Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Good old 327 is hard to beat ! Looks good,,,,,in chassis work ?

Those are deep valve notches,,,,what kind of cam ?

Tommy

loudbang likes this.
  2. Yes doing it in the car. I don't recall the exact specs as it's been alot of years ago that I put it in. I think it's around 540 lift with 289 duration. It's a four speed car so I can get away with it. The car has everything gm sent it out the door with and it runs high 11s. We will see what it does with the improvements. It's my car from high school. I don't want to cut it up and make a race car out of it. 20140605_121215.jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg

3. Looks great with those wheels,,,,also,,,,,,that pic with the wheels up at the track,,,,,that baby has some good power for sure . The piston notches look about right for .540 lift,,,,,yes they do .

You just might know a thing or two about performance cars,,,,LoL.
    Also,,,,,to me at least,,,,,,,,nothing runs like a stick !

Tommy

racer-x and loudbang like this.
  4. I wish the coupe could still run three pedals and a big stick. A stick on the street is alot of fun. Part of the reason the 66 runs so good is due to the suspension mods. Morrosso trick springs up front with 90/10s. The rear has umi lift bars. Competition engineering shocks set on soft do the job.

5. You’re right,,,,,everything you just listed about the Chevelle is right on the money to run good at the track .
    That’s why it runs the way it does,,,,,good combination,,,,matching parts .

Tommy

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Great to see you out and about again having fun Brian.catch up with you again hopefully next year!! Cheers Steve

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  7. The parts for the air valve showed up today. There is a special fitting that adapts from the bottle to a number 4 AN male. This allows the regulator to be close to the bottle. With out it I would have several inches of adaptors. I made up a regulator pressure tester. With a pipe plug in one outlet and my checker in the other I can shim and spring to the needs of the bruno at 200 psi and the lenco at 150 lbs. This is so cool. I eliminated the need for a seperate bottle. The lines for the bruno and lenco are different to eliminate them attaching backward. 20200615_194852.jpg 20200615_202418.jpg 20200615_203824.jpg 20200615_203847.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. nexxussian

nexxussian

Awesome as always. :)

I've just caught up with this thread, again, amazing stuff.

I do have one question though, I've only worked mechanical injection on one car (Hilborn, on gasoline for Bonneville) and I am curious how you figure your percentage of leak at idle?

I had not heard of even wanting to know that before this thread, but the way you describe your process makes sense.thank you for that, and this wonderful thread. :)

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  9. The barrel valve leak controls the idle. Your injected gas engine most likely had a leak of 18-25 percent. A blown nitro engine needs more fuel at idle so the percentage has to increase. A ballpark number would be 75-85 percent. At idle the pipes should have a wet look several inches up. If it looks dry its lean. If raw fuel is coming out it's too rich. The leak down gauges all vary slightly so these numbers are a place to start. My engine likes around 83 percent on my gauges.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ahh, you have a gauge. We didn't, but being off a little in our situation wouldn't have the dire consequences as yours could. ;)

Thank you again for the awesome thread.

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  11. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

Nice Chevelle, so cool to have saved your high school car.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Thanks. The 327 is almost ready. That project got put on hold so I could get the coupe ready for the out of site drags this coming weekend. 20200620_155540.jpg 20200606_090505.jpg

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Brian, I found that screwdriver you've been looking for.

chryslerfan55 and racer-x like this.
  14. It works great as I have to jack up the engine to get the pan on and off.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Johnboy34 and loudbang like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Found this recent one and an old one on a site with just car photos. :)

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

enloe, Dog_Patch, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  16. Good luck today and tomorrow at Union Grove.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Thanks. Are you coming out?

loudbang likes this.
  18. Much improved! I do wish you had some sort of a grille. I love seeing those drag cars with an empty grille shell. Have fun and be safe this weekend!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Hi Racer-X, Say Hi to The Brothers, Frank, Mike and Todd Zieminick for me. They'er from up my way. Frank runs a Blown Austin and Mike a Blown Anglia. Todd runs a Blown Henery J but I believe the J's still in sick bay. I think Dewey Dilcher will also be making the trip with Todd. Dewey's a real ball buster so be prepared for some laughs. Whats the weather doing there?

racer-x, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. Busy finishing up the interior in a 66 Bel Air wagon including 9 foot headliner, so won't be there today. May make it down there tomorrow. Did pick these up last week for my 31 Vicky project though. 102_1341.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    j-jock, enloe, Desoto291Hemi and 7 others like this.
  21. Missle rockers and hot heads are a perfect match. Getting serious there.

kidcampbell71, enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. Well it's nice to watch and learn and then pull the trigger. Blower and injection are next on the list

loudbang likes this.
  23. Street or strip? Efi or mechanical?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  24. Mostly street, some occasional strip use. EFI Hilborn, leaning towards 2 port.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Good to know thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  26. I'm on Facebook now as of sunday. I'm not really sure what I'm doing. There are some videos posted from the weekend. I'm not sure how to get them on here.
    The weekend went great. The testing is complete. We found the tighter bearing clearances work to control the oil pressure. The shocks are working now. The car still hops a little we can fix that with more air pressure and more timing. The new regulator works great. The car attracted a big crowd each time we fired it up. IMG_1186.jpg IMG_2510.jpg

27. squirrel

squirrel

28. I'm already going crazy trying to figure it all out. My patient wife is trying to help me through the learning curve. There is a reason I waited so long to sign up.

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Load the videos on youtube and post the link on here!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Welcome to the dark side. As with anything, it is what you make of it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and loudbang like this.