Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Orginal or aftermarket wheel cover?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by demon452, Jun 22, 2020.

1. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

I have a set of crossbar 14" covers. I know they have reproduced these through the years. How can I tell if these are orginal or some Chinese junk.

They do have some weight to them and only thing I noticed is the bar's on these go to the end. Repos I have seen stop short (dont go to the end). Last pic is repo notice where the bars stop.

So are these orginal or repos? What's the best way to tell?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Both pictures are of aftermarket caps. If you like to maintain and wax them once a week they will last a short while before rusting.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Aftermarket. That basketweave background is the default pattern on non-original covers.

Ray

4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-22_5-11-9.png
    Hello,

We have seen these reproduction flipper hubcaps on this Ford sedan for over three years. If maintained like normal or any hubcaps, they will continue to look shiny and good. Salt water spray may hasten the corrosion, but spraying normal water and thorough drying should give you continued good usage. The air inlet holes are simply openings for invasive water or moisture to get inside. With the current technical ideas, there should be a cover for that tiny hole, that looks nice and will seal up that water intrusion hole.

If the hubcaps are in bad shape to begin with, who knows how long they will last. If you really like this style, it might be better to order a set of new hubcaps from the myriad of dealers online. At least, you will start off with a new set and no creeping/hidden rust or blemishes, despite being a reproduction or copy of an original style.

Jnaki

As we have all seen and heard about the Dodge Lancer 4 prong hubcap stories, it is hard to get away from the original style that was so popular from the time they hit the market. We even tried on a set for our 1958 Chevy Impala from a friend’s car. For us, it was too expensive to get new ones, being teenagers and all. But the look was nice.

upload_2020-6-22_5-12-24.png @Dave Mc 48 Ford

Dave Mc and Ron Funkhouser like this.

5. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

Easy enough. Thanks for the answer.

6. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

What about these? Cant find any Info. Seen 1 set doing a google search.

Attached Files:

7. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

Thanks for the info

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Also aftermarket I feel quite certain. It appears to be a ‘blend’ of an Olds Fiesta style 3 bar flipper with a Dodge Lancer style wheel cover. I don think it is made from actual Olds and Dodge parts because the ‘flipper’ bars appear longer than the Olds OEM bars.

Ray