guys and gals.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Restored cars were made to cut up to build hot rods out of!

AHotRod, Montana1, da34guy and 5 others like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Restored cars are to slow

-Brent-, JUNK ROD, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have usually have 2 responses depending on the person. 1st is easy “are you through?” 2nd is a little longer . I ask them to take out their wallet and look at the name on their driver’s license( a few actually have) and see if my name is on it. I say “yep it’s not yours” and say no more. I normally finish that guy with a “ thanks for stopping by” ....

8. alchemy

alchemy

I've got a buddy a few towns over who has restored many '32 Fords to 100 point cars. He has had most every body style. But in the last few years his teenage roots have crept out and he built an Ardun powered highboy roadster. It's interesting to hear the stories of his chopped and channelled '32 pickup he drove and raced in the 50's.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Very few in Ohio anymore.
    Moriarty, id love to see the Vette purists reaction to your cool car.
    They are the worst.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try having a chopped 48 Chevy pickup with suicide doors. Usually it is spectators who don't have a car that are most vocal with that attitude.
    I had the 48 at the Chevy - GMC Truckin Nationals in Ogden in 1982 and it was sitting back about 5 car lengths behind the Dream Truck on the football field where the show was and some kid walks up and asked why I had to chop it because they were "rare" in the middle of about 50 other AD trucks. It's always spectators that give me a ration of crap and never real car guys. The car guys just asked when I was going to finish it or paint it.
    Having been to a few Mustang, Corvette and Mopar shows as a spectator you see the real "exactly as it left the factory" fanatics Many who weren't even born yet when Moriarity's Corvette was customized. I can imagine the uproar his car causes with a few of them. Good thing the same guys don't see my buddy's 67 Big block roadster with the big fender flares that he had done when the car was almost new.

I still have individuals telling me that my truck would have been "worth more" if I had "restored" it and I have pointed out more than once that unless the truck is a 100 point national show winner it probably won't have near the resale price that a nicely modified one does. Model A fords are probably the best examples of that theory not working even though non car folk will tell you that time and time again.

11. Yeah, the person in question just happens to be a hard core Deuce guy. HRP

12. 2935ford

2935ford

I get the......."I don't know what I'm going to do with you!" from my very good purists friends.
    We have a good laugh. :)

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. atch

atch

I belong to the Mid Missouri Model A Restorers Club. We don't discuss my hot rod project. I just listen to restoration talk. I belong because the body on my project will be mostly stock and there are a lot of missing pieces like door latches, garnish moldings, etc. They are willing to help me with body parts and information as long as we don't mention the drive train.

They are pretty much purists though.

14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think at this time in history, all the people who were around in the era where our cars were stock, have left this mortal coil. The old farts left are the ones who hot prodded them as kids. Dumb spell check.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Tell them with a dead straight face it is a 1 of 1 Zora Dontov commissioned Chevrolet build.
    A corvette collector will offer you a million bucks for it.

I've seen hardcore Vette collectors go at it at shows on how a bolt head mark was different on one side of the engine vs the other.
    Like Production lines way back then would always have the same bolts - right ?

The best one was a bunch of guys telling this car owner at a well known high end Vette show what was wrong with his car...... this - that etc.
    Car Owner - said really ?
    Car Owner - How do you know that ?
    Response from these guys was - just know - we've seen many - judging for years.
    Car owner - ohhh so that's whats wrong with my car huh ?
    Guys - Yep......

Car owner was a long time very small town Chevrolet Dealer with a never touched 100% original Mid 60's Vette - word was it was still on the MSO.

Bloomington Gold Survivors came out shortly after that.

Crazy..... some of those purists.
    Passion to the extreme.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I've been keeping my Model T restoration mostly off the HAMB...because I know you guys would be so disappointed that it's not getting a bigass motor in it.

But it's really fun to go back in time and try to get everything working the way Henry designed it. And I take a 9 second Chevy to the parts store to get supplies :)

As for loudmouths...they're just part of life, best to smile and get on with whatever you're doing.

Oldb, Roothawg, milwscruffy and 32 others like this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Mopar guys can be a little stuffshirted. LOL Lippy

18. I tend to sit on the fence between hot rodding and restoring original. I see the need to have cars restored back to stock to preserve, but when your pulling a car out of field that needs everything, well then whats really "original" at that point when your replacing most of the sheet metal and having to find a motor. I have seen (and met) the restorers mentality even within hot rods and customs as they want to have a hot rod that has nothing newer than 1956 or something. I admit I can even fall victim to that mentality at times as when I restored my o/t 68 camaro and my current 68 C10, they are not 100% stock restos, but I like staying withing the Chevy parts bins and building "what ifs" of what was available and could have come from the factory.

As far as being on the receiving end of the comments and remarks, if I had a $1 for every comment made on Taboo for cutting up a tri five, I would have enough money to buy another tri five and cut up into another kustom, lol

19. I’m just thankful everyone in the car hobby doesn’t have the same taste in cars or we wouldn’t be as cool as we are. ;) The restorers are good at preserving cars to be modified some day by guys like us. :D

20. I can appreciate a nicely restored car and have enough common courtesy not to criticize another mans car or truck.

If I have a opinion I keep it to myself, live and let live but it amazes me that the guy that dislikes hot rods feel like they need you to know they think you have ruined a car. HRP

21. Jim, you are well respected here on the hamb and I for one would love to see your Model T restoration, if you feel you can't post it here, where can I see photo's?

Don't tell anyone but I would like to find a Model A or T myself to tinker with. ;) HRP

62rebel, WB69, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  22. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I grew up with a restoration background. My Grandfather and Dad were die hard purists associated with AACA. I have found it helpful to have the knowledge of how it was and it allows me to build a better looking traditional hot rod. The devil is in the details. Antique hardware, Hose clamps, Cloth wiring and so on make a car look better if you are trying to build it "Period Correct." Nothing turns me off more than a hot rod with an old mill set up with an electric fan, plastic wiring, nylon lock nuts and billet parts on it where everything else is antique. I always think cars like that look confused. But ultimately it is the car owner's choice to build a car as they see fit. When people usually have something to say about any of my cars my first question is where is your car? haha. Hot rodders and Purists and all car people can exist together if you find the common ground of the basic love of cars.

23. chopped

chopped

I can't imagine a car group not being wide open to any and all modification. Oh wait, yes I can.

24. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

HRP is correct about keeping opinions of other's cars to myself. I only offer it if it is asked for. It is hard to remember some people dont have years of car building under their belts. Many times they don't understand the difference between restored to original and a hot rod. Sometimes people dont care about period correct parts and only care if it works. to each his or her own.

25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Every year there is a big meet on Miami Beach,Art Deco Drive thing,it's two days,but only on first day sat. are hot rods also invited,day two/Sunday is all stock only. I was asked an,I was told there rules see my old hot rod as being a restored car over 20 years old,an there by can come on Sunday too,but I told them no thanks,if all these other hot rods are not invited,I don't feel good about it. Still it's great sat. meet,an yes I like stock too,but too me it's a bit too nose up in air, to say a new built in the old way is not good enough. It is to me,even though I own a old one. SouthBeachArtDeco2.jpg

26. 66gmc

66gmc

Well this is a forum for Traditional hot rods and customs, so in the eyes of most hot rodders we are just the same as the purists and restorers. The trouble with hot rods and customs is they are built to suite the owners personal taste, where as a mass produced vehicle was designed to appeal to the general public. I think thats why I will walk past most modified vehicles to check out a nicely restored or original survivor car. I'm not a purist, but I like traditional style hot rods and customs, not modern style stuff.

carbking, -Brent-, dwollam and 6 others like this.
  27. I like 'em both. I once had a 28 Model AR RPU that I actually bought to keep someone from cutting up cause it was as close to 100% original as I have ever seen. But it was impractical to drive in today's traffic and I found myself wanting to hot rod it. I already had 2 hot rods so I sold it to a guy who kept it original. I appreciate something that has lasted 100 years and is still original. But I discovered that I don't want to own one anymore. Hot rods are safer, faster, more comfortable, more reliable and ...cooler.:cool:

28. adam401

adam401

There are sooo many old cars in the world that nobody will want in coming years. The restorers who care will have their pick of the best. The hotrodders that still exist will have their pick of the best too. It just doesnt matter. There's plenty of cars to go around.

29. Don't look at me. I'm not one of 'em. :cool:
    I've 'modified' every one of the 30-something factory-new, late-model used, and anything else that crossed my driveway. I owned a bunch of brand new Car-of-the Year, factory specials, and "them there kind" destined to be desired by collectors who missed out when they were fresh.
    I didn't care how much the manufacturer tried. They weren't good enough for me until I fixed 'em up my way. Stock, from the factory, was and is way too ordinary and bland, like eating okra without pepper sauce. My mission has been to find the hidden potential for greatness in power and beauty. The manufacturers merely supplied the blank canvases.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  30. rusty valley

rusty valley

come on squirrel, let's see the model T! i have several myself