Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spending the money building vintage engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 18, 2020.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The amount of $$$$$ wasted or not, on going for big HP,still can get lost in bad bit or too many lbs. of car and poor tuning. Often the real shows up, of what counts "HP to weight ratio" an good tuning.
    Cool factor is another thing,in my case I have old 1928 hot rod powered by old Ford Y-block 292 w 4x2 ect. but is under 1800 lbs loaded with me an gas.
    Raced a early 60s Vett ,very cool car with lots more HP. But the Vett is a lot more lbs. so he lost too a much older design engine. Ya,that really pissed him off.
    Sure I could put a SBC in my old rod,HP would go up,but to me cool factor would drop a lot. I like SBC V8s,even raced them as power in my oval track cars for years,still have 2 in the garage. My son has a SBC V8 in his 23 T-bucket,that will blow me in the weeds.
    Point is,there a lot of $$$$ used on getting even more HP,some times would of been better used for other parts of car.
    001 (4).JPG

2. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

There is something cool about the old technology that rounds out the whole package with vintage autos.

Ziggster, Rickybop, F-ONE and 7 others like this.
  3. Of course, I just remembered I have a really nice flathead that needs a home!? Maybe my 27 roadster or 29 pickup?

4. louisb

louisb

Just two words, Flat Head.

--louis

Ziggster, Driver50x and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's usually how it starts. I buy an engine I don't need and build a car around it.

03GMCSonoma, Rickybop, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  6. louisb

louisb

I thought I was the only one that did that.

--louis

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Shoot...I usually start with a '37 Ford V8 60 tube axle! Engines, I GOT!

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built my curent 3 cars with that same blueprint. I spend more on the engines than I do paint, and often more than paint and interior. To me a hot rod is not a paint job and some wheels/tires. If it cant burn 'em, I don't yearn 'em"

Jibs, Rickybop, LAROKE and 3 others like this.
  9. GeeRam

GeeRam

My reasons exactly for going the 'cheap' crate sbc route. Plus its a lot easier to live with here in the UK.
    Sadly, the '32 might now never get finished with the job loss as a result of this bloody virus.

osage orange and Roothawg like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hang in there buddy. It'll either get better or we will all die.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- look at price for a built Hi-performance set up with all of the right parts

Roothawg likes this.
  12. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I went through the same thing with my 54 Olds. I bought the car with no engine or trans. I had a 58 Pontiac 370 with factory Tri-Power that we had went through in 1970, bored .030, big cam etc. that we ran in a modified pulling tractor. Pulled the 370 in 1973 in favor of a 427 Chevy. The Pontiac was oiled and put in storage. I put it in the 54 Olds with a 4 speed Hydro. Now all the Olds guys get on my ass for using the Pontiac and all the Pontiac guys give me hell for putting it in the Olds. I have a dude wanting to buy it, he doesn't know a lug nut from a horse turd and his money is green so it might go down the road.

Speedy Canuck and Roothawg like this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

High five on that one.:)

bchctybob, dan griffin and Roothawg like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have very few pants that have deep pockets and the ones that do , have holes in them. :oops:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  15. You're not alone here Root; anyone can put an sbc in anything if they want a belly-button mobile. I could have put one in my '40 but then I'd have just another '40 with just another sbc in it. The Cad may have cost more to put together but it's way cooler IMHO.

16. people say I'm fkn nutz but so be it................ya only live once go for whatever gusto please's ya..... Go Roothawg
    23.JPG

17. and remember...............
    a4815e86b8410f591f75d847d84e01c7.jpg

18. You're definitely not alone. I've been collecting stuff to build a 394 Oldsmobile for awhile now. I think I've got pretty much everything I need to start at it. To make mine even more challenging, I've only bought used or n.o.s parts for it from pre '65. (Including some from hamb members). Trust Me, it's not easy to find vintage parts and most of it cost as much or more than ordering new components. But it has been alot of fun doing that treasure hunt. Does it make any sense?...probably not, but it is fun. I'll add that I was still in bag dad when the 394 was available...I was born in 71.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

27 Roadster pickup on 32 rails.

20. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

i call it the cost of cool
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

21. Only a mild build on the 365 I’ve put together (mild cam and 390 heads)along with manual box,but it’s dressed for a big night out!
    My thoughts are the torque this fine looking engine will produce while in a little A will enable me to scoot around for a long time with a big grind on the dial. Plus the stockish hp produced and torque will shread tyres if the urge is there.
    A thread I was reading recently from a builder with lots of Cad experience suggested trying to make one rev like a sbc (=$$$$$) is not required when their torque is produced down low as designed. Mildly enhanced and dressing up is still not cheap on these but enables me to have as much fun I can probably handle anyway.

Roothawg and warbird1 like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

For what I have invested in a low buck Desoto hemi build with an a833 four speed behind it I could have had an expensive paint job and a 305 auto. Not much question which is cooler.

bchctybob, Rickybop, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  23. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Most of the engines I’ve had or built have been sbc, rebuilt a y block just because it would suit the truck and you know what? I’m converted, looks great, sounds awesome, so what if it’s heavy, quirky, low hp, most sbc’s aren’t powerful in stock form either.

Stllrng. and Roothawg like this.
  24. wrapping up a 500 caddy, I personally feel it was a bargain for the low torque its supposed to produce

Jibs, ekimneirbo and Roothawg like this.
  25. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

I know, I have a Cad 390 and just to put it back to a stock running piece it's costing bucks. But like you said. IT'S COOL

Roothawg likes this.
  26. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I had a 390 in a 62 Sedan DeVille that weighs in at 4700 lbs. it scooted right along, just don't stop or turn.

Rickybop likes this.
  27. Don't get me started on my little 273 Commando a factory 10.5 popper....

Rickybop likes this.
  28. I too, started with a $200 390 caddy that quickly turned into a +$1000 and it's not even running yet.
    Worst thing is that I don't have anything small to put it in.
    f627aab4e11c42cfa0f85dc2beca7fc2.jpg IMG_20200510_115810.jpg

29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You just never learn do you ?

30. Your not the first guy to start with one piece and buy everything else to go around it to make a Hot Rod. My avitar started out a Vision, a Grill and a set of Hubcaps.

weps, Rickybop and ffr1222k like this.