Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Replacing carbon electrode. Distributor cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Jun 16, 2020.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Anyone ever replace the center electrode in a distributor cap? I have a new Mallory crab cap with a damaged center carbon electrode. Can I fix it.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Not sure about the Mallory crab cap but a typical carbon can be simply unscrewed from the spring and a new one screwed back in

loudbang likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not quite the same, but I had a "Chop Saw" hat worked great until the brushes went out. I could not find direct replacements, so I thought I was S.O.L. Then I went to a LARGE, well stocked hardware store a couple of towns over, and in the "Nut and Bolt" section, they had a box with a large selection of electric motor brushes. I found some that looked a lot like the originals, but were a little large. I bought them and carefully filed them down to fit the brush holders. They are still working just fine.

You may have to re-shape them a bit more than I did and maybe trim the spring, but it worked for me.

4. Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    loudbang likes this.

5. Try a horn button contact for your carbon slug.

loudbang likes this.
  6. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might try replacing the carbon button with a piece of copper or brass rod.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Batteries have a carbon rod in the middle. I mean flashlight batteries.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

I once jammed a ball point pen spring into my cap on the side of the road after the carbon button broke...it got me home!

loudbang likes this.
  9. So i removed mine, from a mallory cap today, that was broken off. I had to drill the center and then pick at it till it popped up enough to grab it with needle nose pliers.
    The carbon is 1/4” dia and just pushes into the hole on a tapered spring. I am not sure of the total length as it has been broken off. The part that is attached to the spring is 3/16”.

loudbang likes this.
  10. saltracer219

saltracer219

You should be able to find what you need at any good hardware store that stocks electric motor brushes.

11. Try BUBBA or Skip Haney they could possibly replacements also Brillman Co.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  12. noboD

noboD

Any machine shop with an EDM machine will have pieces of carbon.

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Cool. I appreciate the input. I am going to fool with it a bit tomorrow and see what I can come up with. I have a couple new sbf caps to rob parts from.

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1/4 in carbon arc rod from your local welding supply. Cut it off to whatever length you need.

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I hacked apart a ford cap today. The electrode is a ball of carbon. The Mallory has similar looking crimp on the electrode, might find out tomorrow if it's a ball as well.

16. 3/4”