Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Larry Schroll Estate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IronTrap, Jun 21, 2020.

1. IronTrap

IronTrap

*if not allowed or if you want us to remove mention of OT cars let us know*

This summer a huge collection of vintage cars owned by the late Larry Schroll is going to be auctioned off. Larry was a little different when it came to collecting. He didn’t stick to a certain brand or type of car, he seemed to buy cars for their unique options or modifications. The executors of Larry’s estate contacted us to help document the collection as found. Larry worked hard his entire life at a local paper mill, working 7 days a week. His family for the most part had no idea that he owned so many cars besides the few he would bring to family gatherings or church. The family is removing the cars in batches to sell over the course of 2020. We shot a video going over the first set of cars and showing a brief overview of his whole collection. We also documented the cars being pulled from the garages when they were transported to the auction location. The first set of cars that we helped document and remove are:

- 1955 Chevrolet Corvette - Sportsman Red - an engine swap was performed at some point, now has an early SBC.
    - 1955 Ford Thunderbird - Amazing Condition
    - 1964 Ford Mustang - 289 A Code - Power Steering, Front Disk, A/C (highly optioned)
    - 1969 Ford Mustang Grande - 351 Engine
    - 1973 Corvette
    - 1978 Corvette - Anniversary Edition - 92 original miles - Larry Purchased New
    - 1979 Ranchero GT - 47k Orginial Miles, Shows very little wear and tear

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's probably what the guys house looked like as well.

seb fontana and Irish Mike like this.

3. Larry Schroll (April 10, 1936 - July 29, 2018) - Spring Grove, PA.jpg
    Larry Schroll
    April 10, 1936 - July 29, 2018
    Spring Grove, PA

4. Some of the more “HAMB-friendly" cars that were/are part of the Estate Sale:

1932 Ford Five-Window Coupe (1).jpg
    1932 Ford Five-Window Coupe (2).jpg
    1932 Ford Five-Window Coupe (3).jpg
    '32 Ford 5wd Coupe

1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (1).jpg
    1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (2) .jpg
    1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (3).jpg
    1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (4).jpg
    1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (5).jpg
    1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (6).jpg
    '34 Ford Tudor Sedan

1932 Ford Five-Window Coupe & 1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (1).jpg
    1932 Ford Five-Window Coupe & 1934 Ford Tudor Sedan (2).jpg
    '32 Ford 5wd Coupe & '34 Ford Tudor Sedan

1950 Mercury Custom (1).jpg
    1950 Mercury Custom (2).jpg
    1950 Mercury Custom (3).jpg
    '50 Mercury Custom​

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020

5. Some of the "pseudo-HAMB-friendly" cars that are/were part of the Estate Sale:

1923 Ford T Bucket (1).jpg
    1923 Ford T Bucket (2).jpg
    1923 Ford T Bucket (3).jpg
    1923 Ford T Bucket (4).jpg
    '23 T-Bucket

1936 Ford Pickup (1).jpg
    1936 Ford Pickup (2).jpg
    '36 Ford Pickup

1936 Chevy Sedan (1).jpg
    1936 Chevy Sedan (2).jpg
    1936 Chevy Sedan (3).jpg
    1936 Chevy Sedan (4).jpg
    '36 Chevy Sedan​

6. This is what happens when you spend every dime in life hording and doing nothing with them. Please take note if you are one of these kind of personalities. All that effort and your family gets to auction it off. Well done.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing @IronTrap...time is now for some new distribution...everybody has a passion of sorts and this is another of the amazing things that unfold in life right up Hamb Alley...

@HEMI32 thanks for your additional shared history on this eccentric collector...Hole eee cow...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  8. Budget36

Budget36

You'd have to know his circumstances (I don't, maybe you do?). He may have been single for a long time, may have kids-may not have kids- who aren't interested in anything he did.

Maybe his wife passed/left 30+ years ago and he just wanted to live out his life the way he'd always wanted to.

I've a neighbor who is in his mid-late 70's, has a hoard of Hemi stuff, has many early '60's Mopars with Wedge motors, several other Auo/Truck stuff, and just a bunch of shit piled high you wouldn't believe.

I'm talking getting to his "area" in front of his porch, you wander a path of old appliances/etc...junk.

Ok, his kids aren't interested in a thing he has, been on his own for 30-40 years, when he goes I'm sure what the thieves don't cart out will go to auction as well.

Ya know, whenever I talk to him he's always in a good mood, regardless of his heath issues.

Sorry. Just kinda hit a spot.

9. @Budget36 - FYI ... Larry Schroll was survived by his wife of 52 years ... they had no children.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. I've been following Matt's videos on the Schroll estate and have to agree with curbspeed. It seems a shame to hoard buildings full of cars and junk just to let em sit and get passed on to other guys when your time on this marble is up. With several cars that were and could again be drivers, he woulda been better off thinning the herd and using the proceeds finish a couple of the better ones. The one upside is that at least he wasn't somebody who had no facilities to store his collection. The real tragedy would have been letting everything sit outside in the Pennsylvania winters to slowly self destruct.

11. More pre-'60 cars that are/were part of the Estate Sale:

1920's Ford Center-Door Model T.jpg
    Center Door T

1930 Model A Coupe.jpg
    '30 Model A Coupe

1948 Chevrolet Sedan (1).jpg
    1948 Chevrolet Sedan (2).jpg
    1948 Chevrolet Sedan (3).jpg
    1948 Chevrolet Sedan (4 ).jpg
    '48 Chevy Sedan

1959 Chrysler Imperial (1).jpg
    1959 Chrysler Imperial (2).jpg
    1959 Chrysler Imperial (3).jpg
    1959 Chrysler Imperial (4).jpg
    1959 Chrysler Imperial (5).jpg
    '59 Chrysler Imperial

1959 Dodge Sedan.jpg
    '59 Dodge Sedan

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Like to know why this bothers you.His money,his life.He enjoyed the hunt. Please note that most hoarders don't give a damn what nose in the air,let me tell you how to run your life types think or say. They are having too much fun finding more stuff. God bless them

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I guarantee you that we will see a lot more of this in the next ten years. I think one reason some people’s collecting ends this way is that they have trouble figuring out how to get the stuff to fair and deserving buyers.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Quite a stash, the blue Chevy sedan looks more like a 36 than a 38.

15. As you said it is a '36.

For those that piss and moan about collections like this, think of it this way, if the person (in this case Larry) had not bought the cars when they were next to worthless and then stored them when they (he) move on to their next buy these cars would be mere parts cars. Now these cars with some work can be nice cruisers again and a new generation can enjoy them.

Please enjoy the fact these cars exist in the condition they are in, some of those cars have been stored for near 50 years, so stfu!

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like how the ‘32 sits. :cool: The center door T is nice as well.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I'm with you Jimmy, those cars could very well have been melted down, and made into Toyota parts.

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

The fact that Larry had the mindset to store most cars inside is amazing. The majority of people just keep buying and stacking em outside. From talking to the family, Larry seemed to buy the cars for fairly cheap. Larry kept records of everything. I'll post some photos later tonight but the family has every bill of sale. He took photos of every car when he brought it home and dated it. If he purchased the car directly from a person he had a note of the deposit amount, the date and location. Larry may be considered a hoarder by some people's standards but he kept the history of all the cars he owned. We tracked down the previous owners for the 32 and 34 I was able to purchase from the estate.

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 32 goes with your shop...it was meant to be...congrats, can't wait to see the story and your journey with it...

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

You say that as if it were a bad thing

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree that he did a Great job of rescuing and saving these cars that might have been crushed or left outside to rot away.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

How is a 36 Ford pickup with traditional sbc not HAMB friendly? Its a perfect example of a traditional hotrod. Look at the posts on the HAMB that are restorations of stock cars.Many are cars that were NEVER considered as hotrod material, like the many International trucks on this forum. Someone accused me of not liking Internationals. Judging from the pictures from that era they must have been great logging trucks but they werent used for hotrods

23. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the preview, Matt. You are an awesome torch bearer! Proud to know you!

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not true about the Internationals. Someone on another thread said the same thing you did and I told him about my friend Billy Towe in OKC with the chopped '37 Cornbinder and Lincoln flathead. This was about '62. Looked evil, ran like a bat out of hell. Chopped so low I couldn't see through the windshield but Billy was 5' 3 and had no problem with it.

25. catdad49

catdad49

26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Internationals, when done correctly, can be awesome !
    international-s110-1956-5.jpg

27. prpmmp

prpmmp

Awesome work Matt!!! Thanks!! Pete

28. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman

lothiandon1940 and bowie like this.
  29. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

did I miss an auction date?

30. You are correct!

I originally captioned it as a ‘36 ... but when I added some additional pics of it I inadvertently changed it to ‘38.

I’ve updated the caption accordingly.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.