Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Update...Who's Going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BrandonB, Jun 21, 2020.

1. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

2. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

I will be there running a red 2006 Mustang that has already been 248.6 in the standing mile in Arkansas. Hope to have my major beater 1935 ford coupe 291 hemi with 5 speed which should have been run over with a bulldozer to put it out of its misery!

3. I'm still planning on going. Will be watching the weather and for any changes due to the virus...

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

I plan to go.

Dave

Mattsbidnuz likes this.

5. got rust2

got rust2

I'm in,
    we run a vintage ford flathead in a vintage oval track car.

Mattsbidnuz and tractorguy like this.
  6. If you haven't seen them, here are the regulations the BLM requires for this year.

Mick
    bonnevillerules.jpg

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We are planning on going this year for the first time. Going to camp at the Bend. Will be at least two motorhome, maybe more. Just bought a trailer last week to haul my ATV and Harley. If anybody sees us, come say “ Hi” .

Bones B963B517-7157-48C8-A71C-C3A3D3B329B0.jpeg

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We will be there with the Salt Circus going for the 150 mph Blown Gas Coupe
    And Calendars Pages from 2020- 2021 Calendar -3.jpg

9. lake_harley

lake_harley

nosnhojguy....248.6 is likely an overall record at Blytheville, isn't it? Are you planning to be running the AR mile again in July?

My wife and I have a room reserved at Wendover for B'ville. It wasn't cheap, but I was surprised there were even any available. I mentioned Bonneville when I read it was scheduled, and that I wanted to go to see it "some day" and my bride booked the room. Yup, she's a keeper!

We plan to be there for Tuesday and Wednesday. 2 days should be adequate to get a horrible sunburn and dehydrated. :eek:

Lynn

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It was just announced that Utah is closing down the state,,,,,,,
    What's it mean for SpeedWeek? Who knows,,, Ill be watching the SCTA-BNI Facebook page,,,,
    Maybe if a bunch of racers had a protest on the salt???? Just saying

11. Bonneville Land Management, at first I thought...….

Going back with John, Dave, and Dan and maybe some others with the Virginia HAMB Special.

[​IMG]1200 × 800

12. Really wanted to go this year....Keep us posted, Tony.

Mattsbidnuz and curbspeed like this.
  13. Tony, go look at the latest article from Craig Medred I posted on FB. Contradicts what Utah is proposing with good reason.

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regardless of the virus not going this year but keeping my fingers crossed for next year.

Mattsbidnuz likes this.
  15. Mattsbidnuz, 504640 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I'm going as a spectator, be there Fri night, Sat and Sun. First time. Going to camp at the bend in the road.

Mattsbidnuz and BrandonB like this.
  17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Were heading out again this year. Bringing our record setting Flathead Ford V-8 powered rear engine modified roadster once again.

18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

The first year I went was 2007. I was riding my bicycle through the pits and saw a rubber band powered car. Does anyone remember seeing it and what kind of speed it got. Really, no joke.

19. Yes, i remember it. We joked that the pit crew took the car to the end of the track and pushed it back to the start to wind it up! hahaha. Then let go!

20. REEEAAAL Slow, I forget the exact speed.

21. I believe it was 2008, here's pics. Wasn't fast, but was interesting.

Mick
    rubberbandcar1.jpg rubberbandcar2.jpg rubberbandcar3.jpg

22. Does the "bend in the road" get full?

Ben

Mattsbidnuz and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. No, there is lots of room as you go east away from the actual bend.

24. Word. The Bend can be a real mess if it rains. FYI

25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

If it rains, so will the salt. :(

I'll be camping at the bend with either my avatar car or my '64 Catalina.

IMG_5214.JPG

26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can do whatever you want, but I’ve been going to Bonneville since 1975 and that Catalina won’t never ever set foot on the salt if it were mine. Salt, like rust, never sleeps anD no matter how you think you’ve cleaned it ... well I’ll leave it there. Have fun and if any of you see me... I’ll be in a rental car from OC and be praying for rain all the way home..

27. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I hear you but the car has some pretty bad rust underneath already so I figure how much worse can it get?! :eek::D

I have a parts car with a solid frame and good panels and will eventually use them to fix this one pulling the body off and setting it on the other frame.

If I don't take the Pontiac I'll take the '34 because as soon as I get home I'm tearing it apart down to the frame to install my 392 Hemi and probably a quick change so I can clean off all the salt then. I used to be into off shore boat racing and I would spray down my trailer with silicone spray before dunking it. I might do that to whatever car I bring. You can also buy a product called Salt-A-Way which we use to clean the boat and trailer and flush the engines. I'll bring some with me and hit the car wash on the way home.

IMG_1110 (Small).JPG IMG_1116 (Small).JPG IMG_1118 (Small).JPG IMG_6044 (Small).JPG

28. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Took my 34 out one year. I liberally sprayed underneath the fenders with PAM. It worked great. When I got home there was just a small narrow ribbon of salt under the fenders which came off with very little effort. That was around 8 years ago and there’s no indication of rust anywhere. I’ve seen some guys pulling into the Nugget parking lot with their cars looking like they’ve been to the mud bogs only it’s salt. Those would have had to be a nightmare to clean.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  29. lake_harley

lake_harley

That car's "alternate power" reminds me of a steam powered motorcycle that ran the mile at a ECTA event in Blytheville, AR a couple years ago. When it was waiting at the start line I noticed a gentle curl of what looked like smoke, but after a bit of thought I realized it was likely steam. Well, OK then.....this should be interesting. No sound that I could hear. When it was given the "GO" it left the line so slowly it would seem it would have been a challenge to even balance the thing. It gathered speed e-v-e-r so slowly but if memory serves it ran about 70 at the mile point.

Now the rubber band car....that would be a hoot!

Lynn

Mattsbidnuz, chryslerfan55 and MJW like this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Jimmy, how bad is the salt at the “Bend“? Thanks

Bones