Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flake is down...but have questions...take a look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopped50Ford, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Got bored w/ the one color flake look so I decided to put another color of flake down to liven it up. Its subtle, but makes a nice look. The blue is a 'House of Kolor" large prism style flake.

I also taped out the scallops for the hood and trunk...but not sure if I like it.

Ideas would be great.

Im thinking I should go thinner w/ the scallops or should I leave it alone w/ the striping and side trim.

Here are my questions:

I sprayed the flake, and the clear is built up pretty high. I still need to put the final coats of clear (no flake) to blend in the whole batch. The edges on the blue flake are rough and I would like to color sand them down to help the overall blending flow w/ no ridges or humps in the clear. Can this be done? Will it affect the metal flake in the clear? Some of the flake is poking upward in the paint. Will color sanding distort it?

Also, what size tip should you use to spray this out?...Im using a 1.7 and it seems like more clear comes out than flake...thus the reason for the high build. What I did was blow air back into my gravity feed canister before each spray to let more flake out at one time.

Any help would be suggested...and Ideas too.

Oh, should I pinstripe the flake on the top? or leave it alone?

Well enough...here are my picts.

Attached Files:

2. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Top looks good :cool:

I'd make the spears of the scallops thinner at the base area, and split the scallops on the rear to match the front, length looks good - but thats just my opinion.

What color are you thinking for the scallops?

3. I was thinking thinner too....

I was looking at a silver base w/ the silver and blue flake on top.

4. Big Tony

Big Tony

Top looks kewl and the only one who needs to dig it is you. Dare to be different.

5. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

Whoo hoo chopped50ford. I cant wait till you get your hands on my shit.

6. 1SWANK1

1SWANK1

Be careful sanding on the flaked portions.You said some were standing up.If you sand down to the flake it will take the color off leaving a bright ass silver flake .it will stand out like a sore thumb.Without knowing how much clear you've got on it ,try scuffing it with a scothbrite,reclear,then wetsand.Only going from experience as my T-bird has red flake with a few bright silver spots where I sanded through.OOPS!!

7. I would like to see this in sunlight. I'm sure it looks quite different then.

That's tape on the hood? Scallops might be one thing too much. Get the roof where you want it first.

8. Bazooka

Bazooka

I think better without scallops...top looks real good

9. so far, so good,

Im liking the input

10. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I'd 86 the scallops....and do NOT sand that flake! Like mentioned above, the color will sand righ toff leaving silver behind. You have to make sure the clear is built up high enough over the flake to cover it for sanding. DId you spray it in regular clear, or intercoat? I've heard of guys using a gloved hand or a tack cloth to rub over the flake to make it lie down, but that was when intercoat clear was used.
    If it's regular clear you'd better get more coats down before your recoat window is through, then you'll have a helluva time scuffing it without fucking up the flake color!

11. naki kid

naki kid

What i found when spraying flake was to let it dry between coats and using air, blow the car down and your hand to flatten the flake this is if you are using acrylic lacquar if using 2 pot I found that you have to build it up with clear and sand it back when dry.I did my own car this way.P.S. I have been spraying flake since the late 60s.

Attached Files:

12. I used a standard clear coat. I did not over build the blue scallops/flake becuase I didnt want it to get too high before I put down the last coat. Plus I had to remove the tape lines in the blue flake so I didnt want to bury it deep. Also, the "yahoo" who originally sprayed the roof, did not cover the flake enough (which is silver) so some of it is sticking out.

The edges of the blue flake scallops design are somewhat rough and I would like to knock/blend it down a bit before the final coat. Will the final top layer of clear conceal the rough edges? If so, Ill build up the final coats and color sand/buff.

Thanks again.

13. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

just my .2. i would probably loose the scallops. the top is bitchen! love the color of the flake. would love to see that thing in the sun.

_T

14. lonely king

lonely king

Hey Norm,cars Looking Good,,i Would Lose The Scallops Too..

15. RF

RF

It looks like your silver base tiger-striped pretty good in the middle...or is that just the good-old Inland smog reflecting? Adding solid/hard lines (pinstriping and/or additional color breaks) helps hide that.

16. Gumpa

Gumpa

I really dig your Pilot. Good to see that you have an in house critic. Gumpa

17. 52merc

52merc
    BANNED

hey norm looks good i want my top to look the same so hurry up

18. get off the chair and get the paint we need. Just killing time :)

As for the pilot, yep...she is involved in it all w/ me. She loves them as much as I do. Im grateful. :)

19. RF that's the Smog :eek:

20. I dunno, the top looks dead to me. If I did a flake job, I'd want that bitch to be jacked up sparkly, but for sure get rid of the scallops. The stripe job on the lower 1/2 of the car is enough going on, and it'd be cleaner looking.

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I've nver been a fan of wide scallops (and at one time in the past, scallops were used to define body lines)...but if you're insistent, add a line or two inside the ones you've laid out and paint them a different color...use a bit of imagination and make it your own...

R-

22. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

FWIW I use a 2.2 tip for flake. I think they suggest a 1.8 or larger. There are also thinners that will help the flake lay flatter and help keep the flake from standing up. Just a thought for the next job.

Nick

23. thanks for the tip information. I will have to try to find one. :)

24. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

From this angle it looks real good. Nature tells me to stay as far from a spray gun as possible. I'd like to get the roof of my 60 brookwood wagon flaked someday.

25. naki kid

naki kid

Lightly sand the edges with fine paper don,t worry about going through then mask of inside and outside of the scallops & spray a contrasting colour then run a pinstripe around the edges.It will break the size of the scallops and give it a finished look.The roof give it a light sand and then more clear,it should do the trick.then sand the whole lot down & buff.