Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long time lurker going full-participant, with a '58 Star Chief

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by pvfjr, May 21, 2020.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Hi all,
    I've had a few old vehicles, and have ended up on the HAMB through more google searches than I can count, but I've always just lurked for info and moved on. We just bought a 1958 Pontiac Star Chief 4-door hardtop to fix up. It's fairly original, and we'll probably keep it that way. It'll need some body work and paint eventually, but the first order of business is to get her running and on the road.

It hasn't been registered since 1993, but the radiator and master cylinder were still full of fluids. So far I've gotten the motor cranking and firing off of starting fluid, but haven't brought the carb to life yet--it also doesn't have a fuel pump. It sounds promising though.

One question I have--what forum should I post in? I've seen a few pissing matches about what defines a hot rod, custom resto, rad rod, etc. I'm not looking to stir things up and have no opinion on the matter. I just want to share my progress and post technical questions and learn from some experts without getting caught up in arbitrary titles. It won't be a "by the numbers" resto, but it won't be heavily modified either. I'll probably keep the body and drivetrain fairly original, but I don't mind some technological upgrades here and there (things like brakes, ignition, etc). What do you think? Is the "traditional custom" the place to be?

IMG_20200426_145836.jpg

LAROKE and Unique Rustorations like this.
  2. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado.

3. and welcome from Germany! :)

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Unless you plan major changes just post on the general discussion board. The fuel pump should be easy to find from your local auto parts but that huge wrap around windshield may be hard to find and expensive. Keep us updated with photo's as work progresses. Jimmie

5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome from Indiana and another Pontiac guy. People around here are very helpful along with a great Group of moderators. Obviously avoid anything past 1965 and you’re good! I have a fuel pump from a 1956 that could probably be rebuilt if yours is missing altogether. Let me know and we could check all the details. Enjoy your time here. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pvfjr likes this.
  6. pvfjr

pvfjr
    1. Hydro Tech

Well this thing got thrown on the back burner a bit. We decided we were going to be a boat family after COVID shut everything down last summer, and of course I couldn't buy a turn-key boat. So, weekends spent fixing boat, then weekends spent using boat, then RVing, then wildfires evacuating everyone, then deciding to sell our house, and deciding to buy a new house. New property has 3.6 acres for cars (or for gardens, if you ask the wife) , but the shop had a gravel floor and that just won't do. It'll be a while before I have a shop that's up-and-running, but I promise I'll keep you guys up to date with a build thread.