Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Show Me Some Model A's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Jun 16, 2020.

1. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

I'm having a debate on what I want to do with my '31 5 window. Z'd frame/channel the body or a drop axle and a lowering spring in the back or lowered rear end with a drop axle up front. With no fenders. Like to some pictures of both to give me some ideas for the stance and look. So please post some cool A's!

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like low,but not too low. Some over do it an car is mostly not fun to drive if bottoms out too much,an bags are trendy crap ,too me in the weeds BS,looks like four flat tires or stuck in the mud. I built my own cars in the late 1950s an 60s. about 3 to 4 in. off the ground was real cool,but lower was just stupid looking. .
    Channel'ed coupes were an are cool to me.
    There a number of ways to drop a car,even with out a dropped axle or a Z'd frame.
    I used a stock Ford 1948 front axle on my 28"A" with a custom front cross and made up my spring custom too. The rear spring is stock "A",but I like a rake a lot.
    I'll add a photo of front,it's pretty low,with out needing a custom drop axle,as the 48 an a few years earlier all came stock with about 3in. drop built in.
    I don't have a 31 coupe,but the 28 to 31 "A" used the same frame. I did move cross in front a few in. forward so spring can be out front vs on top. 28 rad. drop is behind axle an cut 3 in. lower. No Z or custom drop axle. Just pass along ideas. I did this stuff to this rod in 1959.
    4716667_orig.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

That looks good! I'm looking for low, not too low.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Really? Like no one has ever posted pictures of model A hot rods here before?

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

But...But...I have nothing

6. modelamac

modelamac

Well after not having a Model A for about 10 years, because "I finally realized I was entirely to big for them".... and even though my name on here is ModelAMac... I brought this one home! here's my new '31 Vicky! it's barn fresh... now what to do with it. Oh!, I also bought a '30 Tudor from another person.... 2 Model A's within 3 weeks, I guess when it rains it pours...lol!

Attached Files:

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

My ‘28 Tudor. Frame kicked up 6” in the rear, stock in the front. Reverse eye springs both ends, dropped 4” front axle.

Chopped 3” not channeled.

276” flathead, 3 speed and 3.54 gears.

Cliff Ramsdell
    79419385-B45B-4B08-ACF3-C67DED7623FD.jpeg

dana barlow and Just Gary like this.
  8. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48