Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are any of your high School friends still involved with Hot Rods & Customs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 17, 2020.

1. A couple of years ago I attended a 50th high school reunion and I drove the '32 to the event, I park among the sea of foreign and domestic luxury cars.

The guys I went to school with who had some pretty nice cars lost interest and play golf or head to the marina on weekends, Most of my hot rod & Custom car buddies are a few years older than me but they have been die hard hot rodders their entire lives and still are. HRP

2bubbas, Driver50x, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  2. None of my HS friends were car guys. One of my best friends, dad worked at Bell Auto Parts, back in it's Hey Day, and he's not a gearhead! Go figure... All my car friends, i've met here on the HAMB.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

A couple are still into old cars but most that were interested have changed. When I went to our 50th I submit a picture of me with my car, and one of the organizers who was never a car guy loved my convertible. This guy has a ton of money he is a very successful attorney

3W JOHN, dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. Yes, quite a few of the guys that played with cars and cycles in HS and College still do. Graduated in 88

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha @Rocky and @Tuck were as close as I got to hot rod friends in high school.

They still do hot rod stuff I think ;)

6. das858

das858

My high school friends are still interested in old cars , I graduated in 1976 .

7. 67L36Driver

67L36Driver

A HS classmate has been in them forever. I helped him wrench on junk until I moved away near 49 years ago. His daily driver is a Ford FI now.

He is my main consultant while I resurrect my ‘40 Ford project.

8. vinfab

vinfab

In High School there was a core group of ten or so of us hard core car guys. Most stayed that way, some drifting to Circle Track, others stuck with Drag Racing and the rest with Rods and Customs. All but three of us have been called home. One of my H.S. friends is big into LS motors and has a couple of road race Camaros, the other restored a really nice triple black 69 Road Runner but decided he liked the money in the bank better than the car. I am the weird one, I still like and drive the cars I grew up with, in fact I have never owned a car newer than 1972.

9. I know one guy yet thats a builder like me.I know a couple guys that like factory cars like the Camaro,Mustang.Most have moved on to the ...."I had one like that when I was a kid" stage.Im 65,and will collect parts,and build til the end.

10. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’m young at 38 so time will tell if the passion for cars survives to old age.
    I’m lucky to still hang around with my car guy friends from high school, still building and racing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have one car guy friend that goes all the back back to High School, all through the years our paths crossed and we street raced some and I enjoy reminding him that I won every time, several different cars, no longer can race him as now he's got a couple of real Fast cars. More than once we have joked about two Old Farts getting arrested for street racing. Have many funny stories from Midget/Sprint car racing friends that some street racing was involved.

12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Graduated in 60-went to last class reunion 30 years ago in our 55. No one else was into older cars then--have no idea now.

13. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Several of my friends from high school are still car guys. One still has his ‘37 Chevy he bought in 1962.

14. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Well I'm older than dirt (my 50th reunion was 6 years ago) but a few of my high school friends are still into cars. One of them lives in Utah and has had a lot of hot rods, coupes, roadsters, and a couple of customs. I have been out to Bonneville with him many times. Another one had a tire store and was a very serious drag racer for years. One guy that still lives close by has always been into cars and right now has a 56 T bird. There's a couple more too plus at least 4 of us that I know of that still have the motorcycle disease. By the way all of us have been builders not buyers.

15. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I was unfortunate to be born in 1962 and not earlier. I was in JR High and my buddies in the early 70's were driving 67 impala with a 396, my neighbor's father died and left him a 36 Mopar delivery van ... fondest hot rod story I have is my high school buddy with his 68 Chevelle SS, 327/4spd and on a Friday afternoon, 2, 17 year old buddies tore down the engine and installed a high performance cam and took it cruising the same night. And they let me ride in the back seat!

I was 13 when I bought my first car, 15 when my single mother started to send me to the store with her car. I quit school in the 9th grade and never made it to high school, I was driving a 1951 Ford truck to JR high at the time with no drivers license. My mother bought it for me. I also quit school when I was 15, never made it to high school. I went to work as a plumbers assistant.
    All the garbage they teach you in schools nowadays, I do not feel like I missed a thing. At age 16 I had my own apartment with a 18 year old room mate to put their name on the lease ... Really funny time was when I was 17.
    I was hired as a dog catcher assistant for a small town. Months later the regular dog catcher quit and I took his place. Chief of police made me raise my right hand and say the oath, I was now a ordained officer to write tickets as a dog catcher would. .... should have seen his face a month later when he found out I never had a drivers license and have been driving the dog catcher van and police cars on occasion. I would drive them to the mechanics shop and drop them off, have a officer give me a ride back. I was 18 by this time, could get my license
    The Chief of police blew up and wagged his finger at me ... "You go get your drivers license this minute" don't come back til you do. So I took my 1969 fastback mustang with a hopped up 351, headers cam, 7" pro stock hood scoop and took my test. I passed.

I have changed many times over the years as to who I am and what I feel is important. ... I would rather be a fly on the wall and see what my old buddies turned into.
    Just saying, as many times that I have changed, I would be cautious about my old friends.

16. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I have one HS buddy that was a car guy then and still is now. In fact we both still own the same car we had in high school (over 35 years ago). He is on the H.A.M.B. as well and lives about 4 hours south. Trying to get him to move back here and get some property near mine. He is currently restoring a 1955 Snapon tool box for me...Randy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

My only point was, many of us did not go to high school or higher education collage, and we turned out just fine.

18. 2935ford

2935ford

19. 56MercMan

56MercMan

My friends and I were into cars in School. I went to college and got an office job. I love working on cars and customizing things. My friends went into the auto industry. working all day on cars and they want nothing to do with vehicles after hours or on weekends. I still have my hobby. They made their hobby a career and lost their hobby.

20. The few people that have met me here can attest to me being an........odd duck to put it nicely. No one except me and my 1 friend liked hot rods (or old cars for that matter). Been friends since 6th grade and he's on here also. Grew up with hot rod dreams in a pinto reality.

21. Everyone told me that too.....they said "it's like a mailman going for a walk on his day off". Still hasn't worn off or cooled down for me :).

22. Still have a "best bud" from jr. high days into hot rods. His favorite ride is the '55 Desoto Fireflite that I sold him around 8 years ago when I needed money for a down payment on our house. I am also close with my brother who is still doing hot rods.

23. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Graduated in 67 and still have one friend building cars. Was my best friend in high school and we were playing with cars then and both are still at it. He is finally rebuilding the 40 Deluxe Coupe he bought in 75, had a 324 Olds, 50 Merc trans and rear end when he bought it. He has a 35 Chevy street rod and a stock 36 Plymouth and decided he better finish the 40 while he is still able to do it. I moved away 45 years ago and we are still in touch and bounce ideas and problems with our cars off each other.

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I attended my 69th Hi school reunion last year(1950) not expecting to have much of a turnout, in fact the lady that put it all together had her doubts too, so she incorporated 1946 thru 1952, here's the pix. IMG_3484.jpg reunion 2019.jpg

25. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

They are all dead but one and he is a circle track guy like me.
    There was no organized drag racing when we were in high school.
    Noah had just got back from his trip.

raven, 3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  26. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

27. I have always been a loner so I didn't really have friends in high school. But there were a lot of classmates that were into cars then. I only know of one who still has an old car, he recently had a nice hot older VW bug. He is the only one I have contact with since I moved away and he married my cousin. I do wonder how many of the guys who had hot rods back then are still active. I made most of my hot rod friends after I got out of school and started going to car shows and swap meets.

F-ONE, nunattax, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  28. 3quarter32

3quarter32

5 of my old high school buds were hot rodders and still are today. That was 58 years ago. We still hang out together at least once a month.

29. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

One or two, this was a class project. The gentleman was our teacher 89100367-2C80-45CD-BED7-AD9754A9B887.jpeg 61AA5B68-891F-4B6A-A218-D4ECA138F34E.jpeg A5152549-9897-4171-BAC2-163C68694150.jpeg 5E31CB23-8B8E-40B4-A48E-7578FF7B4588.jpeg D510175E-DA15-4094-8BAE-5E332895E34F.jpeg

30. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

thumbnail (1).jpg Went To My 50 Year Reunion And Out Of A Class Of 99 There Were 2 Of Us Keeping The Faith...