Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

simon ,spin to nead 011.JPG simon ,spin to nead 008.JPG headed to the hills today to test out the trans .4 gears present and lockup on top.good result.lots of friendly waves and salutes on the trip..had good news on friday suspension guy decided to warranty the rack.im very happy with that.i wasnt looking forward to purchasing another and shipping it and paying the taxman on top.that frees up some cash to pay for some other bits. its expected to ship on tue once you guys get back from the holiday.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    pila38, Bowtie Coupe, Leakie and 3 others like this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

another stop today,putting up the miles courtbrack 004.JPG courtbrack 001.JPG

3. Very cool @nunattax Love hearing your putting some miles on it!

nunattax likes this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx a lot buddy.its good to be out on the road and ironing out the bugs.i was hoping for a trip to the normany beach race but thats not likley this year.its getting better all the time.chris

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

theyr out of gas..a set from young offenders

Attached Files:

6. sololobo

sololobo

Amazing cool build, looks so great, nice job brother

nunattax likes this.
  7. bubba55

bubba55

Cwis me thinks time is irrelevant when yer having fun

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx bud

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

dead right ,howz the A coming along

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

truck developed a rattle earlier this week on the way home from a short spin.it concerned me ,it sounded very ,like a tappet sound,top end but intermittent.on the way home i decided id have to inspect valve lash.it turned out to be a loose cover on the diaphram on the distributor much relieved, it didnt sound good.covers gone into permanent storage.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

whats the best way to set up the valve lash .i adjusted the valve to zero lash and tightened down 1/4 turn.whats the recommended?

Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  12. that should work. why did it loosen? cam going away?

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

nothing loosened on the tappets.just the cover on the distributor..i was thinking of going through the valve lash again and change the oil and filter routine maintainance.

Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  14. Looking great! I can't believe I missed your post. Can't wait to get over again. Beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

had a look on utube re setting lifter preload ,summit and comp cams both recommend zero lash plus 1/2 turn so thats how i will go.ill be happy when thats out of the way.planning oil and filter change but ill wait until new magnetic drain nut arrives

Nicholas Coe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im anxious to get the timing set once and for all.we tried strobing it but those chrome timing pointers are stupid pieces of crap .too much reflection.i took it off timing pointer 002.JPG timing pointer 005.JPG sanded it and painted it .the paint wont stay on long .i tried to mount the adjustable pointer but it will need some spacers .the timing cover is cast aluminum and not flat around the mounting flange it is counterbored around the mounting screws approx 11mm diameter .some 10mm diameter spacers should sort out the issue on a permanent basis.trial run shown with a stack of 6mm washers .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    TFoch, Leakie and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Leakie

Leakie

You know what they say, “chrome won’t get you home” or in your case it won’t get you 3 degrees before TDC.

nunattax likes this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

collected the temporary spacers for mockup (unchromed) will offer them up tomorrow. thanx mick

19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

offered up the 10x10mm spacers for a look added 3/ m6 washers on each allen bolt for a total of 13.5mm.texted my guy with the new measurements should have them in a few days.this pointer was a PITA to set up but i think its worth the trouble in the long run.the spacers are a bit fiddly ive droped one more than once .thinking of sticking spacers to the bracket for a easy fit.also had to file a little off the tip of the underside of the bracket to clear the bulge in the cover

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, Leakie and TFoch like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

stainless might though

Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

collected the stainless spacers long after T time due for fitting in the morning.not so sure about the white timing tape black might have been better.time will tell.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Lash can be different depending on the use of the vehicle. Zero lash works for most race situations using hydraulic lifters. The 1/4 preload is done on most performance engines, and 1/2 preload on less high performance engines. Granny's car gets a full turn of preload.

nunattax and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx for the info.ill try the 1/2 turn preload.not performance but not grannys car either.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

sprayed the bare aluminum on the pointer fitted the new spacers loctited the screws .happy with the result .then fitted the gaiter around the shifter.on last spin there was a lot of hot air coming in where the shifter gaiter was missing.really uncomfortable so i fitted that today dont know why it took me so long to get around to doing it. might be cooler and quieter in the cab now

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Leakie, Bowtie Coupe and TFoch like this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

set the lash on the passenger side to zero +1/2 turn.changed the oil and filter.the weather has got much cooler ,richened the idle mixture a tad ,ive no choke connected up. its running acceptably.really need to get the timing strobed to set it once and for all.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    TFoch, Nicholas Coe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  26. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

finally got the timing set .it was running very advanced ,how was it running at all.its now 11* TRANSFORMED running happier and more responsive hopefully more economical too.starting first tip.yippee

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

lovely fine weather here but im going nowhere at the moment..replaced the leaking worn steering rack with a new unit replaced under warranty.and tracked the steering at a local tyre centre,only to return to find steering fluid leaking out.the connection from the pump must have been strained during the renovations.ordered some olives to make a repair by shortening the hose and re-using the fitting.olives arrived today so ill be on that repair soon.this time ill be working from the top down removing the pump to access the hoses from above so as not to disturb the tracking .

29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

went at the hose today with my buddy ANDY giving me a hand.previous in our search to find the source of the leak we found 2 . 1 at the pump and another at the trans cooler line.hard to find the leak with fluid everywhere.cooler leak was a loose connection.under closer inspection today the fitting at the pump was loose .i was sure i had tightened that one.very little room to swing spanners.from below or above the joys of a fat fendered motor ,lots going on in a small space.trying to tighten the fitting from the hose revealed a twist forming in the hose.it was soon apparent the kit i purchased wasnt up to the job.the line needed a fitting on either end with a swivel.found one in the speedflo uk catalogue.i will have a chat with them on monday.a messy job with fluid dripping everywhere.
    we couldnt fix the leak but tidyied up the horn wiring behind the grille and swapped out some little nylon spacers either end of the hood hinge.hood gaps are much better again, after everything settled down .dual horns from 03 VW Golf.cheap readily available used,easily mounted , reliable and loud!.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i ordered the fitting to complete the hose on the high pressure side of the rack.didnt come today yet , expecting it tomorrow.this fitting has a swivel incorporated in it.

Nicholas Coe, Leakie and Bowtie Coupe like this.