Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical So....I'm learning a little about tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, May 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trollst

trollst

Yup, checked the rack, bushings, had it off, back on, replaced the boots, no play. No steering joint play, nothing obvious. Again, the only thing never looked at are the rotors.

2. trollst

trollst

So.....boys and girls, still waiting, speedway is still on back order, ECI is triple the money to buy here, because this is a fact finding mission, I wait. The Old Car Center is apologetic, but a back order it is, so, I'll tell you what happens soon as I know, in the meantime, not doing too many miles, the weather has sucked severely here, so mary has been garaged for a couple weeks.

3. trollst

trollst

Still waiting for parts.......

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Are you still waiting for parts?

5. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Just read this whole thread, hoping for a happy ending. So much for that. Never did I see where the steering u- joints were examined If you have two , are they phased correctly ? Had quite the awful driving truck until I fixed that Makes no sense but it made a world of difference.

nunattax likes this.
  6. trollst

trollst

OK, got my parts finally, but right now I'm too damn busy to even look at my truck, Monday, gotta fly down to the coast to replace two axles on my two year old travel trailer. Been wiring a 41 dodge pickup, VERY nice truck, but the left turn-hazard doesn't want to work, hours troubleshooting that, still not done. Yard work, nascar races, haying, summer is not a good time for me to wrench.
    DIYGUY, yes they are phased, as said, this truck is awesome except for this unique problem. I have checked EVERYTHING over the course of twenty years, BUT rotors.
    Anyway boys and girls, I'm still here and I WILL tell you how I've made out, won't leave anyone hanging.
    LeRoy.

7. Retrorod

Retrorod

Years ago we had a mechanic in our Chevy dealership named Walt who was the only guy around that could use our Hunter 206. He said " I can balance an egg with this machine...but I can't make it ROUND". I wish I knew where that old Hunter went when we got the new balancer.

dirty old man and DIYGUY like this.
  8. So....wondering if you have any updates?

9. trollst

trollst

No updates, got all the parts, my woman has been sick, summer is here, too hot, too busy, too everything, gonna tear mary apart this winter, new coils, rotors, brakes, new bushings in rear springs, she's gonna sit new, up in the air, instead of the sag I've gotten used to, I'll update, keep you guys informed, I'm determined to find this.

nunattax likes this.
  10. trollst

trollst

DSC05918.JPG DSC05895.JPG OK boys and girls, an update. I CANNOT find it, but I'm reassured that I'm not alone, its got to be a design issue with a stock pinto front end. As posted, I've checked everything, been to a reputable, full of hot rod guys, front end shop, they checked, as chronicled here, and to date have not found it.
    So, today, a friend and I pile into his car, a car I built five years ago, a 29 dodge fordor sedan. He has put 20,000 on this car, with zero issues. Went to Osoyoos, about 100 miles from princeton, where we both live, at varying speeds because the road is thinly populated and lends itself to herky jerking around if you want to.
    The car....stock frame rails, 360-torqueflight, 9 inch ford, pinto front end, bone stock right out of a pinto, non power rack. Very nice car to drive, somewhere around 3000 lbs, my italian friend calls it the lemonzine. He thinks it looks like a lemonzine, so....it is.
    He drove there, and I drove back, he drives with two hands, all the way there, the car was smooth, good drive, I drove home, sometime no hands, and found the shake, dead on at 60 miles per hour, two hands, no shake, one hand, slight shake, no hands very noticeable wheel shake. EXACTLY like my 36, EXACTLY the same results at the same speeds.
    I'm done, I'll live with it, he runs different wheels and tires, car is balanced similarly, both drive awesome, so....I'm stumped. Here is the car, and my old mary. P.S. I'm the ugly one.... View attachment 4811328 View attachment 4811330 View attachment 4811328 View attachment 4811330

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Leroy,
    I can't access the pics. Did you swap wheels since last Friday. Don't forget the Dodge truck pics...

Lawrence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.