Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What did your father do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49merc, Jun 20, 2020.

1. A life-long Ford guy, my Dad did have some interesting cars over the years. 06212020.jpg

2. My dad beat the ever loving shit outta me any time I messed up...... which was a lot !!
    Taught me hard work, respect, value of money and not to be scared to try something new.
    Larger then life, the toughest sob I know, but also had a ton of time to teach me things and help me outta jams etc.
    As I got older he would sneak away from my mom to have a beer with me n my buddies and talk about his “ glory days”
    have fun ,take risks but be a man and be responsible for what you do.

hes 74 this year, great guy !
    Going to see him today

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Dad and Mom were married 64 years when he passed 3 years ago. He tried several things early in their marriage but eventually became a restaurant manager. Made good money, Mom and Dad raised 7 kids,
    all of us went to college. With 7 children money was something they were careful with, but Dad bought an old boat, fixed it up, took us kids water skiing, fishing, camping etc, During a recession the chain he worked for had a year where every one of their stores has a decrease in sales except his, they asked him why he answered he hired better people. They realized he was right, so they promoted him to a HR position. He spent the last 20 years in HR, worked up to the #2 position there when he retired.
    His hobbies were the boating, fishing, and wood working. As a child or teen I cannot remember any
    repairman at our house, Dad basically fixed everything while running a restaurant 50 plus hours a week. Was not a car guy, but let me do my thing.

Resourse

Hnstray, 54delray, Irish Mike and 6 others like this.
  4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Made artificial limbs and arms for handicap people.. He worked for my uncle his brother.

My dad was very good at making things and fixing them.. Up at my uncles summer home he used to get there ski boat running. It was an wooden Chris Craft speed boat. It was beautiful when it was running. He always managed to get it going.. He told us to always keep the hood open when parked so the points don't get damp or wet.. Once it sat in the sun for an hour or so it was fine..

Dad on Chris Craft 1961...png Jeff water Skiing Conneaut 1963...jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2020
  5. Mom and Dad have been married since 1974 the biggest thing taught me is family is the most important thing! Dad is 71 (I am 38) he was a Chevrolet line mechanic, weldor/fabricator.
    He build several late model chassis crewed on oval track cars, built engines.
    When he came to the hospital to pick my mom and me up he had three gifts for me, a teddy bear, a Matchbox car, and 3/8 through 9/16 Snap-On wrenches. I still have the bear, the Matchbox and the wrenches.
    He and my mom got me Snap-On top chest tool box for Christmas when I was seven
    My first memory is of him adjusting the valves on he 390 in his 72 F-100 Ranger. I was a toddler, he was sitting on the inner fender and I wanted to see what he was doing. I stood on the milk crate he had used to climb under the hood, I still couldn't see so I climbed on the bumper grabed the radiator support stood still couldn't see so I started to use the grill as a ladder, when he saw what I was doing he picked me up put me on his lap and when back to work.
    Looking back I don't know how he was able to run the valves with me on his lap.

Dad building-

Dad still building-
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    slim38, 54delray, Irish Mike and 11 others like this.
  6. In my eyes he could do everything!
    When he was a kid in the 30's anything he could to help his mom and dad survive the the depression, Sell newspapers, collect bottles for local bootleggers, shoot pool, bowling, cards, and roll a mean pair of dice. Just before WWII he learned to be a casting core setter. Went in France on D plus 4 and got 3 purple hearts from June to Oct. After the war met my mom and hustled produce out and delivered furniture of a surplus Army truck before returning to the foundry. Became a USPS letter carrier and retired a mailman in 1986.
    My Dad was my best friend, Always there for me until he died in 1999 and I still feel his presence today .
    But most Important in my life that my Dad did was falling in love with and marrying my Mom.
    Thanks Dad for being my Dad

Happy Fathers day to all the Dads and future Dads.

Hnstray, 54delray, Irish Mike and 9 others like this.
  7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad was a Hairdresser , just like me and my grandpa. He is 74 now and my grandpa was 94 when he passed away in 2006. Both always tried to fix stuff and taught me how to take care of things.
    Here´s my dad and me checking out my 34.
    21822225ar.jpg
    Grandpa and his buddy on a old NSU I guess. Must be near Passau in the 30s
    IMG_0814.JPG

My Grandpa only drove GM cars ( Opel mostly) but had a Ford Taunus Weltkugel in the 50s that kept breaking down on him. He didn´t like Fords at all (The German Army had Ford Köln trucks with flathead V8s) he had to repair them during WW2 in Africa all the time. Broken axles and cracked blocks.... he kept telling my that the Chevrolet and GMC trucks the allied forces had were a lot more reliable....learned a lot from him , the most important thing of all: war is hell , don´t let it happen again.
    IMG_0812.JPG

8. raymay

raymay

Our Dad was born in 1912 the Son of Italian Immigrants and lost his Dad at an early age and later his Stepfather. Extremely mechanical and hard working his entire life. Our Aunts and Uncles always told us how he supported and took on the role as head of his Family. Dad had machinist training but was denied employment by larger local companies because of his Italian heritage. One of his Uncles had Family members change their last name when he opened a Furniture store. Our Dad worked at the store for his Uncle and met our Mother there. Mom was also from an Italian immigrant Family who ran a small local restaurant. After they got Married Dad worked for our Grandparents at the restaurant. In the 40's the Family was beginning to move to the West Coast and Dad ran the buisness along with a Brother-in-law. In the early 50's our Mom's youngest Brother our Uncle Ralph returned from service in Korea and came back to Rochester to help sell the Family business so we could move West. In 1953 our Mom passed and Family members all stepped in to help our Dad with his four young children of which I was the youngest. Uncle Ralph now in his 90's made the decision to remain here and along with our Dad they ran the restaurant until their retirements.
    Being the youngest I was like Dad's mini-me and did everything with him. A Father, a teacher, an amazing Grandfather, Uncle, a role model and one of the best examples of true Family values. When anyone says that I remind them of my Dad, it is the best compliment that I can receive. I will always miss having him around and think of him often.

2.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg scan0029.jpg 15731881_360762214294244_4763106767421656647_o.jpg scan0048.jpg
    scan0054 (2).jpg

Hnstray, 54delray, Irish Mike and 9 others like this.
  9. Happy Father's day. I need to go back and read your stories. I HAVE the best dad ever. He's 87 now , and in great health. He married the preacher's daughter in 1950. Then built a new home on his dad's land. He went to work for an HVAC company 1950. In 1962 he mortgaged his home and bought the company. He's still in charge of it today. He has always put Faith and family first. He's never been into cars. But always supported his kids in whatever we liked. I'm having him over for a cookout today. I haven't been the best kid, but he's sure been the best dad! He sold his Knucklehead to pay for me in 1952. So Thanks Dad!!! 20200619_091742.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. finn

finn

My dad was born to immigrant parents in 1921 in a remote copper mining stamp mill community along the shore of Lake Superior. He moved perhaps fifty miles to another, similar company town in 1932. The most memorable things I recall him talking about re his childhood were that he learned English at school. It was never used at home or with his buddies on the playground. He almost drowned in the Tobacco River, so he had a lifelong aversion to swimming after that, and he was a lifelong baseball (Detroit Tigers) and football fan, but not athletically talented in the least.

He served in the army during WW II, as a watch repairman, stateside. He had no heroic war stories, but, ironically, that stint, working with carbon tetra chloride, is probably what killed him, at only 77, many years later, in 1998, from lymphoma.

He got his Bachelors Degree in Metallurgical Engineering via the GI bill in 1951, and had a modestly successful career in ores processing R&D with a steel company, and later at a University.

Dad wasn’t a hands on car guy, although he always carried a spare fuel pump for his 34 Ford Tudor sedan to change on the side of the road. I never recall him doing any hands on work, other than bringing the battery for his 53 Ford flathead to warm it up to start the car, or pouring boiling water over the heads at twenty below zero.

He was fairly knowledgeable about them, though, and was happiest studying the new models in search for a mid level family sedan, usually a Ford, every four years. He thought cars started to nickel and dime you at four years or sixty thousand miles. He finally got hi dream car, a Lincoln, a few years before he passed. Ironically, given that he always had a professional job as an engineer, he could have easily afforded that Lincoln decades earlier, but memories of the depression and raising six kids and sending them att to college were higher priorities. For that I am thankful.

He encouraged my passion for cars and things Mechanical, even though he didn’t personally have those skills or tools. He decided he needed a 65 Mustang for a second car at about the time I got my license. I think he drove it twice....

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My Dad worked in the natural gas industry with me , he taught me lots of stuff to keep me and others safe .The biggest thing I remember from him drilling into my thick skull is , you have to stand up and be a man , don’t back down in life . If you make a stand fight till you die , win or loose the world will respect you for it . I made lots of those stands so far in life , I’m still here and thankful I did what I did no regrets . Well maybe a few , I guess I will have to discuss these with St Petter .

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My father was born in 1932 and passed four years ago. He served in the Korean War ( in Greenland!) and then married my mother and became a "gas measurement accountant" for a local natural gas company, tracking the production of natural gas wells.

He liked cars but wasn't a "car guy" in the hobby sense. But he always encouraged me to work on cars, teaching me the little bit that he did know. He was a quiet guy but a great family man and made sure we had a modest but adequate upbringing.

In 1970 he traded in a 1966 VW Squareback wagon for a lightly used 1968 Chrysler Town & Country wagon, which eventually became my first car when I graduated college. Growing up in a car with a 440 and dual exhausts was what really kicked off my interest. Later, when I was in high school in about 1973, he bought a 1966 Mustang (although only a 6 cyl, automatic) as a second car for the family. These cars were just enough to spark my imagination and set me on the automotive path I've been on ever since. Thanks Dad!

13. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i was raised by a stepdad. he earned the right to be called dad, and by all rights he was my dad. he raised a 2 yo boy as his own. dad was a machinist and with a partner they built a company in houston. he was stern but fair. he taught my brothers and i a trade that all of us still use to this day. we lost dad almost 5 years ago and i miss him.

my father on the other hand was a piece of work. drunk as soon as the work day was over or drinking as soon as his eyes opened on his off days. the last time as a kid i spent time with him i was 9 yo, when i was getting out of the navy and 21 yo he decided i was missing in he life. tried to over step my dad and tried to tell me he was worthless. dad always taught me to respect my elders so i never told him what i really thought of him. he drank himself into alcohol syndrome, got put into a health care home were he passed from lung cancer.

another i have to mention is my father in law, been around him for 36 years and he is a good man. always treated me as his own son. earned my up most respect.

14. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Electrical Engineer. Worked at the same company for 42 years. Extremely smart and well read and also my best friend. We spent a lot of time together and I miss him dearly. He passed in 2007. He was not a car guy at all. I started to work on his cars when I was 15 cause he hated them and they put him in a bad mood. He loved my GTO that I brought home at 17. First thing he did was pull his car out of the garage and said pull your “machine” in here Ran (my nic to him only). The Goat stayed in that garage and he scrapped windows in the snow on his for the next 20 years. We spent every Sunday evening together talking WW2 or watching something on the history channel. Happy Father’s Day dad. Miss ya. Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 199C81D4-4A45-46F7-ACA0-7A7F47F055B9.jpeg All of these stories are a shining example of what an influence a good man has in his children’s life .
    My dad,,,Daddy,,,,,had a tremendous influence on my character ,,,as well as my mom,,,,,Mama ,,,,,,I still call them that today,,,thank God they are still here .

Daddy had heavy equipment and taught me to work and repair the equipment .
    He was and is a man of steel,,,,,,,the toughest guy I ever knew .
    He is only medium stature,,,,,,but has an iron , never say quit constitution .
    He was a Church of God preacher,,,,,so no alcohol or drugs around,,,,,honest,,,no cussing,,,,,,,,,if we stepped out of line,,,,,there would be a penalty phase,,,,,,,oh yeah,,,,,,we learned to act right !

One story,,,,,,it happened when I was about 12 maybe,,,,,can’t remember for sure .
    He had an old Allis Chalmers. HD 11 dozer,,,,,,he had the undercarriage unbolted and the back side jacked up with a 20 ton bottle jack .
    He always blocked these machines up for safety,,,,but this day he didn’t .
    He was working underneath,,,,,but got out to get a different tool he needed .
    So,,,,,like a kid that wants to imitate his dad,,,,,I decided to climb under too .
    When he came back,,,,you talk about having a fit,,,,,,,he chewed me out and told to get out of there .
    He said,,,,,,,boy,,,,,don’t you know that could fall and kill you ,,,it’s not blocked up !
    I said,,,,,yeah Daddy,,,,,but it could fall on you too ?

He said,,,,, “Yeah,,,,,,but that’s alright if I get killed,,,,,,I’ve had my life,,,,,,you haven’t ! “

I guess I have never forgotten that statement,,, he is a rock that I depend on .
    Here is a pic of us last fall at the Waffle House,,,,,,he was 90 then .
    He still wears his work khakis all the time,,,,,he still works on something everyday too .

Tommy

slim38, 54delray, Irish Mike and 10 others like this.
  16. Easter Sunday '71.jpg My Dad was a heavy duty diesel mechanic. He worked in the Naval Shipyards during World War II and as a Cat mechanic afterwards until he retired. He was the family and neighborhood mechanic, always working on something on the weekends. He considered an automobile as nothing more than transportation so he never really approved of my cars and motorcycles but he was always willing to help with something that I couldn't figure out on my own. I learned the bulk of what I know about mechanics from him. He was a good provider, we lived well growing up. He was a better grandfather than he was a father, he had a little more experience at it by the time my kids came along, I guess.

17. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

Started truck at 17 years old for his dad, eventually bought the Sand plant from his parents. Owned More Sand Company for the next 50 years until eventually selling out to another company. Semi retired at 67 and continued driving a a rock truck until he was 75. He was always involved in the old car scene and taught me everything I know about mechanics. Loved his sprint cars and was a long time member of kkoa, Kansas antique auto racers a several motorcycle groups. I'm keeping the passion going with the younger generation. 20150907_102408.jpeg 20160320_123333.jpeg

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

530689_391262144302280_8176562_n.jpg
    my first recollection of my Dad was around 1950. He was a panel man ( flight engineer ) on B-36 Peacemaker intercontinental bomber. He got a great assignment in 1953. He would become the military liaison between Hayes International in Birmingham Alabama and the Air Force. Every day was about aircraft at our house.
    I do not believe there was ever an engine that Dad could not get running good. He was a car guy out of need to keep the family vehicles running. This picture is of Dad with " The Colonel " ( Woodlawn High School mascot , yes, the same Woodlawn High School from the movie WOODLAWN ), his 1959, Galaxy 500 XL........Chrome skirts and the angled antenna in the middle of the trunk.
    He went too soon. I miss him

19. My dad was a nice guy.Other kids use to tell me how nice my folks were so I guess not everyone was as lucky as me,and my 5 brothers,and sisters. Dad came home from WW2,and became a banker for the rest of his life.He knew next to nothing about cars,but gave up half the garage,and I filled it with projects for years even after I got out of the service.Never complained.

20. chubbie

chubbie

My Dad was a farmer, he was the one that got the family farm. He had a lot handed to him, and always expected it. Every thing was his. He worked the shit out of me, He beat the hell out of me and was a master of control. When he no longer needed my cheap labor he NEVER spoke to me again. He is dead

21. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Born in 1898 Dad saw the world go from kerosene lanterns, horse and mules, and dirt roads to fast cars, super sonic planes, electronic everything, and huge 8 wheel all wheel drive tractors that could plow more in one pass than he could in a week. Lost farm in the depression so he got a job driving a maintainer for the county that paid $21 a month which supported a family of eight. No frills or new anything but none went hungry. We kids, 3 boys and 3 girls, learned early on there was a direct connection between hard work and better things in life. A loving man, hard worker, and brilliant mathematician even though he had a sixth grade education. Champion billiard player (pool table with no pockets) when young and no slouch at 65 years old. Car stories without end as he was in on the very beginning and lived to the end of the muscle car era. Still think of him often even though he been gone for nearly a half century.

54delray, Irish Mike, raymay and 5 others like this.
  22. 55Belairman

55Belairman

My dad worked for the IRS. He was a great guy who took care of his family. He liked baseball, and fishing. He didn't like loud cars, motorcycles, or guns. (the 3 things I couldn't get enough of) We still got along great. He has been gone for 25 years. Miss him every day.

23. Country Joe

Country Joe

Thanks for everything
    10486020_820454904633304_3726967770607244839_o.jpg

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Born in 1913, my father was a farmer all his life and to him cars were transportation although he always had nice ones. He taught me how to work and be honest with the people you deal with. He wasn't in favor of my hot rods until one day a local man brought into the morning coffee shop an issue of Hot Rod that had my deuce coupe in the center. He was proud and it changed his attitude.

54delray, Irish Mike, raymay and 8 others like this.
  25. Gman0046

Gman0046

My Dad was a Fire Fighter and super Dad. He retired after 20 years to help my Mothers Dad run his construction company. After he passed we found out how many people he had helped over the years. He was truly a great person. I am so sorry I never realized this until after he had passed. I miss him so much and wish I would have spent more time with him when I had the opportunity. I wish I could be half the man he was.
    RIP Dad on this Fathers Day.

Gary

26. trollst

trollst

Gary, I'm sure you're all the man he was......I bet he poured his heart and soul into you.

27. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see... born in '30, joined the Army in '50 to get out of the Alabama coal mines. Spent 6 years in the Army, including some fun-filled time in Korea (that's how he always described it). Married Mom when he got home, got out in '56. Joined the Navy in '58, had more fun-filled times- three tours in Vietnam, retired in '78.
    Dad had his share of problems but he loved my mother dearly, took care of her full-time when she was put a wheelchair with health issues and still managed to open and operate his own business after retiring from the Navy.
    I left home at 15 years old but took some of him with me- his work ethic, his devotion to those that he loved and unfortunately, his temper and love of hard liquor.
    It took me a long time to fix that, as it did for him as well, and longer for our relationship to heal but it did and I still have a heart full of respect for him.
    Love ya Dad RIP

28. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Dad was born in 1915. Served 5yrs in the Army during WWII. Seemed like they sent him all over the world while he was in. Worked as a mechanic at the same Ford dealer for 35yrs. Taught me just about everything I know about mechanics. Though only an 8th grade education it seemed like he could fix just about anything. Didn't care for my car hobby at all. Working on cars is how you made money to him. After I came back from the Marines in 70' we never seem to see things eye to eye anymore. I'm sure now it was my fault. We patched things up somewhat late in his life but it was never the same. Just one of those "if I could do things over again".

29. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My dad ran a small business for 42 years. Worked there for 10 years before purchasing.

30. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

My Dad died in 1973,I was 22. He worked in the Steel Mill, shift work, weekends and holidays and all the overtime he could get. I didn't see him much growing up but we had all we needed. He was not a car guy ,But he always supported my love for cars. I still miss him very much.