Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rear panhard bar for 1936 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kkeyser, Jun 20, 2020.

1. kkeyser

kkeyser
    from California

Hey All:
    Does anyone know if there is a bolt-on panhard bar available for the stock rear axle in my '36 Ford?
    Thanks.

2. Several company's offer a rear sway bar for the 35 to 48 Fords , Speedway Motors & Bob Drake are 2 of them. HRP

[​IMG]

3. He asked about a panhard bar;)

1927graham likes this.
  4. Yes he did, but a panhard bar is not needed and a is unnecessary on a stock rear axle with a torque tube with a transverse leaf spring, the leaf keeps the axle centered along with the radius rods.

The sway bar would help prevent body roll. HRP

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020

5. If a panhard bar is not needed, why did Ford add them to the '46 -'48 models?

1927graham likes this.
  6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Use a dead perch setup.

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Why does everything have to be bolt on these days can't you just make some mounts and order the right length from Speedway . Are we doing hot rods or building Legos.

8. Actually Ford installed what they called a tracking bar /anti sway bar according to the Early Ford V8 club in 1942 , then in 46 -48 it was a a factory piece.

The stock 36 Ford never had a anti sway bar or a panhard bar. HRP

9. Incidentally, in a earlier post the OP said the car is stone stock. HRP

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bone stock?
    He must be delirious, may have just wandered in here from Fordbarn.

11. I dunno, take a look in the wagon threads or other "post pictures of..." threads, you'll see plenty of stock cars.:rolleyes:

1927graham likes this.
  12. According to the NEW Hamb mantra, dial 1-800 Parts has been around long enough to be accepted as traditional. Why problem solve and create when you can have somebody else do it all for you?

13. kkeyser

kkeyser
    from California

Appreciate all the replies. The car is not "stone/bone" stock, but any mod's I've made can be easily reversed to make her bone stock so I do not want to weld anything on to the rear axle. The reason I'm looking for a panhard bar is to reduce any movement the rear axle makes from side to side as I have put wider (50 Merc) wheels and tires on. It's pretty tight and I do not want to scrape my beautiful new wide whitewalls on the fenders. Anyway, guess there's not much out there in the way of a bolt-on?

14. F-head

F-head

I put a panhard rod on my old 36 phaeton by welding a tab made of 3/8” plate to the right rear spring hanger and welded a threaded bung to the left rear spring clamp strap
    Used a couple of threaded street rod type urethane rod ends and a short piece of threaded tubing. Worked quite well and was really simple