Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Has anyone built a 36 ford 1 1/2 ton truck into a hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug Hines, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

A friend of mine has obtained a 36 ford 1 1/2 ton truck cab with a nice grill and hood and side covers. He want to build an open wheeled hot rod truck. Anyone ever see this done? Ideas about frames? He has found a 36 car frame and running gear? He wants to buld it old school with the straight axel flathead drive train and Banjo out back. Someone knows more about this than me. Please help! and Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A local guy who ran one of the Shell stations here in town had a chopped and channeled 36 pickup with a shortened box on it in the early 60's that I drooled over more than a little bit and it may be what a grill shell I have came off but I have never found blue paint on it.
    I'm thinking that the car frame is pretty close if not the same as a truck from in that time frame.
    There is a local guy who has a little 36 bobber truck that I used to meet on the road a lot on my way to work. I think I only saw it at one show as he doesn't seem to do shows. It has the "look" though.
    Borrowed this from the net in a search for 1936 Ford Bobber truck but it shows a guy can build a simple little hot rod pickup out of one. The one (s) with a deuce shell just flat ass don't look right. they need a truck shell. 1936-ford-hot-rod.jpg
    Photo Credits to Classic Car exports where I borrowed the photo.

3. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

What about it being a 1.5 ton we are starting with?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've got the cab, hood and grill shell off a 1935 Ford 1 1/2 ton ex dump truck. They are the same as a 1/2 ton except the radiator shell is slightly different. I'll be putting it together with a 1/2 ton frame and fenders.It will look like a stock 35 pickup when done.
    I've also got a 42 dodge cab which I'm building as a bobber truck which I think you're trying to build. I used a aftermarket 32 Ford front cross member and and everything is custom from there on back. This is as far as I've gotten. I still have to chop the cab, make a hood and alter a 36 Ford pickup radiator shell to fit.
    WP_20160827_12_34_22_Pro.jpg
    As for a 35-36 Ford bobber truck, I think this is what you're talking about.. These pictures came off the NET but there is a article in Street Rodder ( June 2014) on the car. It partially shows a custom frame with spring over axle. You're looking at a lot of fabrication.
    IMG_92041_zpsa9b7481f.jpg lakes headers.jpg

Attached Files:

• OIP.jpg
      OIP.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020

5. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks so much for the info. Yes I think a bobber truck is it. Thanks

6. Here, cut and paste this in the Search menu at the top of all pages. 1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses. You will now learn more information on these Trucks than you ever thought existed.

warhorseracing likes this.
  7. The cab is the same size, the only thing not the same as a half ton is the fenders and the chassis, well and it would have commercial lights which are desirable in some circles.

The chassis can be cut down, you use car or 1/2 ton truck axles and brakes and loose the fenders (FTF baby). It has been done by someone more than once.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

9. finn

finn

The other difference is that the 1 1/2 ton truck has the gas tank under the seat, with the fill neck inside the cab by the right door.

Both of my 36 pickups started out a 1 1/2 ton trucks. The South Dakota title on one said Grain Truck on it. It now has a passenger car frame of unknown model year.

The other is still disassembled, with a car 39 frame patiently waiting.

67L36Driver likes this.
  10. greener200

greener200

Let the gathering commence . Ford Frames are the same 35 to 40 +/- .That 36 cab should sit right on that 36 car frame and make things easy as far as the front sheet metal/radiator goes .I did the same thing .39 two ton tanker into a 39 picup . Holes for the cab lined right up with the holes on the 39 (car) frame..you'll need all the picup only , goodies (of course) ,,grill ,running boards. Ebay,C-list,Fordbarn are your friends . Took me a while.Met allot of Great people along the way .I still have the hole behind the passenger door for the old gas neck .Needs paint but I dont need that to DRIVE IT . 20200607_171423.jpg

11. nor6304

nor6304
    from Indiana

I started with a 36 1 1/2 ton Bought a 36 car frame 40 front suspension 65 Mustang 8" 46 Ford 59AB flathead Used the cab hood & sides Grille shell Headlights Most other body parts after market Fun truck IMG_2969.JPG

12. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thank you for all the amazing help and info. I had no doubt in our audience of experts. Buying a 35-40 car frame on its axles tomorrow. Then it begins.

guthriesmith and Roothawg like this.
  13. trollst

trollst

Mine, started out life as a Bellingham Washington airport fire truck, spent its life in a hangar. It was perfect when I aquired it, I put it on a 51 ford pickup frame, built the box from 16 gauge, been a hot rod for twenty years. DSC07686.JPG DSC07687.JPG DSC07688.JPG

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

15. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

[​IMG]

Can anyone help identify what year this is? We are told 35-40 ford car?

16. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

17. Mine is a work in progress with a '37 big truck cab, fenders, and hood and a '35 grille. It is mounted on an OT 84 LWB Ranger frame to emulate a Marmon Herrington converted 4X4. It does have a "51 Flathead adapted to the C4 transmission and transfer case.

Doug Hines likes this.
  18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Look for a serial number on the top of the frame in the area where the steering box would be.

19. Just to cut to the chase here, because another thread was started about this, it's a 35 car.

20. Crayons

Crayons

My buddy's 36 currently under construction. 1-1/2 ton cab and doors, shortened 48 pickup bed, custom built frame, and 312 Y-block with 3-speed/o erdrive...

Attached Files: