Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1938 willys coupe project build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fatkidscars, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Hey FKC, so was wounding is the plan to keep it 1938 or will it become another 40 to 41? I really like the 38 look, ( might be cause I have a 38 all steel 2 Dr Sedan) anyway I like the way your going with your build so hope you stay with the 38 coupe look. Will be following your build, nice stance, like your wheel choose. From your pictures body looks pretty good. I am boxing my frame right now and then I can put my suspension back on the frame, going at it slowly but it coming around. There are a couple of post about my 38 all steel sedan, check them out maybe they will help. Keep up the great work it will be good go see how it comes around.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Staying with the 38 nose, will be posting some pics later today, impala buckets installed, steering all done, shifter and mount in, battery box and fuel cell installed, today plan is to fill rear end, fit windshield, and some toe board work, and brake lines.

Attached Files:

3. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Windshield in, rear end done, finished welding off the front end, gauges installed, installed a org red white blue Don Garlits tach and the electric fan installed and laying out the wiring now.....

Attached Files:

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am surprised that those Impala bucket seats fit in there. I would have guessed that they would be too wide for a Willys...

5. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Seats are as wide as u can go in a willys...lol tight fit....

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  6. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Hope you don't mind me asking -- I recently picked up some "fair" steel front fenders for my '38 sedan. The headlight pods do not have any flanges for attachment of light buckets; did Willys make them that way, or did somebody trim them off? Looks like you have adapted Ford headlight rims? And buckets? Have you any detail pics, or description, of your arrangement?

7. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

My headlight areas were already trimmed out on the fenders when i picked up the old junker, the ford headlights was something i had laying around and fit okish, and lots cheaper than trying to fix the fenders, if you like i can get you some pics of how mine were done.

8. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Very cool, don't lose the running boards first time out....hahahah. Got any period front runners...?

9. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Got them bolted on well......lol. I bought a full set of injectors but received these front runners in injector boxes, long story short these are the wheels i'm running for now.

chryslerfan55 and Thor1 like this.
  10. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Well the willys coupe is all done to my standards, finished up all the smaller things and drove it down the road today....

Attached Files:

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Wow! Fantastic thread, thanks for taking us along.

12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Unreal , don’t paint and drive like you stole it !

13. Fatkidscars

Fatkidscars

Some inside pics....

Attached Files:

Rathbone, elgringo71, rod1 and 3 others like this.
  14. 110mike

110mike

Lovely! I seem to one of a few who prefer the 37-38 beak.
    Any chance you would like to liquidate that machine??

I have been sniffing for one of these coupes for years with not a whiff to be had. lol

15. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Love it

16. 110mike

110mike

Found one. Probably as bad or worse than Fatkidscars'.
    No front end, a little twisted and a little rusty but its a genuine steel coupe.
    Was removed from the chassis and the body was rolled into a shallow ravine in the 50s. Sat on its lid till the 80s and has been passed around since.
    I have it now. Could use the same "pan swap" job that fatkidscars did to his.

Most definitely needs a parts car sedan donar.

May sell it,,, but i dont want or need to. Just getting tired of the big and deep projects.

Attached Files:

17. 110mike

110mike

Howdy.

I have a 38 coupe now as well. Can you elaborate on your clip/pan swap?
    Mine needs the same treatment and a few pointers from a guy whos done one couldn't hurt.

The37Kid likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

19. neat build, neat car, neat shop

20. elgringo71

elgringo71

21. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. post 40 (above) shows as finished as he is giong to get. its running and driving.

rod1 likes this.