Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cord 810 racing on Saltflats / Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldbanger71, Jun 15, 2020.

1. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

Hey guys, i stumbled latley over this pic and was wondering if any of you have more information to this pic that appeared in the Hot Rod magazine.
    I know that Don Montgomery has raced his Cord in the class B Sedan Record at 137.509 mph at Russetta 1952, but i'm not so sure if this is the same car.
    Maybe it is Ab Jenkins record drive just days after Cord Company has folded.
    I would be most happy to see more information that you have about Cord 810 / 812 on Racetracks or Saltflat and pic's.

Happy Motoring , Oldbanger71 Bildschirmfoto 2020-06-15 um 21.01.56.png

2. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Based on the cars in the background it is definitely post war. Most likely Don’s car. In his books there is also a Cord run by one of his buddies, which I’m guessing is also the same car. The car had several different engines. Buick 8 and a GMC with 12 port head.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. Agree with 31A, the pic shows an early 50's car in the background......Don Montgomery gets my vote also.

5. Too bad Don is no longer with us, he was a member here.

Sue Ellingson and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. SR100

SR100

Don bought the Cord from Tom 'Acmo' McLoughlin. The photo is from a June 1950 Hot Rod story on the April 22-3 1950 El Mirage meet. Don ran his Hudson through 1951. Here's the 1st page of the story from the lakes-pictures-p-r-c.943878 thread (Cord pic is at the bottom): [​IMG]

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jet96, Lil'Alb, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  8. oldbanger71

oldbanger71

@ SR100 and Marty Strode and all others, Thank you bringing light and precious Pics into my question.
    Does somebody have pic's of Ab jenkins driving a Cord 810/812 on some tracks, Saltflat etc. ?

9. So, based on that last pic, I'm guessing that the Cord was converted to rear wheel drive?

10. More pics of Don @Rockerhead Montgomery's '37 Cord 810:

Don Montgomery - ’37 Cord sedan (1).jpg
    Don Montgomery - ’37 Cord sedan (2).jpg
    Don Montgomery - ’37 Cord sedan (3).jpg
    Don Montgomery - ’37 Cord sedan (4).jpg
    images from the American Hot Rod Foundation archives

(9901_05) Don Rockerhead Montgomery - Rodder Engine.jpg
    image from Gray Baskerville's circa 1999 HOT ROD Magazine article about Don

Don Montgomery Cord at Pomona - 1952 (David Sorenson archives).jpg
    A rare color photo of Don's Cord at Pomona in 1952 (from @296ardun's archives)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. Sue Ellingson

Sue Ellingson
    from Reno, NV

I came upon this when I did some searching for my Dad (Don Montgomery). It's so touching to know that he may be gone, but not forgotten. I love reading these stories.
    Since these photos were before my time, I asked my Mom about them. She thought that his Cord did have the number 20 at one time. Not positive though - it's been a while.
    On a side note - I have a lot of fond memories of Acmo. He was an unofficial uncle to us kids.

deucemac, Lil'Alb, uncle buck and 5 others like this.
  12. rusty valley

rusty valley

thanks for the visit! stop by again, any old photos to share? Don is not forgotten around here, best wishes

Sue Ellingson likes this.
  13. Sue Ellingson

Sue Ellingson
    from Reno, NV

Thanks! I've been going through old photos, but they're mostly family pics. If I come across any of his racing or car show days, I'll be sure to share them.

14. rusty valley

rusty valley

thanks, that would be terrific! i want to add, this site as you perhaps know is focused on old school hotrods back to its roots when the pioneers like your dad were experimenting with the ideas that many folks still are practicing today. its an honor to have you check in, your dad and his books have done so much to keep the movement alive!

Sue Ellingson likes this.
  15. Sue, Hi, your Dads last Cord, he bought from me, is it still in your family? It was yellow and he redid it maroon. It was a Custom Beverly LWB. Thanks for answering. John WIlliamson [email protected]

harpo1313 likes this.