Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fiberglass repair advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Corn Fed, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Reading comprehension is low here at times.

chickenridgerods likes this.
  2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And yet without any repair on top it probably won't last 100 miles. I'll stand by the right way to fix it, even if "finishing" means a just coat of primer. I know what he said but I'll take this as cue to just fuck off from this topic. And no I'm not offended, upset, butthurt, or the like.

And to the above, comprehension? Maybe the "No it won't work" wasn't comprehended when I offered an opinion but thanks for playing...;)

BJR likes this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Highlander,
    I agree. If you don't work on the topside, the crack will work as a stress raiser. I'd give it 110 miles.

And, my reading comprehension is a bit above average.

BJR and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  4. killbilly

killbilly

Chris and Jeff....you guys going to Goodguys this year?we met with some of the Hamb guys last year..

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yes, we are going. Are you gonna make it again? Staying at Steven's place?

If I get the coupe together enough to take it, we'll find out if the fender lasts more than 110 miles!

6. BJR

BJR

Brush both sides of the rip with fiberglas resin and clamp it. When it is hard grind the back side and lay in some woven cloth with more resin. With the rip glued together with the resin and the cloth backer it should be strong enough to last a long time.

seb fontana and Tman like this.
  7. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Grind it real good in v shape screw it to some small peices of wood to hold the shape and position you want and use polyester resin and Matt and glass over screws and everything. When it cures dremels out screw head and release it will hold perfect shape. Then grind back side and add a layer to that and let cure. It will be a sturdy repair then grind down and do body work with mar glass and body filler. Glue and epoxy will fail fiberglass is so easy to do. Mix resin. Brush lay and roll.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. alchemy

alchemy

We sure are glad Gbones lent us his advice, we were in a real holding pattern. Just couldn't decide what to do.........

Actually, we glued it with one of those two-part repair kits (I forget which brand) up in the crack, then after that cured we ground the backside to a V and laid in resin and matt. We did absolutely nothing to the topside, exactly like we indented to do. Since most all events were shut down last summer the car has only travelled about 120 miles, but I'd say that's ten more miles than some of you guys said it would last. ;)

theHIGHLANDER and stanlow69 like this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

1) get the fender to fit back together, need that seam to fit tightly, that alone may screw up the paint.
    2) figure out how to bolt it down, or clamp it in place to something for a tight seam.
    3) activated resin in the crack clamp it up tight, lay mat or bonding strip on the backside

If it holds shape. You may get away with not finishing the outside now, but you should, its going to be jagged and will start breaking down.
    Go ahead and lay a strip of mat on the outside.
    Another repair method is aluminum strip on the backside across the crack and recessed rivets. Glass over all of it. When the glass was layed its overlapping pattern gives strength, youve lost that, even with mat layed over the repair.

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

There is no need to offer more advice on repairing this fender. As Alchemy said, we fixed it last summer. If the fix doesnt last, I will replace the whole fender with a steel one.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm not sure if this stuff is still available but when I was working at a GM dealership about 40 years ago, they had a body shop. They would do Corvette repairs with this black tar like stuff that had two components in quart cans with a genuine GM part number. I would borrow it from the parts department and patch things. It worked great.

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you don't live near Detroit. Our roads have holes big enough for people to live in:eek:

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the real question is "did Corn Fed ever get it fixed since the middle of last summer"? No slap in the face to have a bit of primer on a repair on a long driven car with old paint though. Some even see it as a badge of honor to have it.
    [​IMG]

Turnipseed likes this.
  14. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Should work. I would definitely glass the underside with a couple layers of matt.

15. alchemy

alchemy

IMG_3093.JPG

Yeah it got done. Only low speed cruising so far, no high speed 1/4's yet.

guthriesmith likes this.