Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Car Insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane3x43, Jun 16, 2020.

1. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Haggarty Ins. They're right here in Michigan....

Keep On Trucking Brother ...
    1Nimrod

2. In the 40 yrs I've been insuring my hotrods, I've never carried more than liability. Just played the odds. Figured since I built it, I could fix it. If I couldn't, I saved what I could and moved on. Money I saved through the years put my butt in my AMG Merc. Just carry liability on that too. With all the hi-tech safety shit on it, I figure my odds got a little better.

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hmm, didn't know this. I've had AAA for many years for home and newer vehicles, and JC Taylor for the old stuff. I don't think AAA are the cheapest insurer around, nor the best, never made a claim or shopped around. Do you know if there is any truth to the pop up ads claiming some new law mandating lower insurance for driving under XXX miles per year?

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

A few years ago after retiring , things started getting tight financially , we started actively shopping our insurance needs ,ended up saving , literally , hundreds of dollars per year , we shop once a year now . Make the insurance agents earn that money !!:p

blowby likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bravo! I enjoy dealing with insurance about as much as the IRS. Phone calls, emails, packets of documents, 'declarations', disclosures, what's covered, what isn't.. I already get a letter from State Farm, Geico or some such at least once a week in the mail. Use them to start the wood stove. Good on you for getting through it.

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Not " me" , SHE got through it !!! LOL

7. LasyGroover

LasyGroover

They're almost equal too. But I think the Haggerty has better service. Anyway, you're the one to choose. I was shocked and surprised to see car insurance and maintenance prices when moving to the USA. I was even thinking of living without a car, but public transport wasn't comfortable in my city. I found a good option on car insurance for bad credit because I had one and still craved the car. Now everything's fine, and my salary allows buying a better and newer car. But I like this one, lol. Do you think the car should accord the status?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Don't forget to ask about "storage" insurance. If you live where theres snow, it's worth changing the coverage each year for winter if you know the car will be off the road.

9. 5window

5window

Maybe, but insurance for both my non-dailies is $300 a year and I am not sure how much I would save. If I count the stress of hoping the agent got my changes done correctly and in a timely manner and the cost of my time switching coverage on and off, I am,personally happy just leaving everything I have set up in place.

indyjps likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've been with Grundy for the past 15 years. A couple years ago I finally had to make a claim after a fender bender with my 57 Ford. The adjuster came out to my house and went over the car. Despite walking the adjuster through all of the work done to the car, the offer I received was grossly insufficient to repair the car. I declined the check. After I took the car to a licensed collision repair facility, the adjuster was called back out, which yielded a revised settlement of almost $10,000 more than the original offer, and over double what the initial offer was. I was satisfied with he resolution and accepted the settlement at that point, but was prepared for litigation if the insurance company continued to low-ball me. I didn't take kindly to the attempt to weasel out of a fair settlement to repair the car. I've paid my premiums (on multiple cars) for over a decade and never filed a claim, including for a couple cars that are projects and have no chance of a liability claim against them. I thought the paltry offer was scummy and in bad faith, typical of an insurance company that is all too happy to collect premiums, but will then try to dodge legitimate claims. I've stayed with Grundy though since the agreed value of the cars is good, I have a long track record with them, and they did not significantly raise my premiums following the claim. But I'm certainly not married to them.

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’ve had Grundy for 25 years and just had my second claim.
    The adjuster came out in less than a week and I made arrangements with him to view my car on a friends lift. He took a few dozen photos of the undercarriage and spent over an hour with me.
    After hearing from the agent in charge of my case I received a check for the estimated damage to my car as it sits NOW. If there is more damage after the shop or any adjustment to the repair cost there will be Additional funds added.
    Another point I’d like to make is I am able to take it to the shop of my choice which will be a highly regarded Custom/ Collision shop in October after the season as my car is still drivable ..
    Needless to say I’m satisfied with the claim process so far. My last claim 5 years ago went off without a hitch also.

Stu D Baker and 5window like this.
  12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are all about the same until you have a claim. I've had at least 3, maybe 4 and Hagerty has always stepped up and take care of me quickly. The last adjuster they sent was a hot rodder and was familiar with what it would take to get my 41 Plymouth back as it was. He wrote up a a very fair estimate for me. I didn't haggle with him at all.

Also, as mentioned, their roadside service is great and very reasonable. I've had to use it at least 3 times. I may pay a little extra for them but their service is top shelf.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had Hagerty for a number of years, and never had a claim. But every year they raised my rate about 10% until it got stupid. I was planning on switching when I got an email from them stating they were dropping me because my cars weren't stored at my house! I called and asked where they got this info, since all my cars were and always had been at my house? The agent wouldn't tell me where the info came from, but said they weren't going to drop me after all.
    I was pissed, and began actively searching for new insurance with every place I heard about. A friend's wife works in insurance, and he told me his cars were all insured through Chubb Collector Car Ins. I gave them a call and got a quote that was half of Hagerty's price, so I dropped Hagerty. I also raised my coverage even higher, and still less money.
    When I bought my last project I called and they added build coverage for cars that weren't being driven, and cost me $18 a year. As I put more into the build I'd call every few months and they'd raise the agreed coverage for a tiny increase. They've been fantastic to deal with, but haven't had a claim. Only caveat is they wont cover a car worth less than $25k, unless you've got multiple cars, and the first is worth $25k or more. Others can be worth under then.

14. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Condon and Skelly (a division of Met Life). Had it 20 years now but never had a claim. My regular insurance is through Farm Bureau and he recommended them to me.

15. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

I,m also with Anpac.
    3 claims thru no fault of my own,heavy hail damage.
    Every claim handled quickly,fairly and professionally.
    I used to have American Family but they screwed me big time and also screwed my friend who was their agent

egads and rockable like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Haggerty and they do cover "builders". After I pass the $10,000 mark I like having the cars I am building protected against loss or theft. As the vehicle nears completion I continue sending them photos of my progress and they keep jacking up the coverage. My current PU build has been covered for 2 years now and won't be on the road for another year yet. Cheap piece of mind, great customer service.

rockable likes this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have been with Allstate for all of our car insurance needs. Family cars and hot rods were all included in the “family plan.” That meant all drivers in the house were insured for any car. Then the specialty designations came into play. Our dad only drove his big Buick Roadmaster cars, so he was 90-100% locked into the Buick insurance. Our mom was a floater, she could drive any car when she could, so that was good.

My brother was also part of the family insurance plan. Although no one drove his car, it was a family car designation. So, if and when I was ready, I could easily drive it. In an emergency, our mom could also drive the 51 Oldsmobile sedan lowered or not. But we never did. Our dad never drove the Oldsmobile, either.
    upload_2022-7-28_4-24-28.png
    By the time I had my license, I was also a “floater.” Going back and forth from my dad’s Buick and now, the 58 Chevy Impala. Yes, our mom even drove the 58 Impala. But, my brother was the primary driver.
    upload_2022-7-28_4-25-40.png
    The insurance costs were low as no one got in any accidents or got speeding tickets. My brother got “fix it tickets,” but that was not a moving violation.

Jnaki

The one thing that happened was by the time I started driving, each of us had to get our own plan from Allstate. The main thing was, they knew my mom was not the primary driver of a 58 Impala or a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. But, there could be a chance, and there was, driving in our dad’s Buicks on his days off. So, there were 4 drivers in two groups, but with three separate plans. The costs were a little higher, but not unreasonable.

P.S. The 1940 Willys Coupe with the 671 SBC motor was also designated a family car, but only the brothers were insured to drive it. Our dad sat in it with the motor running, but our mom only got as close as handing us sandwiches and cokes during the build. She hated it with a passion, but accepted what her two sons were doing, staying involved as brothers in a “together” activity.
    upload_2022-7-28_4-27-18.png
    Currently, we are still insured with Allstate and are as they have told us many times, we are “valued customers.” When the California insurance companies all raised their rates, we looked into other companies. No one would touch us due to the long-standing relationship with Allstate. The costs were so much higher than our plans that also included house, cars, and sailboat.

Locally, the AAA would not insure our home because it was in a fire zone, within 300 feet of scrub brush and overgrowth in the canyons/hills. They suggested that we would not be able to get any plans that cost less than our 50 plus years of being with Allstate. But, sometimes insuring all big items with one company gives some advantages of a single use item. So, consistency pays off. YRMV

18. SturgisOttis

SturgisOttis

My friend had his car serviced at Grundy. He said the service seemed good, but there were some minor nuances. So he decided to look for another service that could provide full insurance, including theft and fire insurance. He started looking for a new insurance company and found Youi on the recommendation of friends. He insured with this company and never regretted it once. But I never insured my car with these companies, although it was time to insure my car.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  19. Hagerty for me all positive interactions, thankfully never a claim. I also have nothing negative about the competitor.

20. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Hagerty for me! Been covered by them since forever, well a long time, and had only one claim. Service was great, paid me my labor for fixing the damage and actually questioned if I was claiming enough hours for the paint work. Never had a rate increase outside of them calling and discussing the value and amount of coverage. Happy with rates and coverage.

21. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

I changed to the Corvette Museum Insurance which I believe is American Modern. I have 3 cars with them now and the cost is about the same as Hagerty was with two cars. Hagerty placed a premium on one car as it doesn’t have external door handles. It was classified as a custom because of that. The only other real modifications was removing some chrome and it being lowered.
    Fortunately never had a flame with either.

22. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I've had a horrible experience with Haggerty! They are great until you get into an accident and they have to pay out. When I had my accident they barely paid half of what it cost me to have my 1962 Chevy II repaired.

I recommend avoiding them!!

23. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've been with Hagerty for several years and have always had good experiences with them. The only issues I ever had was with roadside, which they (and everyone) of course just contracts out to a "preferred" local tow company.

Well long story short, the tow guy showed up 3 hours late. He finally loaded my car, and I told him I would be meeting him at the place where the car was going, which was a friend's business/repair shop, so I could use his lift. After 2 hours and many phone calls, the guy still wasn't there, it was a 15-minute drive.

What was the holdup you ask? the tow truck driver left with my car (nice '32 Ford) on his rollback, then drove into Portland (opposite direction from where the car was going) to a couple of auction yards and body shops to haul a couple more cars "real quick" (his truck could haul two cars at a time) I had also left before the guy strapped it down. When he arrived, I found that he used his greasy tire baskets on my nice white walls, which were now filthy and chewed up from these pieces of shit.

Obviously, I lost it on him, the tow company "manager" and ultimately, Hagerty. The end result was basically a collective shrug of the shoulders. Although after hearing my entire story, I think the person at Hagerty that makes decisions like that fired the tow company as a client. (Not that the tow co. gave a shit, they were total fart sniffers.)

Other than that one experience, which Hagerty couldn't really control, I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I actually wrote an unprompted/unsolicited review of them on my site:
    https://ironandsteele.com/blogs/news/one-schmucks-opinion-hagerty-insurance

I have quite a few cars with them but have never had a claim. I call pretty often to change, add, take away cars and I have always found them to be prompt and courteous. They haven't raised my rates enough to mention in the last few years. So take it for what it's worth, but I've had good luck with them. Just babysit the tow guy if you ever have to use the roadside..

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

24. newtonwohlert

newtonwohlert

Hi there, folks. I'm currently looking for a car insurance service. Any suggestions for Europe? I've heard of kasko insurance. The reviews say it's fully comprehensive. Actually, it's the thing I'm looking for. So, any suggestion is very welcome. I hope some folks here know something about European insurance. I'd be really grateful for any information. We have a newborn baby. That's why I'm looking for the best option. Thanks in advance. Best wishes, folks. Keep the topic updated.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  25. 5window

5window

You don't say where you are. Hagerty and Chubb appear to be in the UK. You'll be better to start with a Google searh where you live, contact local car clubs for recommendations and check with whoever has your other vehicles insured. It may well be country (or EU vs non-EU specific. Maybe some of our Euro brothers will chip in.

Welcome to the HAMB-tell us what you are running.

26. cabong

cabong

I've had Hagerty for over 30 years and never had any issues with them. We've had several small claims any they were paid with no questions. One of those claims was for rodent damage. Nancy's Nash wagon had a family of mice get into the headliner. we generally keep 8 to 10 cars insured, and it's really cheap, considering !!

rockable likes this.