Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Irvine CA. Who should I know and what's there to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jun 16, 2020.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Good chance I'll be moving to the area soon. What should I know? Where are all the cool spots? Anyone have a 4 car garage with an apartment above that I can buy or rent? LOL

2. Hit me up when you get here. I know everything that goes on here....

The37Kid likes this.
  3. When this virus deal is over, there's so much stuff to do. Swap meets, cruises, shows, every weekend. I can show you where all the shops are, etc.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OC in So Cal is dead... nothing to see here ... stay in Michigan... we have shitty weather... nobody drives in the winter.... roads are too salty..... :rolleyes:

Aeroman, nochop, abe lugo and 8 others like this.

5. Mel

Mel

Irvine, eh? You’re gong to drive 1.5 hours to come to LA.... All kidding aside, you’ll find plenty to do. Check out the events page on the SoCal Car Culture site. Plenty to do after we get past this virus.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Aeroman likes this.
  6. toml24

toml24

Donut Derelicts, the best FREE car show on the West coast every Saturday morning from 5:30 AM to 8:30 AM in Huntington Beach at the corner of Adams and Magnolia. 200 vintage cars and trucks every Saturday. There are are no rules. Just come and enjoy. Trust me it is worth your time to get up early and experience it.

hidez57, Cosmo50, jimmy six and 2 others like this.
  7. Lil32

Lil32

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Then I'll feel right at home!

jimmy six and hemihotrod66 like this.
  9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

So where should I be looking at houses? Going to be working in the Myford area. Would really love a decent garage but that seems unlikely from what I've heard and seen.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, Michigan to Irvine... what a move across the USA, but, at this time and pandemic? My wife’s sister has lived in Irvine for the last 19 years in different places. The area has grown by leaps and bounds. But, that mention of Myford Road area is interesting for a couple of things. That road is split into two areas. One on the western side of the I-5 freeway and on the eastern side, stops at a giant park near a ton of apartment building complexes. My son and I took a test drive in an old Mercury from an owner in one of those apartment buildings on Myford Road. It was a nice car, but the floor carpeting was wet and smelly.

So, apartment living is plentiful, but as far as a garage to work on a build of some kind? Well, that might have to be located elsewhere. You will be near the historic Tustin Airbase building at the West end in an industrial area. The farther you go where the apartments are, it is all residential. Homes are a little pricey, but, there are a lot of them. Just a skip and a hop nearby is Tustin.

There are older neighborhoods and some may have larger yards with garages for your choices. My wife’s sister had an older home in Tustin and the property was larger than the homes in Irvine. They are usually less in cost for an older home versus the new tract homes in Irvine.

Of course, you must already know that this area is flush with a million shopping centers, auto dealerships and a huge industrial complex with big name companies in residence. The locations are bordering the fastest way to go South to San Diego and North to Los Angeles on the freeway. That has incentives for those tons of industries to move here. Then, that creates a problem as more people are looking for places to live.

A 4 CAR GARAGE WITH AN APARTMENT ABOVE? Well, that sounds like a dream in suburban Irvine. South of the IRVINE GREAT PARK is Lake Forest. That area has much older homes and possibly a property with a 4 car garage. Apartment above? Maybe not so much. Most suburban tracts have two-three car garages, but no apartment above. But, across the freeway in Laguna Hills is another smaller industrial area with small buildings and large insides for building or storing cars. There are a lot of little shops that rent a building and have tons of room inside for what ever industry or work takes place.

My wife and I looked at a new house in Newport Beach a long time ago and the advertising draw was a nice nanny or grandparents apartment above a two car garage. That was very nice, but you must have a million or so now. Back when it was built, it was somewhat affordable. I am sure that place and most in Irvine have community CC&R rules about working and building on the properties.

Jnaki

As far as apartments are concerned, Irvine seems to be the center of OC for the gazillion apartment complexes. Those industries draw a ton of people searching for housing. Working in that area of Irvine will get a little hectic in traffic, but over time one will adapt to the times, including traffic for the best drive to work and back. There are some of us that have lived in the OC for over 50 years and have adapted quite well with the growth. Along with that, the overflow of traffic plays a big part of moving from the Southern end to Central OC near where you will be living and working.

One thing you will have going for you, almost 365 days of sunshine in Irvine and centrally located for many road trips to other So Cal amenities. The mountains are a short drive away as noted by other HAMB hot rod guys and the beaches are an 8th wonder of the world. Coastal So Cal is also a “not to miss” for an extended vacation from San Diego to Santa Barbara. You will be centrally located with access to most everything, including a lot of people. We all adapt. The only salt is in the ocean and tears…

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When it comes to housing in Irvine and most all of OC, bring a bucket of money. Also, check on HOA restrictions. Some have rules that don't even allow you to leave your garage door open.

hidez57, Aeroman, seadog and 2 others like this.
  12. The city of Orange is more reasonable (if there is such a thing in So. Cal.) and just over the hill from Irvine via Jamboree Rd. I would avoid living in Irvine due to all the apartments...

Aeroman, Special Ed and Blues4U like this.
  13. 200 Vintage cars? Not even close! That's why I stopped going, cause of all the new Corvettes, Camaros, Mopars, etc. It doesn't draw 1/4 of the old cars it used to. It's worth going, if you don't care about the new stuff. Cause there's no rules, anything goes... That's why the guys with Hotrods get there about 4am to park by the Donut Shop. hahaha

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The suggestion of Orange is a good one, more affordable housing, better chance of an individual house, and lot's of speed shops and garages in Orange. Without knowing your financial situation or what your job will pay, you might consider getting a place out in Corona and commuting in on the toll road, since you'll be working right off the 261. Or if you have the financial wherewithal South County has plenty of places to live large. The closer you get to the ocean, the more expensive it gets. Nice living though, if you can swing it.

Be aware that the whole area is heavily impacted, meaning lot's of traffic, in every direction, and everything is built up, few open spaces. So getting anywhere takes a lot longer than you would imagine. But, once you get familiar with the traffic patterns and the roads you find your ways around the congestion the best you can. Sometimes there's no getting around it though. It can be bad. In those circumstances it pays to be patient and not let it get to you.

But I don't mean to be discouraging, for a hot rod enthusiast it's a great place to be; plenty of cruises and events, several per week; and lot's of speed shops and anything you need for your car. And good people too.

Looking at the other responses here it makes me think we should get an Orange County HAMB chapter going and get together sometime.

15. There is an Orange County HAMB groupe. We started the Anti-Donut breakfast, which meets at Papa Z's, 9121 Garfield, Fountain Valley, on saturday about 7am, just down the street from Donut Derelics. Do a search for the Anti Donut Breakfast. It's at Garfield and Magnolia.

Special Ed likes this.
  16. toml24

toml24

You want a home in Orange County. Look no further. Costa Mesa. Specifically the tract known as Mesa Del Mar. Been there, done that. No finer area to be in. All you need is $$$$.

17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

I'm already having a little sticker shock seeing that a home that would typically go for $275,000-$300,000 in my area is $650,000 to $700,000 there... And you don't get a yard and parking can be problematic.

Blues4U likes this.
  18. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

And a bedroom would probably drive the price up.

Tman, chopped and Lil32 like this.
  19. Houses in my neighborhood are selling for mid 600's. 3br, 2bath, 2car garages. BUT!!! I'm right next to the High School, so people are offering OVER asking price, to buy.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

more than a "little sticker shock" - hope that you got a hiring package that included some moving and housing expenses costs - have to be quick with the click on the 'ol computer to find and make a deal - summer usually a time for lots of moving but, in the situation now who knows - maybe rent for a while first -

Peter Nowak likes this.
  21. Renting is actually the smartest suggestion/decision you could make. Get here, figure it out, then buy in the city you like....or you might not even like it and move back, that's happened before....

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

$275k - $300k isn't going to get you a shack with a dirt floor here. It's tough to move in from out of the area, most people are going the other way. That's why I mentioned Corona and a commute to work, significantly lower housing costs there. But then you have to deal with the commute. Lot's of people do it.

23. Once a girlfriend whispered in my ear "Kiss me where it stinks" so I drove her to Norco.....Some So. Cal. humor.....

ccain, Sky Six and Special Ed like this.
  24. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

In the California movies that I watch. All the poor, main characters, live in nice, older big homes or trailers, right on the ocean. ;);)

Attached Files:

25. Special Ed

Special Ed

Garden Grove, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Stanton ... there are several close-by communities that have a mixed bag of neighborhoods in them where the prices are much more reasonable than Irvine. The huge university located in Irvine keeps that area extra pricey. Irish Mike is spot-on about renting first.

26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without knowing your financial situation or what your job will pay, you might consider getting a place out in Corona and commuting in on the toll road, since you'll be working right off the 261.

Take it from someone who commuted to downtown LA, downtown Santa Ana, and downtown Van Nuys from Redlands for 9 years between the 3 locations, DON'T relocate to somewhere you think is affordable but requires a long commute. The drive will eventually damn near kill you and if you're married with or without kids it will really take its toll on them. I had several coworkers that live in Corona and still commute to Santa Ana daily. The freeways from Corona to anywhere in Orange County even with the toll lanes are a nightmare. JMHO.

Special Ed likes this.
  27. Chinoooooo.

ccain likes this.
  28. toml24

toml24

I rented an apartment in Costa Mesa for 35 years, same location. I could have paid off a house mortgage during those years. The main key is the 3-L's: Location, location, location.

29. I think Irvine is some kind of planned community.

Are you familiar with traffic? If you live where it's a little more affordable, consider the commute. If you want to go anywhere, you gotta consider traffic, even on weekends.

Car-related job?

30. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'll start out with saying that I mean no disrespect to anyone, anything, anywhere.

I'm a native Californian. For car guys it is heaven. Cruises only happen on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. There are speed shops, racing fabricators, and anything related to cars at every area. The people with hot rods and customs are fantastic. The beaches are fantastic.
    I lived in Buena Park and La Mirada. The traffic will change your personality. It will drain you. Prices of housing will scare the hell out of you and you may be house poor meaning that you have a nice house but cannot afford Taco Bell. Crowds will piss you off.
    Take you time finding a place to live, its a big move. I was just burnt out and sold everything and moved. Feeling much better now.

Blues4U, Aeroman and TrailerTrashToo like this.