Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 ford closed hood with small Hemi ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by draggin49, Jun 19, 2020.

1. draggin49

draggin49

i was wondering if anyone knew if one of the smaller size hemi’s could be run with a stock closed hood with no modifications on a 32 Ford ?

The37Kid likes this.
  2. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Here is a post I found.That answer your question?
    Before you start cutting,.. Measure a 241-270-315-325 Dodge Hemi, they are the smallest. They are between 90-120 lbs lighter and 2" shorter & 2" narrower than 55' up Chryslers. I've seen lots of them in 32 Fords with NO cutting. There are a few more speed parts available of the little Dodge Hemi than for DeSoto's. The 51' 331 has an extended bellhousing, the back end takes up more space compared to the rest of the Hemi's. Maybe you should look, measure & think a while longer before you start cutting to make it fit. Exhaust all other options before you use the "Blue wrench". Good Luck!

draggin49 likes this.
  3. Dak Rat

Dak Rat
    from NoDak

I put a '55 Red Ram 270" in my '32 roadster. Stock frame, used a wilcap adaptor to '39 trans. Did not have to cut the firewall or the toe boards. No way is a stock hood going to clear the front of the valve covers/heads. I would love to see a how someone got one shoe horned into a '32 with a stock hood!

4. Ain't gonna happen.

5. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

A club member has a 32 with a Hemi , Blisters added to the hood sides for valve cover clearance 207.JPG

mgtstumpy and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. upload_2020-6-19_6-39-24.jpeg

Pretty certain this car has a Red Ram in it.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@draggin49

The 241/ 270 are a bit narrower than 315/325 due a lower deck height of the block. It isn’t much difference, and may not matter, but it is a fact.

Ray

8. agshelby

agshelby

Looking at my car (32 with a 270) I think that you will need about a 2" bubble on each side to clear the front of the head and the valve cover.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My friend has a '32 with a Desoto in it using a K member and a 39 transmission, so it's location is based on that. Firewall isn't cut but an unmodified hood won't fit. If you scootched the motor back a few inches the hood would probably fit, but then you'd be modifying the firewall and crossmembers....

Andy likes this.
  10. Andy

Andy

I have a 241 Red Ram in my 32. I usually run without hood sides but the sides required blisters.

11. 6sally6

6sally6

I can't imagine ANYBODY would build and install ANY kind of Hemi engine.........
    and then want to cover it up inside a closed up hood! My goodness that's the whole idea behind putting a Hemi in anything........to show it off!..........(think Speedos:eek::D)
    If you want to run the sides on your hood, you may as well stick a SBF in it or (heaven-forbid) another Shivel-lay engine.
    Just say'in,
    6sally6

Tman, Desoto291Hemi and draggin49 like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

This one had a Desoto, wouldn't have needed blisters to clear the covers. Blue 3w coupe Hardtop #18.jpg

13. I beg to differ.

Just Gary and The37Kid like this.
  14. Garpo

Garpo

How about something completely different??

Toyota in T.jpg
    Before anyone busts their brain guessing--
    This is an all ally V8 from a Toyota Century. All polishes up nicely, and hardly anything on it to identify what it is..
    And yes, that hood does close.

mgtstumpy and draggin49 like this.
  15. draggin49

draggin49

Haha I couldn’t agree more . My younger brothers idea to run closed hood . I told him the same thing . Some siblings just won’t take advice lol

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  16. Richard Head

Richard Head

I installed a dodge 270 in a 32 3 window. If you flatten the firewall, you can slide the engine back enough to not need blisters on the hood sides. In fact, I believe it was less work than putting a small block ford in one.

Dave

stillrunners, draggin49 and pprather like this.
  17. They can peek out a little.
    fullsizeoutput_1af.jpeg

A Boner, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  18. I’m with 6Sally6 .

Tommy

draggin49 and j hansen like this.
  19. draggin49

draggin49

Does a 350 Chevy or 283 Chevy fit with fully enclosed hood ?
    Those were a few other engine options he had considered but wasn’t sure on if they work size wise

20. Serious question? How many hot rod deuces are out there with SBC's and hoods?
    If you want to cut nothing, the firewall to radiator is more of a concern. The deuce firewall (or dash as Ford called it) kicks forward at the bottom, this would be your only issue.

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Flatten the firewall and a SBC fits

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

desoto low deck.jpg
    Desoto low deck

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. draggin49

draggin49

Thanks guys I will tell him to alter the firewall to get that better fitment

24. Andy

Andy

I would not loose foot room just to avoid using blisters. Look at Dick Smith’s roadster at the Ford Museum. The hemi sticks out.

HemiDeuce and Just Gary like this.
  25. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Thats a neat trick, probably decent power too

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

While it wasn't a Hemi I built a deuce roadster with a 348 and because of the headers I had to use blisters. I bought plain Roorlieb hood sides and the blisters from So-Cal and installed the blisters then louvered what was left of the hood sides. I thought it turned out nice.

Balljoint and The37Kid like this.
  27. The37Kid

The37Kid

My 7 year old Grandson can remove hood sides, not a skill level an adult should brag about. Fitting or hammering out bubbles is a classy way to build a car. Bob

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  28. I made this blister either side of a Rootlieb hood for clearance issues. (not a hemi)
    P1090453 (Medium) (2).jpeg

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  29. Dee Simmons

Dee Simmons

Why would you want to cover up the Hemi? I have a Desoto 276 in my coupe and hood sides are now garage wall art.
    Good luck