Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features How long did you lurk before joining the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspd2quad, May 14, 2020.

?
  1. I joined when I found this site.

52.3%
  2. I lurked for 1-2 years

29.1%
  3. I lurked for 3 + years

18.6%
  4. I joined when I saw this poll.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wow, I had forgotten about FNG & Grenade inspectors! lol

trollst, Rickybop and stillrunners like this.
  2. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I had a specific question, so I joined right away. That was Christmas Eve, 2018. Seems like 10 years ago.

stillrunners likes this.
  3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I probably lurked around for a few days while browsing around the site then I joined- June 7, 2016. Became an Alliance member a couple of years ago

4. Funny you should mention that.....on one of my other car boards the guy mentioned the HAMB - just like yesterday.

5. Funny you mention this....old guys and thicker layers.........

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL... Grenade inspector...
    Forgot about that, too... LOL.

Lurk? I don't think I realized that was a thing. I jumped right in.
    I was like...
    "Hi guys!" Hi! Hi! Hi!..." and talking about how hot rods are like hot rods to me.

"That basetball... it was like a basetball to me. I'd sleep with that basetball under my pillow..."

Some asshole with tattoos hit me.
    I hit him back.
    Then 3 more guys with tattoos started pounding on me.
    Then to my amazement, 8 guys in white overalls and crewcuts jumped on them.

But we all got our asses kicked, cuz we were all wearing SUNGLASSES AFTER DARK and there wasn't a one of us that could see.

clunker and williebill like this.
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

It probably took 6 months to get ready for the hazing. But luckily @trailer-Ed joined at the same time I did under a slightly different username that provided great fun for the other members (and cover for me) so I didn't get much of the abuse. That will be 18 years ago this coming Saturday...man does time fly!

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

didn't take me long once I realized I could find an answer for every single question I had.....it still kills me how you can post a pic of some oddball part and almost instantly someone will post back what it is and what it came from....

302GMC and 56don like this.
  9. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I joined THEN lurked.

Chappy444 and beegator like this.
  10. dwollam

dwollam

I joined in 2012 minutes after finding this site. Had been on Ford Barn for a year before that. I have a lot of different cars, both stock and hot rodded. Love the traditional stuff and that is my main path right now.

Dave

11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

So far, I never lurked. I joined as soon as I found it.
    I read a lot of the comments and thought to myself, Self! These guys are knowledgable and fucking rude and I want in.
    Glad I did.

fourspd2quad likes this.
  12. I've lurked here for many years. I never thought I had anything to contribute. The knowledge level here is top notch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. About 2 minutes. I knew I belonged here right off. Joined the Alliance a few days later, and every year there after.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm probably a contender for the "Longest Lurker Award"...15+ years !
    I was a member of Bill B's Early Ford V8 forum for years and became a "forum addict"...spending WAY TOO MUCH time on it. I weened myself off, and swore off forums for good.
    THEN, while lurking last summer in the classifieds, I came across @Hamtown Al and his '36 Ford Cabriolet. A few phone calls later, we did a "straight across" trade for my '32 Sedan Delivery. Al started a thread about our trade, and I joined the HAMB to participate

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...efinitely-changing-for-me-and-others.1162903/

Now, here I am, addicted to another fucking forum...and spending WAY TOO MUCH time on it again.:eek: No wonder I never get anything done.

15. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I think I lurked for a couple months and when I bought my Model A project and a pile of flathead parts I joined, that was almost 16 years ago.....

Man i’m getting old.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Took me about six months, the friend that told me about it never did join because he didn't want to take the beating that all the "FNG" had to take back then. I wish I'd signed up sooner, then I'd be in the first 1000 instead of 1001!:D

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 10 minutes. I was given the information about this website from a friend. The friend said that there was a great classified section and I was looking for a project at the time.

I joined to be able to PM the owner and bought the car. That was in 2013, I think, and I've since hung around.

18. p1yotaboy

p1yotaboy

I lurked for years getting bits of knowledge. I had other ot interest at that time and didn’t feel I could be enough to matter as a member. Although I’m on here almost daily now I still lurk and mostly keep my mouth shut and sit back and learn rather than try to teach my teachers. I treat this site a lot like I did my dad uncles and grandpas growing up, I speak when spoken to and take a lot more knowledge away than I could ever give back. Not another place like this one that I’ve found and very thankful for this hot rod sanctuary.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

trollst likes this.
  19. fleetside66

fleetside66

Maybe about a year, maybe because I thought I was not worthy...plus that Germ guy scared me.

loudbang and fourspd2quad like this.
  20. Deuces

Deuces

Me? Probably about 2 years..... :(:rolleyes:

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't know HOW long, but it was (apparently) TOO long. when i finally joined, boy did i get a razzing!

22. Brutal is putting it mildly. I was ready to pull the trigger when some shit for brains joined and proceeded to shoot his mouth off. Germ and a few of the GMB handed him a new asshole, big time! I backed off and finally joined and HRLC (Hot Rod Lady Cruiser), Denise, gave me a warm welcome. The rest is history, great history. Can't say enough about friends I made and things I have and still am learning. :cool::D:)

Deuces likes this.
  23. I joined when I found the answer to a question I had. But I lurked for a good long while, just reading, watching and getting a feel for the place. Bought a couple of things from the classifieds, then started posting, asking questions, and trying to answer questions... And a bit of comic relief from time to time.
    One thing I do know, I have driven with my elbow out the window longer than I have been a member here.....
    Chappy

Deuces likes this.
  24. No lurking here... I joined after a buddy told me about it.

Deuces likes this.
  25. Bob K told me about the HAMB in 2001, didn't get a computer until 2003, then lurked until 2006 before signing up. Hard to believe it's been 14 years already and miss ya Bob.

Deuces likes this.
  26. adam401

adam401

I thought I had joined earlier than I did but forgot my user name and stuff. Also I was on ruffrodders back then and thought the HAMB was for old lame boy scouts But alot of that was based on second hand shit and once I started spending time here I never left.

Its funny this place and online hot rod community has changed A lot. Less raw for sure. Sometimes I read threads on here and lament that hot rodding is turning into a bunch of over cautious pussies. Partially true? A positive change is that the level of craftsmanship seen in build threads here and instagram is at a crazy high level.
    The hamb has definitely played a huge role in my life and I'm thankful for that. I feel like ive been on here forever. So no need to lurk, Lets all enjoy the kinder gentler HAMB.

Btw im going to start saying and using the term rat rod again. Fight me.

loudbang likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

I can't answer that, I'm still lurking!! But, really, springtime, Monday morning and THIS is what we're talking about??

28. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just bumping this back up one time for those that may have missed it.

29. 392

When I found it.

30. Jumped right in, got flambé a couple of times lol.
    Anyone get motherfuckered in a pm? That's a hoot!