Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody build a quonset type building for a shop??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi Hambers....
    It looks like a move might be in my future to the N.E. Kansas area to be closer to my son and his family....most places I have looked at don't have much in the way of a shop / garage so I have been doing some research and I was wondering if any of you folks have built a Quonset type structure as a base for your garage?? They seem to be fairly easy to assemble...I can turn wrenches...so this type of structure appealed to me...

https://steelarchbuildings.com/catalog/

Another one here as well...

https://www.americansteelspan.com/

I am not looking for a monster garage...just something basic that is weather tight and I can afford to keep warm in the colder months...

Any insight would be much appreciated.

MikeC

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I've seen shipping containers make nice garages..

Flathead Dave likes this.
  3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built one on a cement slab, real cheap build.It is 18 years old now and was only about 5k back then. 303B4AEF-4422-4901-8648-9E842EABDA70.jpeg

4. fresh hops

fresh hops

5. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot to say it came in 3’ sections, mine is 12’x 24’. The overhang I added years later to give it the look. I used it only to store a car, Now yard equipment, if was to build one in it I would go wider and 30”deep. B3D740D8-A9FD-4DBE-9426-CC034C5F37BC.jpeg 73B6A1F6-E290-411E-981E-B8E6B0736471.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Muttley, das858, dan31 and 5 others like this.
  6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Quonset hut type buildings are tornado resistant. . Moving to Kansas, that should be a factor!

Bones

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My brother in law has one that is 36 X 80. He put it up about 30 years ago, no issues with it at all. Those deep ribs in the steel give it a lot of strength, kinda like beads rolled in floor pans.

scrap metal 48 and Boneyard51 like this.
  8. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Can we see inside?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

When I bought my place it didn't have a garage so I bought a couple shipping containers to store all my crap. Then I prepped and set grade placing them 24' apart and poured a 6" slab in between. Roofed and walled it in and cut openings in the container sides. The slab is level with the container floors so I can wheel stuff in and out onto the slab. Worked out pretty good.
    Now trying to decide door configuration, one large in middle or two smaller on each side.
    IMG_4766.JPG IMG_7630.JPG

egads, stanlow69, VANDENPLAS and 7 others like this.
  10. Jokester

Jokester

Where in NE Kansas? If it's in the KC metro area, you'll have to be aware of local building restrictions. Many neighborhoods don't allow such structures. If you'll be in a rural area, probably not an issue.

.bjb

Any insight would be much appreciated.

MikeC[/QUOTE]

The37Kid and scrap metal 48 like this.
  11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

93EDDA62-4542-43F1-A2B2-23DA763B169E.jpeg
    Used one for years... errected in 1960 I saw where the issues were with both advantages and disadvantages. Pluses... Easy to put up and weather proof depending on the doors used. One things to consider is radiant heat inside the structure. I found a good coating of white elastomeric on the exterior roof surface repels heat as well as extending the life of the roof. Without it it was like working in a solar oven. Tried insulation on the interior but once the heat gets in it is not pleasent. It was located in San Diego so I cant speak to the cold weather.

I would errect the building up off the ground on a cinder block footing. Without the bottom footing the building will rust up from the bottom and eventually a gap will appear between the ground level (concrete) and the building. Wonderful for critter to come and go through. Plus with a footing there will never be a rain /flooding issue. Id swim in my shop after a good rain. Id build another one in a heart beat but would do those two things for sure. Just my $0.02 good luck and enjoy the build...

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I was born in a quonset hut 66 years ago at Camp Pendelton San Diego, does that count??

13. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Pic or it didnt happen! LOL

54 ford coupe and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

If you go that direction, check into the spray foam insulation that's available today, it's very efficient, pricing compared to others, framing in and fiberglass, you figure that part out. Another suggestion, check into pole buildings, I have Cleary, 30x54x12sidewall, very happy with it, see what brands/prices are available where you're going to be. Good Luck !

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

The big draw back it is harder to put a bench against and less ways to insulate if want to heat. I would go the pole barn route. Wicarnut talked about foam insulation My shop was built about 30 years ago and it was spray foamed and they bragged about it being fire prof and even held a flame against it. 5 years later I was using cutting torch and looked at the wall and it was burning. I had a water hose near and put it out with out loss. Maybe the new stuff is better.

little red 50 and Atwater Mike like this.
  16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A friend had a machine shop in one for many years in SoCal.
    He'd still be there, except for the land owner wanted to sell the property. Had two (or three) regular buildings and the big half round tube that Denis was in.
    All leveled and I assume a new building is in its place.

Mike

17. [/QUOTE]
    I am looking at Jackson County in the Holton area...more cows than people...

not sure what the building code will say yet..I probably should check really soon...

MikeC

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Friend of mine put one up years ago, main tip was don't be too quick to buy. He answered an ad in a magazine or newspaper and asked some questions over the phone, the more reluctant he was to buy the more they lowered the price. I think he ended up getting it for half the advertised price.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  19. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No cars in it now just yard stuff. 5A6B0101-CF51-4922-B21A-0D288D094F4E.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job ! What do shipping containers go for delivered ? Thanks,
    Ed.

21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Depends where you live. Cheaper near a major sea container terminal. Shipping increases with distance. More charges for installation. A simple "drop it here" is cheaper than requiring a crane to lift the container over a fence.

A battered "retired" container is cheaper that one that is "rebuilt" and has a fresh coat of paint.

All my data is several years old - discovered that a container was too narrow for me to work in.

22. THAT explains a LOT!

firstinsteele likes this.
  23. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This is the best I have for now, this was two years later. My Dad took leave to help his brother on the family farm. He is in the bed of the truck with his Gunny Pith Helmet on and my Uncle Joe is in the what appears to be a corn crib.
    Sorry it is not a hut. Farm Dad.jpg

24. belair

belair

Watch some you tube videos. Some costs and special slab requirements you should be aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. No, but definitely in my future.

26. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

I built a 25x36 last year. Got a good deal on the building. Otherwise I think pole buildings may be more versatile and cost effective. Still need to do a shelving, electrical, installing a gantry and wood stove. I also think a pole building would be easier to insulate.

Attached Files:

27. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

Like the previous poster said, slab and foundation is critical. Hopefully you can find and experienced concrete contractor in these style buildings (unless you are capable to day)

Erection really required 4-5 people depending on the stage. The steel arches are a wet noodle and the first 3 are super critical.

Attached Files:

28. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

My neighbors crane was pretty useful too.

It's good you like turning wrenches, there are thousands of nuts and bolts in one of these.

Attached Files:

29. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If a shipping container is dented they can't use it again. Also, more stuff is shipped to the US than from the US so they tend to accumulate, more in some areas than others. If you live near a sea port or shipping hub there are probably lots around. Last time I looked, roughly $1000 for a 20 footer $2000 for a 40 footer. A quick web search should turn up some in your area if there are any.

30. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I paid $3K each, delivered but I'm in northern NV. I think you can get a 40 footer for about half that if you go to a major port. Mine came from the SF Bay area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.