Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1936 ford sealed beam conversion help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moe Drum, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Moe Drum

Moe Drum

I have a sealed beam conversion in my ‘36 coupe (see photos). It retains the original lens and bezel and mounts the sealed beam behind the original lens.

This system works great for me and it provides great nighttime driving light. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I would like to piece together another such kit for another car. All I am finding are reflector setups for h4 bulbs online.

Was this some old aftermarket kit? Was it pieced together from some sealed beam car buckets?

Any help replicating this set would be helpful.

Thanks,

Moe[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I believe The sealed beam conversion was a kit available back in the 50’s and 60’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You just need to get a sealed beam bulb and the lense and trim ring will fit over it.

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

i just did this to a pair of 37 pontiac lights. i had some rotten old guide lights, and i cut the front edge off with the whiz wheel, and bolted it on the front of the bucket, then used the same guide piece that holds the bulb on, and trimmed with the guide style trim rings. that all worked because the pontiac buckets are a guide product too, and similar in size. your ford was an aftermarket kit, but you could make it with parts like i did.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have thought with the two different glass lenses the light diffraction would be all mixed up? Well it would not pass inspection down under anyway.

Crazy Steve likes this.
  6. My '38 Ford pickup has the same headlight buckets as '35-36 car, and I have the '36 bug eye lenses and rings on it. The traditional 7" round sealed beam units are getting hard to find and expensive. I used the Bob Drake reflectors that take a common halogen bulb that you can find in any parts store. My truck has the brightest headlights of anything I've owned.

dirty old man likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Don’t go around your elbow to get to your you know what....:D

8. Moe Drum

Moe Drum

I am only looking to replicate what I already have on one car onto another car. I am NOT looking for a “reflector” replacement option as the car I am switching over already has replacement reflectors and h4 bulbs. They are not as bright as my car with sealed beams behind the original lens, in my opinion.

This set up with the sealed beam light behind the original lens works great on my one car, therefore I want it on my other car exactly the same.

I have had no problem walking into an auto parts store and buying sealed beam headlight bulbs. That day may come, but it isn’t here yet, not for me anyway.

Thankfully a member has written to me that has a full set of this type of conversion and is going to pass them on.

Thanks,

Moe

dwollam likes this.
  9. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

My 36 came with the same sealed beam headlights set in your pics. I received no trim rings with it or stock lens. I would like to eventually do what you are doing. Do you use the stock lens & stock trim rings over the sealed beam bulbs? Will they fit or is there other mods to make it work. My car is a project in waiting so I have time until I get to this. Bill

10. Moe Drum

Moe Drum

Stock 36 trim rings with clips holding the lens in the trim ring. Fits with no other mods as I can tell. This will not work with 35 lenses and rings, only 36.

akoutlaw likes this.
  11. Old aftermarket sealed beam kits where made for a BUNCH of different cars and years. Sadly they work great but look like crap (my opinion), the stock light SUCK at night and only get worse as the cars get older (model As are real bad). The "beam" is now just a bright flood light with halogens and it all has to do with the pattern on the glass. I wish someone would come out with a "normal" pattern glass for old cars that had a glass lens with a bulb. I wish I was smarter to do it as I think the market would be good, most people wouldn't mind seeing a regular pattern on a 1928 Ford lens vs. the straight lines it has stock.

12. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Thank you.

13. dwollam

dwollam

I put a complete Vintique halogen conversion on my '31 roadster pickup. Reflectors and everything. Really bright but horrible pattern. Leaves a black hole in the middle of the beam. I had to tilt them way down to get the top of the beam to shine forward. Looks like a kid or puppy that just got in big trouble! In my '31 coupe I used CORRECT stock type reflectors from Snyders and quartz or halogen bulbs that fit stock sockets. Available in 6 or 12 volt. They work great! 12 volt in the '31 and 6 volt in the '27 T. The H3 or H4 halogen bulbs are too long to focus correctly and there is no adjustment. The Snyder setup uses stock focus adjusters. Some of my friends are now running the LED bulbs that fit stock Model A or T and probably others. They like them very much and they draw very little power. Great for generators.

Dave