Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How many cars are too many

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodrhp, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Believe it or not - in my early years - I did have a 5 car figure I wanted to keep out of maybe a dozen or so that were currently in stock. About 1989 I thought I would be moving out of state so I had a fire sale and don't really remember what I had left - the Studie truck, my Val convert and the Cuda convert fer sure. Since then - didn't move after all - I've always had a little over two dozen and close to 35 now. Some I buy to fix up and turn/sale to support my habit and some are just to nice for the money to pass up. I think I'll change my avatar to the 40 sedan.

chevy57dude and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. I just sold my coupe, so I am down to one. At 73 it is time. Now I can concentrate on my roadster and do things I have been putting off. I still have lots of automobila that I will start selling at some point. Not to say if the right car/project came along I would not buy it.:rolleyes: For now, one car works just fine for me to enjoy!

3. You need a car for each mood maybe 4, Racer, Lover, Cruiser, Fighter/placeholder at the curb in your neighborhood.
    Or, Roadster, Tub, Sedan, and coupe. Who's counting?

chevy57dude and stillrunners like this.
  4. One is enough for me. Only have room for one inside, and between the house projects, boat projects, and yard and garden, I am busy enough without more stuff clamoring for attention...

scotty t and ct1932ford like this.
  5. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now I have three on the road and one project; I have come to the conclusion that is one too many. I can only fit three in the garage out of the weather and still have room to work. Now to decide which one I can bear to part with...

6. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

To many running driving cars, as long as you can keep them in out of the elements. No you can’t have to many.
    To many project cars, yes you can have to many.

Now buying a truck so you don’t scratch the other truck. That might be a problem. But if you have the means.

7. "one is too many , and a thousand is never enough"

Elcohaulic likes this.
  8. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

My wife and I each have an OT daily driver. Plus 2 is the number for me. A 29 hotrod driver and a 56 vette custom project.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

75 to 80 feels about right to me!

Bones

stillrunners likes this.
  10. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This appears to be perfect timing. I have a 27 T coupe that I am working on. I have not had a car on the road for 29 years. I have my 33 5 window scrapper and a 34 5 window along with a 53 Chevy business coupe a 54 Pontiac project a couple 35 truck cabs and a 34 truck and a 32 truck. I need to get rid of about 5/6 and I will start with the 34 5 window. I will find someone to take and post pictures to list it here first. I am too old to ever finish more than 1. So I may as well start this month

partsdawg likes this.
  11. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Different cars for different moods. If I take the wife or grand kids out it's the non Hamb friendly 66 Mustang convertible. If I want to merely cruise locally I take the AV8 roadster. The 34 is my go to ride when I want to blow off steam and sort of relive my wilder youth. Some how I prefer the roadster for mere fun and enjoyment.
    By the way are any of your rides actually really "done"
    Still thinking I need another car or truck! Need something else to work on!

12. Totally agree. '72 BBC 4 speed el is my son's car-almost. He's a great kid, at 18 he has a little more to go before it's all his. He loves driving it. His pals are in awe.

swade41, Elcohaulic and scotty t like this.
  13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guess I’m getting old, sold my 32, down to one my 31. 360CD78A-D71F-44C6-A1A5-FCCBBB7A2DD4.jpeg

14. exterminator

exterminator

I have had well over 50 old cars thruout my life. But now I am down to one running truck ( avatar) and one yard art. Just sold my Plymouth conv so my wife and I can get a new transportation car. Since living on social security for the last 6 years - not counting my wife's retirement which does not in any way go towards my hobby means I car only. I can only drive one car at a time anyway. Exterminator

redoxide likes this.
  15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Dad always said they're like bewbs. Ones not enough and three is too many...

16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

2 more than I have at any given time

17. 7 cars ( 2 actually running/driving) newest is 1970
    7 motobikes
    7 mopeds.
    Guess my lucky number is 7 (okay and a Ford 8N tractor with V8 flathead)

Hennie

18. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

4 mercurys.
    1 Buick
    2 Chevrolet.
    My wife has 2 Chevrolet and one Mercury.
    Sold our two pontiacs, 59 and 64.
    Just recently thinking we should bought nice 62 Bonneville, cause i think we should have attleast one big ole Pontiac on House.....

19. D.S.327

D.S.327

Hey, I sent you a direct message about the 34 you're selling, but I wanted to make sure you get my message. I can be reached by email: [email protected]. Thanks!

20. 50Fraud

50Fraud

A few years ago, I had three hot rods and a daily driver. THAT was too many.

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friend has a 34 coupe, 28 Tudor and 28 roadster. The roadster hasn't run in years and sits on his hoist, the tudor is a fresh build however isn't driven at all as he's too much of a PITA to get it running properly. All he really has to drive is the coupe, it's the only one that actually runs and drives apart from his daily driver.
    upload_2020-7-14_9-0-51.png

22. redoxide

redoxide

I was up to 6, decided that It was getting harder to store them and spread the cost to work on them all . So despite having plans, I recently bit the bullet and sold my stock Model A coupe . Nice enough genuine car that was a good driver .. Took about 6 months for someone to pick up on the add . Car sold and I moved on, Funny thing is I didnt really flinch .. despite how much I liked that car . Erlier I had advertised my 29 coupe project, more or less just the bits to nail a tad style car together but at a reasonable price . I kinda had forgot I had the add running , Out of the blue I got some interest and the fellas plans sounded just like what I had planned for the car .. fully fendered 4 inch chop and flathead running gear .. We agreed a price, I chopped the top and assembled it to rolling stage, just waiting for that to be collected now , Another current project is a 30 coupe , just finnishing that one up, pretty much doing the service items now.. Bearings and hoses and thats off to my buddy com september ..

That leaves me with my 31 coupe Flathead V8 and trad runing gear and the most recent purchase , a basket case 28 roadster .. and an original 32 chassis. I have enough flathead V8 parts to build that car and keep the coupe on the road for the foreseeable .. but I dont have enough money to build them all and considered it wastefull to hold them back from other folk. So with the cash from sales I reinvested in some brookville repair panels and a set of firestones for the roadster , a NOS ( ex halibrand) Flathead V8 and some other old ford junk that will replenish some of the parts going out .. BUT thats me down to 2 cars ( and a vintage VW Camper)

Now I have tons os work space , one completed driver hot rod one project hot rod and a wedge of spare cash I wont feel guilty spending on either .. Its only taken me 40 years to gt this organised and it feels really liberating .. plus there will be 3 more guys out there with cars that were previously hidden in my shed :)

So my guess for the ideal number of project cars for me is 2...any more and Im just dreaming .. :)

IMG-20200709-WA0020.jpg DSCF7223.JPG DSCF7292.JPG DSCF7581.JPG

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, you had me at guitars... Lol. I also like old toys and have many different genre of toys. I finally thinned the guitar herd a few years ago, then a buddy asked me to play upright bass in a band, so then I got addicted to those. I thought guitars were expensive...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  24. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

210superair likes this.
  25. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Hmmm...lifetime? into the hundreds...maximum at one time? around 30...usual average? 5-6...projects/parts cars? into the several hundreds...really cool cars? a handful...current?: 2 O/T, 1 complete hot rod, 4 hopefulls waiting patiently in line

According to quite a few of the responses here I should not have these 5 car projects because I'm "in between garages"o_O...they are all in storage until we find a new home...I'm either hanging onto the dream by the skin of my teeth or storing parts for some other guy's future project (as many many of my other cars have become):rolleyes:...either way it's all good...I saved them from the scrapyard and it kept me out of the bar:D

210superair likes this.
  26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

As Long As They Do Not Interfere With The Bench Racing Area That Is A Number.. DSCN3974.JPG

1956 F100 and Elcohaulic like this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Nice!! Don't it make you happy when you see your car gene get passed down. Getting into cars is one of the best things that's ever happened to me, my dad passed it down to me.. All my grandsons love cars, my oldest loves my el Camino. He's been known to take his nap in it lol...

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS and chevy57dude like this.
  28. He brought it to the track when I was there this weekend. IMG_20200712_130402278_HDR.jpg it was a family event.

29. Mike

Mike

Cars are like screwdrivers and 9/16 wrenches, you can have enough, but never too many.