Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Is anyone missing their favorite car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Jun 17, 2020.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Goodguys in Des Moines is on as well as the 40th KKOA show in Salina. Then there`s the Custom Car Revival in Indy which is moved to August. My usual go to shows. Last weekend I drove 180 miles one way just to attend my first show of the year. Had 200 cars. Had to go as it was the only one I knew about.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Rick Coast

Rick Coast

. Hi Johnny , Rick here , real bummer missing the events.Is the event in Colorado Springs pike peak race track going in sept?

j3harleys likes this.
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

Hey Rick it's been awhile. I got an Email yesterday from PPIR they said it's a go. August 28-30. It has turned out to be one off the best shows I go to. Hope you come down.

pprather and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my favorite car show is Paso Robles.

The37Kid likes this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-6-20_5-2-53.png snap photo
    A part of the main Avenida Del Mar downtown street.

Hello,

Today would have been the 25th annual San Clemente Car Show, on Avenida Del Mar in downtown San Clemente. When it started 24 years ago, it was on Father’s Day. That was very cool as we did not have to drive inland to see a car show on Father’s Day. The short drive down the coast to San Clemente and the great beach was worth it. It was only a block long car show and it was outstanding. There were mostly local residents as a lot of the hot rod enthusiasts traveled inland almost 60 miles to see the “big” roadster show.

upload_2020-6-20_5-4-33.png

Over the years, the big push was to move the Father’s Day Show from Sunday to Saturday. That was the idea to spend Father’s Day with the family on Sunday. Then, the people that go to the Pomona show could still participate in one of the nicest beach side cars shows in So Cal. It worked, as more people attended the following year's Saturday event and has grown to include a second closed off block to have more cars in the show. Now, it is almost ½ mile long street with cars on both sides. It is only an oddball block to the pier and ocean.

Many people made it an all day event as the ocean is a nice walk away. Most of the time is it warm and sunny. There have been several rainy/misty days of the event. The show still went on with people arriving and the owners breaking out the drying towels.

Jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fathers-day-shows.1152949/#post-13115762

It has been rescheduled for next June 2021. But, we still miss this small town car show for it cool cars, great shopping and town. Plus, the drive/walk down to the pier offers a ton of things to do and see. What about the weather? This year, so far this week, it is misty in the morning, overcast most of the day, the winds blow the fog away and it is rather nice along the coast. So, if the car show did happen, it would be a typical June coastal day. “June Gloom?” Possibly, a good description, but, the pandemic has cancelled the car show for another year.

If the car show had been approved (hard to imagine) everyone would have to wear masks during the whole event. But, given time, hopefully, at this time next year, we can walk around safely and enjoy one of the best all around car show events in So Cal.
    upload_2020-6-20_5-9-11.png
    A snap photo

[​IMG]
    Do I see this cool Suburban sitting on the right side of the street in the car show drone photo? If it is, it is parked in front of one of the most fun stores in this downtown area. The shop is a converted historic old home from the early days of the city. It is called the "Ole Hanson" (SC founding father...) style of build, typical of the old homes in the whole area.

chryslerfan55 and exterminator like this.
  6. Nope.

I’m sure I’m in a deep, deep minority here, but I don’t really like car shows. For me, this hobby isn’t a social activity. I like messing with old cars and motorcycles because it interests me. I just like old stuff. It’s always been that way for me. My friends and family all have other interests, not a single one of them owns a motorcycle or an old ride. Not even close.

In fact, I actually dig the lock down, (except for being broke part). I’ve gotten to be with my family every day instead of working non-stop. Lots of time with my kids. Time working on cars, bikes and house projects for ME, not customers, not anyone else. Nice big blocks of time instead of the stolen moments I usually get. In fact, I told my wife that if I would ever win the lottery, my life would pretty much look exactly like this. No yachts or mansions, just this.

That’s ended though, back to work this week. 16 hr days. No sign of slowing down. Back to it.

I am sad for the people that died and others who are financially wrecked. Luckily we’re starting to get back to work, things are opening and hopefully things like car shows and social gatherings will kick in soon, I know that stuff is meaningful to a lot of people, makes em happy. Hopefully, it will get better for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Missed Blue Suede in Tupelo this year, usually that weekend is my "vacation" for the year. The once a month cruise in we usually go to hasn't happened either, but some of the club members have been getting together and going places. I'm not a member, so I wasn't invited.:( None of the other small town festivals have went on, some we went to every year, some every few years. Lots of money lost by these events not going on, a lot of them were charity events, so everyone dependent on them suffers.

8. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

I also missed them. OUCH it Hurts

9. 31 5w

31 5w

We have a bunch of guys get together @ an old Hospital parking lot here in Eustis Fl. Have been doing for ~9 Yrs. Just starting to have 15-25 cars, used to have 50-60. Miss seeing some of old buddies!

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Thankfully one of my favorite shows is going on as planned ( our car club is providing the pasta for a spaghetti dinner that Friday) it’s usually about 50-80 cars max. Less than a hundred people show up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

So far the Salina KKOA is on.

j3harleys and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Now that you ask, Yes I am missing all the events that would be taking place by now.
    Worst year ever, and more than just the stupid virus
    KK

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Usually make a couple of long runs every summer. This year we chose Raleigh in April
    (postponed) and Pueblo the end of June along with a few others a days drive away.
    Frog Follies postponed and today we decided to blow off Louisville this year and cancelled our rooms. We’ll see how things look in September and October and maybe can make the run to Kalamazoo or down to Quincy. I’ll miss the driving and meeting up with many of the friends I’ve made here on the HAMB and enjoying the company of the group we run with.
    Hoping the future gets a little brighter.:cool:

hotrodjack33 and pprather like this.
  14. j3harleys

j3harleys

Sorry I should have said what show were talking about. Its Hot Rod Rock and Rumble at Pikes Peak International Raceway, A few miles south of Colorado Springs. It's a great show, 1/8 mile Drag racing all day, Just get in line and race no classes very few rules. I think last year there was over 800 cars in the show, bands and dancing girls all day, they have camp sights also. If your with in driving range it's a good time.

e1956v likes this.
  15. 392

I do but different times equal different vibes. Like age. Everything comes full circle.

16. primed34

primed34

Just to show how times have changed. In 1973 I made every hot rod run in Tennessee. All three of them. The Street Machine Nationals in Memphis, the Rock City Rod Roundup in Chattanooga, and the best by far the Mid South Rod Roundup in Gatlinburg.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Last year was my 50th in a row at Hershey, and third time out at Car Week in Monterey, I'm going to miss both of them a lot. We won a lottery on the room for 2020, and will be able to keep it for 2021 so it wasn't a total loss. I'm going to miss seeing a lot of people I only see once a year, I'm living on memories of past shows to get me through 2020. Bob

ct1932ford likes this.
  18. I used to get excited to go to car stuff. I'd stay to get my money's worth and try to make the most of it. Then I realized that the excitement wears off quickly due to overload. I finally figured out that a couple hours tops was enough, so why bother unless it's close-by and cheap? I'd rather see one or two old cars out or driving versus hundreds at a show or races.

I'm more introverted, which means it takes energy to be around more than a few people, whereas more extraverted people get energy from being around other people. I've enjoyed the slow pace and freedom of *not having as much freedom.

I'm not working another long hours job. "Wake up, eat, work, sleep- leaves me incomplete."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    clunker and Sonofabob like this.
  19. Is anyone missing their favorite car show?

Yup! All 35 of them...

MO_JUNK and Lil32 like this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Well I don’t know about favorite but this weekend we were supposed to be outside Regina Saskatchewan At the hot rod hijinx. It would have been my first time to Canada. What better way to travel to a new country than in a hot rod. I guess there’s always next year.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are a half dozen local swap meets & shows I'll miss. Hershey and Car Week in Monterey are the two big ones I'm really going to miss. Hope things change for the better in 2021, hope to get to the GNRS again. Bob

22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes I miss the shows and also No. The 2 shows I coordinate were cancelled so it really made my summer a lot less hectic and stressful. And although I had the Cabriolet (marginally) ready to go in May for the season, with nowhere to go, I had time to blow it back apart, fix a few things and paint it.:D

23. jaxx

jaxx

Shut down Hot August Night - and most all of the smaller local gatherings - but we didn't shut Walmart ????? well I guess we will have to start having our car shows at Walmart !! - just a thought _ Jaxx

The37Kid likes this.
  24. The37Kid

The37Kid

We stop there for lunch on the way to Monterey, looks like a good town for a car show. Bob

49ratfink likes this.
  25. exterminator

exterminator

jnaki likes this.
  26. exterminator

exterminator

We like that area might have to go to it next year.

jnaki likes this.
  27. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess that's a legitimate question, considering my last 4 hot rods were (semi) flat black... to give the impression that they were just primered :eek:

I just shot the Cabriolet in John Deere (Valspar) Blitz Black and is going back together as we speak.:D

3 weeks ago, disassembly and LOTS of sanding... 100_4888.jpg

sgtlethargic likes this.
  28. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Did you delete my reply ?

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw it while it was here, and it was probably TOO political:( It was absolutely CORRECT...just too political;)

The37Kid likes this.
  30. I thought your avatar picture was dark gray primer.