Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods where is the Model A sbc conversion thread of threads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by camshaw, Jun 20, 2020.

1. camshaw

camshaw

ive search this site over and over, is there a go to sbc conversion thread on the hamb? I know,cuss me out and call me all kinds of names, then when you're all vented, post the link please....lol....thanks,cam

alanp561, kadillackid and missysdad1 like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

If there isn't one, there should be. This swap is done poorly so often that an easy-access reference thread would really be useful to those who've not grown up with this knowledge.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'd be interested in some of the tips on doing it too. How much does the firewall have to be cut or does it have to be cut? I talked with "cruzer" about the car below. If I was asking the right questions and understanding the answers, I believe he said the firewall wasn't cut on his car. I think he said it still had the stock gas tank too. If that can be done, I'd love to know how it was accomplished.

I have a '31 Coupe that I was building with a 2.5L chevy and it fit just fine, but now I am 99% decided to stretch out the project even longer (a little sarcasm there) and start over by going to a SBC.

Lynn 009FoothillRanchCruiseNight011-vi.jpg

4. You would think that there would be a reference book on the conversion... there's lots of books about small block Chevys, (I have several) and books about hot rod building.

5. camshaw

camshaw

haha, thats a great pic above! old henry must be shaking his fist at me!...a flathead wasnt an option for me, and the cost of hot rodding the orginal 4 banger was more then the sbc conversion when u penciled it all out...

6. I think there isnt a definitive thread because of the unlimited possibilities with the A. Auto VS Stick shift. 4 speed VS crash box,and adapter.It goes on,and on.28-29 VS 30-31. With a 30-31 you can reverse the firewall for clearance.Not so with the 28-29 that needs to be cut for room. Your ahead to search individual problems like the firewall.There are good books out there like Vern Tardels which is flathead based,but addresses lots of chassis mods.

61cad likes this.
  7. camshaw

camshaw

IMG_9057.JPG IMG_9029.jpg Reason I asked is my 13yr old son and I picked up a nice 31 coupe cheap, restored in 1980,but had low compression and he couldn't sell it, so we snached it up!... I pulled out the firewall, Just building a new one and setting it back about 2" over stock, pulling the body this week to box the frame and build the firewall and tab the motor and trans, had a 8.75" mopar rearend narrowed to factory width for the model A, my buddy built me a mild turbo 350 trans, block is getting decked to fresh'n up the 350 motor, a buddy gave me a set of rams horns, hope they will clear the stock steering box and column? ordering the tie rod kit to split the bones front and rear, will bend up a rear trans crossmember...sold the banger m/trans for $500 and the wheels and rear end for $900, picked up a dropped super bell disc brake front end from a hamber Im going to use..I completely gutted the old gas tank and kept it for the oem dash, gutted the area behind the gauges and ordered some gauges to replace the oem crap and put in a standard ignition switch...building the underbracing for the swinging peddle assembly, ordered a gm single pot 60s master cylinder for it, heated the oem brake peddle and straightened it out for my lever..took out the rear package tray moving the seat back 4" and bending a 1" tube surround bar to replace the package tray, I need legroom as im 6'4"...my 13 year old son is my best helper, this kid keeps me motivated!...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    alanp561, Mat Thrasher and cactus1 like this.
  8. camshaw

camshaw

thinking about using the center section of the oem firewall to live'n it up a bit?? tank will be in trunk which opens up the behind dash area a ton!...picking up a new autowire kit or something like it so it can have the battery in the trunk and all new 12v wiring so we can drive the car to vegas and rod runs...found some 31" tall 7.5-16s for $109 each,light duty truck tires that should fit and dont require tubes! ordered a set of 16x4.5" solids to see how they fit...might go with 16x6" solids on the back? front and rear is 5x4.5" bolt pattern with dutchman axles and freeway gears for now....then chassis work to get this old gal down in the weeds!!!
    IMG_9063.jpg IMG_9061.JPG IMG_9064.JPG IMG_9066.JPG IMG_9067.JPG IMG_9068.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    alanp561 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that there isn't a definitive thread simply because unlike sticking a flathead in one there isn't a pretty well defined way to do it. Basically get your fan the correct distance from the radiator and build back from there with a SBC. Short water pump preferred over a long pump.
    There are a dozen ways to do the mounts and still do them cleanly and simply. Transmission choices abound.
    One continuing thing we see with the VOCAL stick a Ford in it brigade is that outside of the flathead guys we seldom if ever see any build threads of their cars nor do we see photos of their OHV Ford powered cars very often. We see avatars of their "dream" engine and their Henry gif but never their car. Maybe those guys need to start their own "show your Ford in your Ford thread and I don't mean stock engines in crusty early 60's 4 door sedans.

clem, Murphy32, Tman and 2 others like this.
  10. Looks like you have it well in hand.Might consider going with the F1 truck steering box.Take the mounting flange off the A box,and cut,and weld it to the F1 box,and you end up with better steering that bolts to the stock frame holes.

redo32 likes this.
  11. camshaw

camshaw

mr48chev, good points 100%....I love hot rods and musclecars and Im just happy to see them on the street, im not brand loyal as all mfgs made some big time junk and some cool stuff too....but if an old coupe doesn't get with it then I sure couldn't consider a banger or flathead for my liking...I ended up getting the side motor mounts they sell online with the big rubber donuts and Model A plates u weld to the frame once boxed..any recommendations on whos wishbone splitting kit to get? Machine shop said the block is machined, so now we can reassemble the motor and tab it in the chassis this week...
    ps....steve....I will do some digging and see if i can find one...thanks...

12. camshaw

camshaw

more work accomplished, frame boxed ready for welding, trying to find wishbone ends that I like to order and a trans x member....wheels are back ordered from wheel vintiques.... IMG_9121.JPG IMG_9118.JPG IMG_9144.JPG

13. Dayamn! That was a gauntlet thrown! Love it.

clem likes this.
  14. No real "how to" threads as everyone does it slightly different. My friend has a '30 we did in the late 90's, he used the outer band of the firewall, put flat sheet in and used the corners as a dist bump, others reverse the firewall and others use a wheel barrel. Just keep building, if you have a question or a problem comes up just post it on here. I'm slowly building a '28 Tudor with the stock cowl tank, so lower firewall mods are needed (327).

15. RmK57

RmK57

Dream engine in a dream body, happy? It is nice to have a little variety instead of the same old mundane engine swap that's been done 8 million times. No?

43377448_890193921170633_259477872207462400_n.jpg

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Dude... putting a small block Chevy into a Model A is like falling off a log. Probably the easiest engine swap of all time. Even easier if you're using a '32 frame. ;)

If you need a how to thread for that go back to the kitchen where the recipe books are and make us some cookies... :D

IMG_0639.JPG

17. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

18. Hate a butchered firewall... I totally agree with a reverse firewall in ‘30 -‘31

continentaljohn likes this.
  19. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Trying to find the post on how to do the F1 /model a mount steering box.

alanp561 likes this.
  20. clem

clem

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

302 Fords...
    My old one 3022.jpg

My new one:D 3021.jpg