Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects All steel 32 Vicky, it’s not chopped and full fendered, blown Ardun 8BA, what wheels?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rsinor, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Me too. But it's hard.

2. mkubacak

mkubacak

Gary knows how to pick a color.

The37Kid and WiredSpider like this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No TT's on a SCoT blown Ardun. Geez! Like putting sneakers on Michelangelo's David. :rolleyes: If you can afford the Ardun you can afford magnesium Halibrand's...and a black paint job.

4. That clown car needs paint, sorry. No where on Gods green Earth should maroon and orange be paired. Could be improved upon with a decent solid color paint. The wires do have an Early Times style to them. If it were up to me I would scuff it and make it all maroon.

Kiwi 4d, The37Kid, flatford39 and 4 others like this.
  5. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

My original post said “but it’s orange/red with maroon top” frankly it’s mine, it’s painted the way I want it. I ask about wheels because I no longer am infatuated with the look of the wires and need to buy at least two new wheels even if I keep them because I am going to raise the front because of my concern about the pan. I will not let it fall below the axle but am concerned about how low it was before this project started.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The gold standard for me when I think of deuce Vickys.
    a4fe40ac-8acf-4a57-a707-7c58e5da6e8b-1024x624.png

7. Budget36

Budget36

@rsinor

I think what members are saying there are streetrods and hotrods, you have been a member for quite some time, regardless of post count, so you should have an idea what the HAMB is about.

8. I think some of you guys have been cooped up too long...:rolleyes:

clem likes this.
  9. The problem we all seem to have is determining a "traditional" wheel choice on a car that has such a distinctive color choice, that is "non-traditional", it's bringing two distinctive styles together, which fight each other, with no winner.
    Cars with "the look" have achieved it by adhering to a specific style/era throughout.
    To stay consistent with your cars theme, the best wheel choice may be what you already have.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

That makes two of us.:) Have a nice day.

Bob

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. I would go with steel wheels painted the same maroon color as the upper body. Dog dish hub caps to have a bit of shiny but not make the wheels the focal point.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the trouble is that you have been a member here for 5 years and apparently have no Idea what this site is about. The Hamb focuses on 65 and older cars built in the styles popular before 1965. So you are asking opinions of a bunch of hot rodders about a street rod. Yes there is a difference between a hot rod and a street rod

13. rsinor

rsinor
    from Owasso, OK

OK, I got it, a long time ago. But, I do appreciate those that offered opinions on the original question.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and clem like this.
  14. alchemy

alchemy

I think a car like this (a Vicky, which has a lot of "pop" on its own, with an Ardun to boot) could use some calm wheels to tone it down a little. Provide some reason amongst all the wild and crazy. Maybe try some body colored '40 Ford steelies. There's lots of guys on the HAMB who do photoshop work. One of them could sample it up for you.

15. redo32

redo32

Nothing sets the tone of a hot rod or any car for that matter, as the wheels and tires. Everybody should have two or three sets to change up the looks as your mood suits. One set of wires, set of steelies, 5 spoke gray Americans and polished Halibrands. One set should have white walls.
    If you had a good side view picture the guys on the photoshop thread could give you an idea of what different wheels would look like. In my mind painted wheels that match the red or plain 5 spoke as well as satin Halibrand style will tend to tone down the color combination of the body. On second thought that would be the same reason not to have white walls.

The epitome of a hot rod is a California rake with the proper ratio of front to rear tire size. If you put larger tires on the front you loose that eye appeal. A larger tire will not change the relationship of the axle to pan. I presume you wanted the axle to act as a protector of the cast pan. You would have to raise the motor and that will cause interference with the floor and you don't want to have to rebuild the trans hump and interior in your otherwise finished car. The easier way is to replace the (presumably) reversed eye spring or even simpler install a spacer between the spring and the crossmember. That will ruin a little bit of your rake (I like the way it sits now) but looking at the picture of Henderson's Vicky it is not that low in front and his car is one that all Vicky's are judged against.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and clem like this.
  16. clem

clem

hang in there, some are already helpful, - and some will be helpful !
    Thanks for posting the pic of your ‘40 coupe, both of your cars are really nice.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rotogravure version of the car, From when we thought all cars were black or gray. orange 32 Vic (4).jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Could you place the car on a flat surface so we don't get seasick?

Bob

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  19. tim troutman

tim troutman

GREAT CAR vented steelies may be remove the purple stripe go with a more traditional pinstriping job could give the car a more traditional feel. maybe a set of aluminum slots could pass for late 60s early 70's

20. 8C6ABDAF-B490-4B51-9F31-E4170A58216B.jpeg 955671FF-3E33-43F4-810C-B04A2DDD28A1.jpeg 2620A966-6473-4AC7-B843-FFF11C2EFB0F.jpeg ADBE792F-4F7B-45AF-A448-99B651858447.jpeg 8B5D3237-480C-4DFE-A9CD-F2001E50DA00.jpeg 55-57 Chrysler Imperial artillery wheels—-same pattern as early Ford——5 on 5.5. Machinist friend made tool to punch 4 indentations for mounting early Ford hubcaps—-all 4 wheels same size 15 inch diameter,no noticeable problems from curb encounters.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. DigDugMd

DigDugMd

Maybe a set of Chip Foose 22" Billets????

Tman and WiredSpider like this.
  22. :rolleyes:

The paint is nice, albeit not “ traditional”

any wheel will look good on it. Why not go with a 15” wire.
    They look sharp and tread the line between rod and street rod.

23. Johnny99

Johnny99

Paint? Whatever. You have a 32 Vicky! This blue one has always been my one of my favorites, I like em laying low. This car looks to be running either Real Rodders or American Rebel wheels with a "trick" wheel on the rear for that deep look. I'm using the American Rebel wheels on my 34, 15 x 4.5 and 15 x 8 "trick" wheels, those rears only have 2.25" back space, takes a some whittling to make them work. The American Rebel folks could not have been any nicer and great customer service!

1932-ford-victoria-vicky-deuce-hotrod-roadster-coupe-1940-halibrand-steel-1933-1-4.JPG DSC01607.JPG

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Nice car!
    @madfish knocked this one out for me. (;))
    I'd do it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  25. Why didn't you have the heads and blower polished? The as-cast look doesn't really fit with the rest of the car, IMO. There are some 70s-era cars with Arduns. I'd try to find some photos of those and go from there.

chryslerfan55, Tman and The37Kid like this.
  26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me in the Halibrand line. Even the newer ETs that look like em. I was almost all in on steels until the photoshop above. Kills the car, no badass "vibe" signaling the Ardun motor that lurks within. I'm with you also that it's your car, you didn't give me the color option, and if YOU like it you're winning. Yeah, Halibrands. And maybe once in a while run without hood sides since it's so easy. Computor monitors seldom capture true color, but it looks like your darker color even has a near burnt orange tone to it. Is that right? If so it likely looks better in person but still strays from the vintage soul a bit. Did I say Halibrands? I meant to...

27. Ditto on what @Johnny99 said.. But @Moriarity is right... pre 65 Hot Rods.. .. nice Street Rod

WiredSpider and Moriarity like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

You could expect to see an ARDUN in that one. Nice car. Bob

29. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

If you want all 4 the same, I would go with cream colored artillery wheels,caps & rings. I have a set of steelies and a set of 5 spoke mags. Swapping them is like going through a 15 year time warp.