Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Who Drives a Beater Hotrod, Car or Truck and Likes it That Way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 55 is still wearing it´s thin factory paintjob and that makes it easier for me to drive it daily. Not in the salt, but we´ve had pretty mild winters for the last couple of years... Put 45k miles on it since ´15.
    IMG_0827.JPG
    My girlfriend´s suburban.... She always wanted a well used truck that showed it´s age. But what she bought was a mess. I restored it for her and she painted it using a paint roll and a bucket of dark brown epoxy primer. She drives it daily ( not so much on cold days, because the heater sucks) IMG_3230.JPG

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I bought this truck in '73 for $600, been driving it full time ever since. Painted it, new seat cover, and a powerhouse BBF in '75. With over 400,ooo miles, she is ready to go, when I am. With all of my incomplete projects, I don't see it getting freshened up in my lifetime. IMG_0493.JPG

3. Callmaker

Callmaker

DSCN5081.JPG
    This has been my "beater" daily driver since 1993, Love it!!!

Randall, ffr1222k, HotRod33 and 12 others like this.
  4. { Beaters R Neater } 098.jpg My 29 beater has been a bare bones Hot Rod for over 40 years now. :)

5. Just a few of mine through the years.

286.jpg 345.JPG 48FORDFRONT.jpg File0004.jpg

6. Of course I love beaters. My Ford is all new on the bottom, under the hood and so on. I have a bum back so as I'd love to tear it apart for paint... can't physically get into it. But I can park it anywhere 629-004.JPG and not worry about a scratch.

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Swamp 3.jpg unnamed.jpg
    My beater-ass '50 Ford. I hit the key and it just goes. I get asked all the time when am I gonna finish it. That means I have to take it apart...can't drive it when it's apart.

8. 2935ford

2935ford

I've had several "nicely" done vehicles in the past. I enjoyed them except for the constant cleaning/polishing the paint and chrome. These days I pick the best I can make it safe and just maintain/drive them! None of the cars after the Nomad have had any paint that I have done. Bought as is.
    55 Chev Convert 10.jpg 56 Olds 1.jpg
    57 Nomad.jpg 32 002a.jpg
    ac 004a.jpg roadster fall 001a.jpg Rick 29.JPG asbd 002a.jpg

9. I have driven both beaters and really nice cars and pickups. I was a custom painter for quite a while and drove nice painted cars somewhat as advertisement as well as for the attention they got. However, I have also had several that need a paint job as well and they get every bit, if not more attention. The main thing I like about the ones that aren’t perfect is that I don’t have to be quite as careful with them especially as the kids have been growing up. I still remember getting in trouble all the time around my dads cars and sometimes felt like they were more important than I was. I didn’t want my kids to feel that way although I also want them to appreciate the work it takes to make them nice.

Anyway, I consider both my vehicles beaters that I drive now although the original paint 56 still looks decent in pics.
    4BF544F8-8326-4477-AE24-477FD7ECA60F.jpeg FFA1718D-7EB9-47D9-BCEB-261579A44CCB.jpeg

10. We had my Studie ready to paint way back but I was waiting to find a better hood - when - while driving on I-20 a van tried to take an exit around the front of an 18 wheeler - I was on the other side and he clipped my rear at the fender bumper corner. It caused me to swerve until she did a 180 and rolled over. You can see some of the damage that's been pushed out and a replacement fender. Just look forward to every time it cranks and we can take another ride. I've never called it a beater....just a good old truck ! upload_2020-6-22_8-25-51.png

11. greener200

greener200

I have a buddy of mine ,hard worker ,plenty of money because of it. lots of big boy toys . He gives me crap every time he sees my truck .WHEN are you going to paint this thing ! I guess its a money thing ,,,,,OR , it could be that I really doesn't bother me that much .its my little putt putt truck .I had the grill professionally painted years ago befor the truck was put together. 20191130_142345.jpg It has a pretty face .I think a mint grill on any vehicle makes it . I,ll get the rest done somday but for now ,I like it this way !

12. This Summer I have been using my 50 as a daily fair weather driver & I love it.
    It's kinda like being a kid again. Resized_20200525_072413.jpeg

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

210superair, Dago 88 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good lookin' Shoebox! I drove my 'daily' for the first time in 3 wks on Friday. It was north of 90* and my '50 is like driving a Weber grille in that kinda heat.

Montana1 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I quote, "I do not think that word means what you think it means." Y'all sure have some really nice "beaters".

16. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

My old beater Chevy. Best part, if it gets scratched my touch up paint is rattle can primer.
    IMG_20190813_195508959.jpg

17. In a couple of years I am moving to N.E. Kansas part of the country...one of the first purchases will be an old beater to drive the many back roads...right now...not safe to drive anything older on the roadways...cant wait...

Thanks for all the posts....love seeing folks still driving these vehicles...

MikeC

18. Retrorod

Retrorod

My old beater, 20 years on the road and still going strong.
    old hotrod.jpg

19. I've been driving my truck for 3 years now and keep saying I'm going to get the running boards and front bumper on, but I just seem to have too many other projects that take priority...
    [​IMG]
    People ask me if I'm going to paint it, and I honestly reply that I don't know.

[​IMG]

While filling up with gas one day a guy asked me if I was going to fix it. I didn't say it, but I was thinking "I thought it already was..." LOL

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Bought my '55 F100 from a tow Co. in '72. Towing Co. owner owed me a favor, the '55 was a theft recovery, minus wheels, eng./trans, and windows broken.
    Rust free pickup had metallic blue paint, and everything inside (steering mast jacket, handbrake, etc.) was chromed. I paid John $60, complete with tuck & roll upholstery.
    I reversed 4 '50 Merc wheels, and grabbed 2 takeoff BMW tires, (1.95 R-15) the rears were 8.20 'seconds'. A free ('gratis') '69 Corvette 350 w/ '66 Powerglide went in on the P.O.'s mounts, truck was running well, by 1974. (It WAS a 'Vette engine, 'cuz I pulled it out of my customer's 'Vette! He gave me the engine, 12K miles, flat cam) as his brother worked in Detroit at Chevrolet Division. Crate motor with a credit card...)

Ex wife HATED "those ugly trucks", so I thanked God & Greyhound she was gone.
    Meanwhile, I dropped the front (reversed main leaves and flattened the rest) and installed a '60 F100 rear, 3.78 gear. Wow! Pulled trailered A/G rdstr/P.U. to drags with ease, Bonneville twice, never a problem.
    Fuel tube in tank rusted, (no rust anywhere else!) replaced tank.
    I eventually primered it, paint was coming...it was now my D.D., also my shop truck.
    Brand new S/W gauges, I put 75K miles on the odometer by 1983.
    New speedo, zero miles again. Still my D.D., we moved to central valley in '89.
    At 75K miles, (75,000 MORE miles from the first 75K) S/W speedo took another crap. That was in '95, when we bought our home.
    New fresh 350 in October of that year, (another Gratis deal! '89 Vortek from a local customer, after engine change. Edelbrock intake, 650 Holley, 291 Comp cam. 350 T.H. trans, nice. Paint-Prepped twice more, but only got primer: last time from red oxide to black prime. Yeah!

Still my main driver, but I need to install my new front axle: 1960 F100. (7/8" drop over the '55) I also have a nice steering box ('56 F100) I rebuilt with everything new. ($$$!) Rear 9" has loose ring gear bolts, so a 3.54 will replace the 3.00 third member.
    People point and whistle, start conversations, ask me to 'lay rubber'...Small town....

My O.T. Mercedes 300 SL roadster is smooth, but the Mercedes sits in the car port. I'm out in my F100...
    Wife Joey has loved it since we met, 1976. She works on it, drives it, and shrugs off the comments of, "Awww, a SBC in a Ford??? Why???" She slowly steps on the big MOON pedal and leaves a nice wide patch.
    Wheels are 2-piece Romeo Palemides 'Pre-Torq Thrust' F100 specials. 5 spoke with large Kelsey style center and small cap. How can I leave it parked??? Beat it. Yeah....Beat it.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  21. missysdad1

missysdad1

Judging by many of the photos preceding this post, I think the original concept of the word "beater" has been lost since it was invented. THIS is a beater.

gray baskerville roadster.jpg
    (photo courtesy of Pat Ganahl)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

The 57 has a 10 year old rustoleum paint job on it. One gallon semi gloss black, one quart mineral spirits= $35.00. I would rather enjoy it than worry about it getting scratched up.
    This car just plain does not let me down KIMG0702.JPG
    The 29 is a true beater. Thrown together with cast off parts and swap meet buys. Tractor paint via paint brush. I get out in it quite often, had to walk home a couple times. . . . 20190528_184044.jpg

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That is THE beater. Gray was one of a kind for sure.

24. I have driven beaters all my life. I don't like one that is totally clapped out but if it is mechanically sound and looks good at 80 I am happy.

25. Catmech

Catmech

Big smile on my face when I drive my beater. Lots of thumbs up.
    It’s my summer daily driver if it’s not gonna rain. Windshield and trunk lid leak.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaters have a cut-off year?
    Beater elitism.

27. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

[​IMG]

Yep, mechanically sound my 64 GTO is a blast to drive and I’m not worried about it at all (except someone who wants to steal it). It’s a great conversation starter. Wipers and heater work great, doesn’t leak water thanks to a new trunk seal. Wife would like me to paint it but it will be the last of my 4 cars to be done for sure. I drive it daily. They will pry the keys out of my cold fingers when I’m dead:) Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Thanks, she's a solid 50 footer.
    Except for the "Weber" heat, its a great feeling to drive this old iron, ain't it?

29. Pics please.......

Flat Six Fix likes this.